PDA

View Full Version : Standard practice on "terms"

JeffW0011
04-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I just got done bidding a huge job (by my standards, first year) It breaks down basically like this. It's a fairly major spring cleaning, a sizable mulching job...i estimated 25 yards and probably should have went a few more, some odds and ends minor repairs, and a one time catch up cut on a big ass property. At any rate, I probably over bid and won't get the job anyway, but if i do, what do you guys do on deals like this. The job is roughly $750 in parts/materials/contract services and some other variable costs. The labor end has me making about $1300. First off, as a ball park how does my costs versus profit ratio look?? Most important...should I ask for 50% upfront, should I get at least the job costs upfront or should I foot the bill and present it all upon completion.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

grandview (2006)
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
For myself I have them sign the contract and get paid at the end of the job.I never ask for money upfront.

JeffW0011
04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
The cost of the mulch she wanted was just under $20/yd delivered. In my proposal I charged her $50/per yard applied. Was this about right? high? low?
I know costs may vary a bit from region to region but what do you think?

grandview (2006)
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
My cost is 19.00per yd and I'll charge any where from 65-80 installed just depends where it has to go .If it's in the back yard a little more or if i have to monkey around under bushes stuff like that.

HOOLIE
04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I always get 50% upfront for any job requiring materials. Especially if you have to shell out $750. To NOT get any money in advance is foolish. Most of the time everything's fine but every once in awhile...well you don't want to have to eat it :cry:

D&M Lawn Service
04-11-2007, 10:18 PM
in my first year.... I am getting $80 a yard installed and have had a ton of mulch jobs. Like has already been said I charge a little more if its tough to install and will take longer to put down.