PDA

View Full Version : Usa Ramps problem

troblandscape
04-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I bought a box truck and just got the USA ramps after alot of research on ramps, everybody seemed to love them, so I bought them and put them on today. I was all happy and ready to drive my brand new toro rider up and:cry: got stuck,.... rear wheels a spinnin, the rear mower frame bottoms out on the road I had to get another guy to help me get unjammed, I felt like a total tool. I called usa ramps, and am waiting for a call back. Just really dissapointed.:confused:

razor1
04-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Just curious, What's the ramp length and the truck height? Any pics available?

Eclipse
04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
What type of box truck did you put them on? Obviosuly you approach angle is too steep and I wondering if that is because the deck height of the truck is taller than what they designed the ramps around? Just a thought.

troblandscape
04-11-2007, 05:36 PM
ramps 10 ft. long hieght I have to measure for you here is a pic without the ramps, its a standard box truck

troblandscape
04-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Disregard my last post, The truck is a 99 Chevy as common of a box truck you can get. I bought two 10ft safe-t-ramps. I can get the mower up but I have to really angle it, and it is really awkward, some the I dont want to be dealing with 60 times a day. For 1350$ I was hoping that this would work for my app. as the pic on their website has my same set-up and mower. Here are pics of when it is about to bottom out so can see the pitch isn't right. It also scraps the heck out of the asphalt when I do angle it off. I am hoping someone else who has experience this can help me out, I still haven't heard from usa ramp.

Rizzo
04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Can you back it in? Not what you wanted to hear probably for the money you spent. That sucks though...

HenryB
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
The rear bumper that is scraping can be cut and then weld a peice of steel straight across.

Rizzo
04-11-2007, 06:29 PM
What are those two L shaped brackets for anyway? The frame member looks to be above that.

HenryB
04-11-2007, 06:34 PM
What are those two L shaped brackets for anyway? The frame member looks to be above that.

They are to make you bottom out on the slightest incline. They also protect the mule belt pulley but it can and should be set much higher.

Rizzo
04-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I guess I have similar brackets on my Everride but they are angled like you are suggesting for the Toro instead of L shaped...

Scag48
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I have a lot of experience with heavy equipment and ramps and I know I wouldn't want to back that mower DOWN that ramp. Back it up into the truck and drive it out forward. Think of it this way, what if you were backing down just over the breaking point and suddenly stopped into neutral and the brakes engaged? The mower might flip over backwards. The mower might look pretty stable front to back, but I would only back up those ramps.

Eclipse
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
I have a lot of experience with heavy equipment and ramps and I know I wouldn't want to back that mower DOWN that ramp. Back it up into the truck and drive it out forward. Think of it this way, what if you were backing down just over the breaking point and suddenly stopped into neutral and the brakes engaged? The mower might flip over backwards. The mower might look pretty stable front to back, but I would only back up those ramps.

That is actually a good point that I did not think about when I originally looked at the photos.

This may or may not help with the approach angle issues but it is something to think about.

green_mark
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I bought a box truck and just got the USA ramps after alot of research on ramps, everybody seemed to love them, so I bought them and put them on today. I was all happy and ready to drive my brand new toro rider up and:cry: got stuck,.... rear wheels a spinnin, the rear mower frame bottoms out on the road I had to get another guy to help me get unjammed, I felt like a total tool. I called usa ramps, and am waiting for a call back. Just really dissapointed.:confused:

That is why we build them 12' long and strong enough to hold up to heavy usage.

Call 651-295-8388

troblandscape
04-11-2007, 08:20 PM
As far as backing up, the rear frame would hit the ramps, even if it didnt bottom out the rear wheels would spin when backing because all of the weight is in the front of the rear wheels. I think I might have to cut the mower frame, beside this problem, the ramps are well built and easy to put up and down. I am hoping it was a fab. mistake on the pitch. Usa will probably call tomorrow.

DLCS
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I know its not what you want to hear and this is a temporary solution. Try putting a piece of 2"x4" under the bottom of the gate. This should give you enough clearance to make it up the ramp. I wonder if your truck uses taller tires or when the upfitter installed the box, they might have used more blocking on top of frame rails. Not all box trucks are exactly the same height a couple of inches would make all the difference.

troblandscape
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I know its not what you want to hear and this is a temporary solution. Try putting a piece of 2"x4" under the bottom of the gate. This should give you enough clearance to make it up the ramp. I wonder if your truck uses taller tires or when the upfitter installed the box, they might have used more blocking on top of frame rails. Not all box trucks are exactly the same height a couple of inches would make all the difference.

Thanks, I was thinking about putting a board under the ramp, but my guys mow between 30 and 40 lawns a day and it would become a real pita. I got this rig to make cutting life easier.....,

troblandscape
04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Here is the picture that Usa Ramp has on their website, Look at the frame on the mower,..... I have never had a LAzer Z but I thought the were basically the same. Am I crazy or has that frame been modified. Also Do you think they should state that modification to mowers is necessary to use their product before you purchase??

razor1
04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I have 3 Lazer Z's and I don't think they look like the one pictured there. You are probably right, the one in there ad may have been modified.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you could beavertail off the existing bed which would lower your ramp incline. Just an idea. See pic.
Good Luck

ashs inc
04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
that is an awesome bed where did you get that from?

DLCS
04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Here is the picture that Usa Ramp has on their website, Look at the frame on the mower,..... I have never had a LAzer Z but I thought the were basically the same. Am I crazy or has that frame been modified. Also Do you think they should state that modification to mowers is necessary to use their product before you purchase??

I think you are correct in that the mower pictured above is modified. My JD 757's would not go up that ramp due to the brackets for the baggers, as i think alot of mowers would probably have the same problem. Yes they should state that modication to the mowers is necessary. Really though all they would have to do is make the ramp a little longer and problem would be solved.:dizzy: I would send it back and find a local fabricator that can build you one.

troblandscape
04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah I think I am going to have to send them back

robknasel
04-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Hello,
I almost sent my ramps back when I first received them and mounted them. I called Lowell the owner/ engineer of USA ramps. One of my ramps was not welded correctly and it leans towards my rear roll up door. I called Lowell and told him about my problem. After Lowell telling me that the way to secure the ramps to the box truck was by using the cargo strap I was ready to send them back. Then I thought of the solution. My ramps are held on by using a hinge strap and hitch pin from TSC. I dont have the pictures to send you with me but Lowell does. I am not trying to sell you on these ramps, but I have been extremely happy with mine. I also have a TORO Z Master 30hp 60inch 2007 model and I have had the same issue as you have. I just turn at the last minute to clear the ramp. But now that I see that if I modify these brackets that it will clear I plan on hiring a welder to take care of this issue. Think about it you have spent some good money to make this truck and ramps and mower happen dont give up now. It does work. I have not posted my setup on here because I dont beleive in advertising your expesive equipment to the public. Talk to you later

RobKnasel
www.springfieldsignaturelawncare.com

troblandscape
04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Hello,
I almost sent my ramps back when I first received them and mounted them. I called Lowell the owner/ engineer of USA ramps. One of my ramps was not welded correctly and it leans towards my rear roll up door. I called Lowell and told him about my problem. After Lowell telling me that the way to secure the ramps to the box truck was by using the cargo strap I was ready to send them back. Then I thought of the solution. My ramps are held on by using a hinge strap and hitch pin from TSC. I dont have the pictures to send you with me but Lowell does. I am not trying to sell you on these ramps, but I have been extremely happy with mine. I also have a TORO Z Master 30hp 60inch 2007 model and I have had the same issue as you have. I just turn at the last minute to clear the ramp. But now that I see that if I modify these brackets that it will clear I plan on hiring a welder to take care of this issue. Think about it you have spent some good money to make this truck and ramps and mower happen dont give up now. It does work. I have not posted my setup on here because I dont believe in advertising your expensive equipment to the public. Talk to you later

RobKnasel
www.springfieldsignaturelawncare.com

Thanks for all your help Rob. So you are telling me you can get up your ramps with out scraping the asphalt an leaving deep marks when you turn it?. I think I am going to hire a welder now but I think that USA should have note that mowers need to be modified to use their system and for that I will seek some reimbursement. I hope this thread help out someone in the market for this kind of set-up.

Tadams
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
That pic of the lazer from their website is a lazer hp. They do not have the mule drive like the full size lazers so they don't have the guards on them.

troblandscape
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info, I didnt know that.

LawnGuy73
04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
I have 3 Lazer Z's and I don't think they look like the one pictured there. You are probably right, the one in there ad may have been modified.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you could beavertail off the existing bed which would lower your ramp incline. Just an idea. See pic.
Good Luck

That is a hell of a nice looking truck. Is that yours?