PDA

View Full Version : Best place to dispose of clipping?

laidback2309
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
This one lady is crazy about bagging! I gave her the who talk about how mulching can keep nutrients in the lawn yada yada but she doesnt care. She agreed to pay a higher price to bag, but now i'm stuck with these clippings. I just want to know what you guys do with your clippings? Can you bring them to a city dump? do you pay someone to take them? can you sell them to a compost/mulch operation? What about trees that you've removed from the property? I need to figure something out or else im gonna wind up with a truck overflowing with lawn clippings and stumps.:dizzy: :help:

Ecoscape01
04-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Me too! I got a bunch of junk in the back of my truck right now from a yard cleanup. The first load I paid to take it to a dump and they charged me 37. I billed the customer for it but it wasn't included on my estimate so I found some woods to get rid of the second load and the third is still in my truck. I'de also like to know how most guys get rid of their junk.

jason9696
04-11-2007, 03:26 PM
The local recycling center in my town takes leaves and small twigs. As for trees, they will be put out in the pasture, or chopped if it is good firewood.

CoreyD
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
yea i take my stuff to the city dump.... its free here.... its just a b!tch having to use the pitchfork for about an hour or so unloading my dump trailer.... which isint high enough to just tilt it over the container lol.....

as for ecoscapes you cant dump in the woods around here you got gamewardens all over the place here just hiding in the woods waiting for somthing like that lol

Patatoe1
04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Up until this year, we bagged and binned most of our yard waste including grass clippings. We became friends with local garbage men and they took it off our hands. This year we bought a dump truck and found a place not to far that charges 10-15 a yard for waste.

bigmudder77
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
i have made a compost pile and have a farmer come and take it once a year to spread on his feild before he tills it up and plants.

as for the trees FIREWOOD and the little branches go to a fire as well. if you are not alloud to have fires i am sure you can find some one that will let you burn stuff on there proprity. i have burned so many sticks and leaves and stuff that it gets old after a while but its free to me. so why pay when i can burn for free?

also you can try to give it to animals (grass clippings at least) we use to feed our cows that when some one wanted it cleaned up. you can get the mowers with out paying tax (at least in ohio) if you say all the clipping are going to your livestock.

hope this helps you out.

toac
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
i have made a compost pile and have a farmer come and take it once a year to spread on his feild before he tills it up and plants.

as for the trees FIREWOOD and the little branches go to a fire as well. if you are not alloud to have fires i am sure you can find some one that will let you burn stuff on there proprity. i have burned so many sticks and leaves and stuff that it gets old after a while but its free to me. so why pay when i can burn for free?

also you can try to give it to animals (grass clippings at least) we use to feed our cows that when some one wanted it cleaned up. you can get the mowers with out paying tax (at least in ohio) if you say all the clipping are going to your livestock.

hope this helps you out.

aboslutely. the branches and trees make great firewood. finished a cleanup last week. took everything out back and had myself a fire. took about an hour to burn the branches and everything, but now it's just ash. it was also an excuse to say up a little later and have a few beers:drinkup: :drinkup:

turbo5560
04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Around here most people have a seperate garbage container for yard waste that gets picked up once a week apr-nov. So that makes it easy. But for commercial or customers that don't have the big bins i throw it in the back of the truck or the dump trailer. Get to know a farmer and ask to dump it in their fields, or we also feed to cows. But only feed to cows with little to no fertilzer, it give the cows the runs ;) (not like they don't have it already). The local dump charged $35 a ton, very steap in my opinion.

Ecoscape01
04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Around here most people have a seperate garbage container for yard waste that gets picked up once a week apr-nov. So that makes it easy. But for commercial or customers that don't have the big bins i throw it in the back of the truck or the dump trailer. Get to know a farmer and ask to dump it in their fields, or we also feed to cows. But only feed to cows with little to no fertilzer, it give the cows the runs ;) (not like they don't have it already). The local dump charged $35 a ton, very steap in my opinion.

Well I got screwed. I had to pay 7.5 cents per pound last weekend. 500 pounds cost me 35 bucks. And it was all yard waste. Every city should provide dumping for that stuff for free. It's BS that mine doesn't or at least I haven't found a township dump that does

Mow It All llc
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
We can get rid of it free here in the county dump, but my favorite place to get rid of it is the lawn i cut it from.....I have 3 customers that want it bagged and to this day they have never realized I dont bag it.

TJLANDS
04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
We can get rid of it free here in the county dump, but my favorite place to get rid of it is the lawn i cut it from.....I have 3 customers that want it bagged and to this day they have never realized I dont bag it.

The county dump was closed for grass much of last year(new Hampshire ave.)

Which dump are you referring to?

turbo5560
04-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I think it's awesome that you screw your customer over and stick it to them by telling them you will bag their grass, charge them for it, and then don't!

Umm... just kidding! Sounds like another good honest LCO that makes the rest of us look bad.

NELawnCare
04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
I think it's awesome that you screw your customer over and stick it to them by telling them you will bag their grass, charge them for it, and then don't!

Umm... just kidding! Sounds like another good honest LCO that makes the rest of us look bad.

Yea, I don't play by those rule either. I run a fair and honest shop. :nono:

Mow It All llc
04-13-2007, 09:26 AM
The county dump was closed for grass much of last year(new Hampshire ave.)

Which dump are you referring to?

See TJ thats how much I bag that I didnt know they were closed a few months....lol Actually I went there at the begining of the year cause the grass was higher and needed to be bagged, I think June was the last time I went there.....I was there last week with leaves and the girl said they were taking it as of now anyway, and the Manchester dumps on 70 takes it as well

lawnpro724
04-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Its getting almost impossible to get rid of anything around here anymore. City won't take it and niether will the dump and about the only thing left to do is buy some property outside of city limits to dump and burn off later but there trying to ban that tool.

SSEnterprises
04-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Ecoscape, I guess you went to Eldridge to dump? Try Highland Orchards, they seem to be the cheapest around WC.

xtrim
04-14-2007, 03:15 PM
I go to the Dump... just got back, 800lbs of stuff for 7 bucks.

If you can't take it to the dump, you could have the contracts made to bag it but not remove it, so you leave it at the customer's curb for pick up. Or find a way to make it into compost to sell it.

JD657757
04-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I have a dumpster for yard waste only. It is 5 cubic yards they come and get it every week. This is great because I can get rid of my garbage on my own time. The billing goes from April-November it cost 140 a month.

WJW Lawn
04-14-2007, 08:34 PM
What is this thing you call...bagging?

NewHorizon's Land
04-14-2007, 10:44 PM
If you are a homeowner its free contractor they charge at my county dump. The trash man will also take it. We have a retirement community we bag and have trashcans and the trash guy comes every tuesday and friday and he takes it.

Pastaboy62
04-14-2007, 11:33 PM
I dump in my neighbors backyard. The whole house is rundown so I can just go back there and dump. I don't have that much to deal with so it works. Just smells a little bit in the summer.