PDA

View Full Version : Straw why do you use it?

Airwave
04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Just curious why you guys and ladies over in the US use straw when seeding we have never done this here in Ireland. Maybe something we should do if there is a good reason for it. Thanks in advance.

procut
04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
It holds moisture.

Airwave
04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Fair enough I had kinda guessed that part will think about maybe testing it out here although not sure how clients will react when they see a lawn full of straw instead of seed. Do you go back and take straw off or does customer do it?

FATWEASEL
04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
The grass grows through it and the straw decomposes into the lawn. Not everyone uses straw. Some use nothing, some topdress with topsoil, mushroom compost, even some paper products (pellets).

Andy:)

eshreve1234
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Whats a bale of straw go for in Ireland?

Airwave
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Not a clue never bought any before prob would end up being quite expensive to cover a 1 acre lawn with straw plus the time it would take to cover it. I am looking to buy a new seeder for my new second hand tractor which I am hoping to purchase I think with pre seed fertilizer and everything it should be sufficient but still interesting about using the straw.

bigtex
04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Keeps The Birds From Eating The Seed

tthomass
04-11-2007, 07:47 PM
The #1 reason is erosion control and sediment run-off.

AGLA
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Ding!

tthomas is correct.

tjhocraf
04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
It also helps retain soil moisture by shading seed and soil

ACutAboveNC
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
It also produces a wheat field and does not decompose all the way. Also, if there is a strong wind you will be chasing it around the neighborhood. I find that the tac from Lesco works the best for applications of bare areas because you do not need to cover a whole yard in straw if you have a good stand and the tac works just as well as straw and you do not have the mess to deal with in the spring. I have hated straw since day one and usually if I pick up a new client in the spring I have to spray MSMA because of the wheat field that their previous landscapers grew instead of grass. And the wheat will cause a thinner stand of grass in the spring and create holes in your turf allowing weeds to enter. That is my two cents.

sandman23
04-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm with acutabove on this one. I do agree that it helps hold the seed especially on slopes however it makes a huge mess and you will be fighting weeds for years. My neighbor just seeded his lawn and covered it with straw. I don't know why, it is not the time of year to seed fescue in GA. It will die in August when the heat hits it. I now have weeds grass all through my previously weedless fescue. It was proof enough for me.

gqnine44
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Keeps The Birds From Eating The Seed

People say this all the time. Is it really true? Do birds even eat grass seed?

lawnspecialties
04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
People say this all the time. Is it really true? Do birds even eat grass seed?

Geese love it. I've seen them swarm on "under construction" highways where they've seeded to prevent runoff.

MikeLT1Z28
04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
the one thing i hate about hay/straw is the germination of weed seeds.

Mike33
04-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Straw or mulch weather it is applied by hand or machine is for protection of the seed. I hydro-seed and dont like straw it causes weeds and can be a pita to remove. I use 70-30 wood blend mulch via of hydro-seeding. However straw will work better in the heat of the summer giving better insulation so the seed dont bake.
Mke