PDA

View Full Version : fist callback today

cupzandamug
04-11-2007, 03:54 PM
:confused:
[CO LOR="Black"][/COLOR]

i passed out about 700 flyers today (i know i shouldve passed out more,but the 700 were the first of the copies someone ran off for me)and i received a callback rather fast.

IT WAS THE POSTMASTER.
she said that it was illegal to put anything anywhere on the mailbox unless they have a box under the mailbox. very few mailboxes around here have boxes under them(for newspapers) my question is what are some alternatives to the flyer method. someone said mailing them, but(i know this might sound dumb)where do you get the adresses from, and how do u target the area around your house, because driving door 2 door is gas cosuming you pretty much know the area that hit.reason being is there are houses around appartments and i wouldnt want to waste a flyer on them. thanks in advance

Ecoscape01
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Direct mailing is pretty expensive if your on a low budget but in my area, the contractor who I sub for seems to get the best response from direct mailing. You can purchase address lists from various companies online. You can order those lists based on many different criteria such as income, age, size of property, etc....Google direct mailing and you'll find all the info you need. Talk to your post office about setting up a bulk mailing account. It is 160 set up fee and then an annual fee of 160. You need to do at least 200 mailings per year I think which isn't much but it's not worth it unless you do thousands. When you bulk mail the per piece price ranges from like 13 - 24 cents per piece depending on the size of what your mailing.

bigmudder77
04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
PUT FLYERS IN THERE PAPERBOX NOT THE MAIL BOX. if they dont have one its time to do some walking and go door to door and slide it under. (pay kids a couple dollers and they will do it for you most of the time)

cupzandamug
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
PUT FLYERS IN THERE PAPERBOX NOT THE MAIL BOX. if they dont have one its time to do some walking and go door to door and slide it under. (pay kids a couple dollers and they will do it for you most of the time)

i had my nephew with me but i had no idea
:hammerhead:

cupzandamug
04-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Direct mailing is pretty expensive if your on a low budget but in my area, the contractor who I sub for seems to get the best response from direct mailing. You can purchase address lists from various companies online. You can order those lists based on many different criteria such as income, age, size of property, etc....Google direct mailing and you'll find all the info you need. Talk to your post office about setting up a bulk mailing account. It is 160 set up fee and then an annual fee of 160. You need to do at least 200 mailings per year I think which isn't much but it's not worth it unless you do thousands. When you bulk mail the per piece price ranges from like 13 - 24 cents per piece depending on the size of what your mailing.

and i am on a budget but i think i can or will have 2 make room forit. now about the bulk mail......... i throw away bulk mail everyday, will it go out looking like a regular letter,because i dont want 2 waste the little funds i do have,so can anyone tell me if they had success w/ this.

ChadsLawn
04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Heres my was of doign flyers...Go out and get boxes of 1 gallon twisty tie storage bags. Goto Home Depot and get bags of white river rock. Goto Walmart to the hair brush section and get boxes if small rubber band hair ties. They should be no bigger then a quarter. Small the better. Go home and open the bags of rock in your driveway, rinse them off real good. Let dry. Roll all your flyers lettering out so your name in what shows. Put a msall rubber band around it, insert into 1 gallon bag. Insert a rock or 2 depending on size. Tie bag.. All done. The rick is so the bag doesnt fly off sitting on the driveway. Nothing illeagle on throwing on a driveway....

Hope this helps..

cupzandamug
04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Heres my was of doign flyers...Go out and get boxes of 1 gallon twisty tie storage bags. Goto Home Depot and get bags of white river rock. Goto Walmart to the hair brush section and get boxes if small rubber band hair ties. They should be no bigger then a quarter. Small the better. Go home and open the bags of rock in your driveway, rinse them off real good. Let dry. Roll all your flyers lettering out so your name in what shows. Put a msall rubber band around it, insert into 1 gallon bag. Insert a rock or 2 depending on size. Tie bag.. All done. The rick is so the bag doesnt fly off sitting on the driveway. Nothing illeagle on throwing on a driveway....

Hope this helps..hmmmmmmmmmmm. u might have something here. i could pass them out at night so when they leave in the morning.........:sleeping: :walking: :dancing: thanks for the idea

CoreyD
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Chadslawn.... how good has that worked?

Ecoscape01
04-11-2007, 04:38 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm. u might have something here. i could pass them out at night so when they leave in the morning.........:sleeping: :walking: :dancing: thanks for the idea

I've read guys on here knock that way of doing it saying it's littering but my mother talked to may Aunt last week. My Aunt said that someone did that in her upscale neighborhood and she thought it was very creative and if she needed services, she would've called the company. I may try it in the future.

Sorensen Lawn Care Inc
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I bought door hangers this year. 10,000 for about $425 at door-knob-hangers.com. If that is too expensive just buy some rubber bands, roll the flyer and attach it to the door knob. I have got a lot of calls... pays for the advertising real fast.

cupzandamug
04-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I bought door hangers this year. 10,000 for about $425 at door-knob-hangers.com. If that is too expensive just buy some rubber bands, roll the flyer and attach it to the door knob. I have got a lot of calls... pays for the advertising real fast.

thanks, u guys are vert helpful on here. im taking everything in and will way all options.w/ the doorhangers i COULD hit the townhome developments.(most dont have mailboxes in front of their house.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
i always wondered if that happened. they did it to me a few years ago. I put some out this year on the door of the mailbox on a sunday so people would see them. i did not get as many calls as i should so i am kind of wondering.

adam

cupzandamug
04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
JUST LEFT doorhangers.com. pretty good stuff, anyway started filling out the form(online) and i ran across a spot where i can upload a pic. thought about takin a pic of my equip. what do u guys think? o yeah called them also, they said that u didnt have 2 put your card info over the net,just type in the 'special box' and tell them 2 call for creditcard info. an idea just came......what about a pic of a nice lawn,even if i didnt cut it?

bohiaa
04-11-2007, 06:49 PM
this is where WE failed you.....

everyone from this board.....

Sorry this happened to you

GreenN'Clean
04-11-2007, 07:11 PM
I have gave up handing out fliers and just do direct mailing and ads in the newspaper and it has worked a lot better then doing the fliers

LushGreenLawn
04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Green and Clean,
Where do you get your mailing lists from? I am in Kent County.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Your from Maryland i see .use the pennysaver,paper We get 25-35 New clients everyear.

GreenN'Clean
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I look on mapquest and find certain developments that I want to target its free and easy

BQLC
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
JUST LEFT doorhangers.com. pretty good stuff, anyway started filling out the form(online) and i ran across a spot where i can upload a pic. thought about takin a pic of my equip. what do u guys think? o yeah called them also, they said that u didnt have 2 put your card info over the net,just type in the 'special box' and tell them 2 call for creditcard info. an idea just came......what about a pic of a nice lawn,even if i didnt cut it?

Not a good Idea

capelawncare.com
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
There is a software program called Hill Donnelly. basically its a high tech reverse directory. You can target certain areas of your town. Sort by homeowners, business Etc. This is a great tool for about 180 bucks.

Also public information is a great source of Information. I send out direct mail to every new homeowner each month. I get great response from this. This information should be available thru your local tax collector. Or ask a realtor, they could tell you where to get in your area.

Good Luck

cupzandamug
04-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Not a good Idea

what part the doorhangers or the pic?

cupzandamug
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
this is where WE failed you.....

everyone from this board.....

Sorry this happened to you

you failed who? actually you 've been helpful in trying to figure out the up and downs of different advertising methods...

cupzandamug
04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
received an actual estimate call just now!:clapping: im kind of geeked up, but anyway i set it up for friday at 10 am.

grass2cash
04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Try craigslist.org. I've gotten several calls using this free service and the effort is minimal. I use craigslist and flyers. On my flyers I include a curb estimate and provide my services on both sides. My stepfather is a Postmaster and he informed me that you can advertise at a resident as long as you do not do so inside of the actual mailbox. Good luck!

dannyboy20
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Try craigslist.org. I've gotten several calls using this free service and the effort is minimal. I use craigslist and flyers. On my flyers I include a curb estimate and provide my services on both sides. My stepfather is a Postmaster and he informed me that you can advertise at a resident as long as you do not do so inside of the actual mailbox. Good luck!

Thats good to know.

Poncho25
04-12-2007, 05:17 PM
wow... you guys want to make your business successful but yet are not willing to put the sweat in the area that will help it get that way? You might want to rethink your thoughts about getting into any business for yourself if your not willing to do the grunt work. Hence going around hanging door hangers. Tossing stuff on driveways, your lucky if you get 1 out of 100 that might even open it and look before tossing it in the garbage, same with spam in their mailbox thats not legal placed there, I mean come on now!! Craigslist, local newspaper, yellow pages on line, goto your local pizza place and offer a free cut with a sign on of a month, then its your job to keep that client for more then that month!! Yeah yeah, people always bash about giving stuff away for free, but you know what! IT WORKS!!! Everyone wants something free, and if you can sell yourself and get a yearly client for one free service out of a month! well you do the math, but in the end I think you both make out. The client does because they have a reliable, quality service that you offer, and it should be nothing less, and you have a yearly client!

Sorry just ranting.

mountianview
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Reverse white pages gives names of people on street's I think to sell yourself to your perspective clients with a friendly smile ,.and door hanger in hand is how I'm going to approach my future clients. looking as professional as possible and real neighborly.

angelosantojoe1
04-18-2007, 11:03 PM
i wanted to send out 5000 flyers but the price was to high for buld mail it was 160 for bulk mail lic. 160 per year to send them puld 12 cents a letter. and u still have to mail them. i was able to find my local newspaper would send 7000 out for only 230 that is way cheeper