PDA

View Full Version : A couple quick questions..

panoc05
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey... Just looking into this as a potential business option. Would appreciate any insight that anyone could give. Here's a few questions.

1. I'm looking to buy a used commercial mower and was wondering what
brands I should check into? (Price range from $1,500 - $2,000

2. How many yards (residential) could I take on without leaving me swamped?
I work fulltime also for a construction company.

Thanks - Phil

Jake's Lawn Service
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
As far as commercial mowers, I would look on ebay. A few good brands of mowers I would recommend are exmark, toro, scag, bobcat, and ferris. All are great brands, but around here by far, exmark is the most popular. Since you want to be part time, I think you could take on about 10 yards.
Jake

panoc05
04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice!

- Phil

MarksTLC
04-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Check you local dealers. I picked up a used Scag 48 WB for $200 below what guys were asking in the local papers. It has a few scrapes and dings, but has run strong for 4 years. It came from a large fleet, where they trade there stuff in after its depreciated.

TLS
04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Greetings and welcome.

Please keep in mind that although this is a side job, keep your rates competitive. Don't lowball jobs @ $25/hr because... "Hey, thats more than I make doing construction, that should be enough...right?"

In other words....don't leave money on the table.

Good luck!

panoc05
04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
That brings up another thing I was wondering about. What is the proper procedure (if there is one) for estimating the cost of a yard?

Equalizer
04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
If i were you, i would judge the cost of a yard by the amount of time you have to spend there working, also on how difficult the terrain is gunna be, and the amount of drive time.

bohiaa
04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Greetings and welcome.

Please keep in mind that although this is a side job, keep your rates competitive. Don't lowball jobs @ $25/hr because... "Hey, thats more than I make doing construction, that should be enough...right?"

Good luck!

GREAT ADVICE.... this is how I have been campairing myself to....
Thinking I'm doing well when I'm not
thanks for posting

bohiaa
04-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Greetings and welcome.

Good luck!

GREAT ADVICE.... this is how I have been campairing myself to....
Thinking I'm doing well when I'm not
thanks for posting

panoc05
04-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Thank you all for the tips.. I'm sure you'll hear from me again soon!

- phil