PDA

View Full Version : 18 kholer command not charging???

CAG
04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to look at next on a scag ssz with a 18 Kohler command.. i was only getting 11 back to the battery so i replaced the charing coil then the voltage reg and put in a new battery for the heck of it also.. this brought me up to i believe around 12.7.. i was hoping for the 14 but figured at least i was getting some charging back to the battery.. well the machine lasted about 5 hrs then went dead.. this things driving me a little crazy!!!!! does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next... thanks...

khouse
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
There are three wires on the rectifier/regulator. There should be 28+ volts AC on the two outer wires at full throttle. If not then your stator is bad.

MowerMedic77
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Make sure you have a good ground, I have fixed many an electrical issue by first making sure the ground is good. You can use a test light hooked up in reverse to check your grounds(the clamp on the positive and probe end on the negative)

Restrorob
04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
While your checking the two stator wires as khouse mentioned check the center wire, With the key on it should have at-least 10 volts to activate the regulator.
I have seen the battery voltage supply wire on the ignition switch burn/rust and make a bad contact. The unit would start but it would cause the other contacts inside the switch to burn thus causing a voltage drop to the rest of the system.

thecrankshaft
04-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Agreed on the grounds, clean up the ground between the rectifier-regulator and the engine block or add another wire. Check the stator output and battery voltage to the rec/reg as stated. It's such a simple system....

12.7 volts isn't charging at all as a fully charged battery is ~12.64 volts.

CAG
04-12-2007, 11:04 PM
i checked the ground and i can say for sure thats good however i put the meter on the tabs of the reg and got nothing.. im a little lost now on what to do, please correct me if im wrong but is the stator the same thing as the charging coil..

khouse
04-12-2007, 11:49 PM
yes.
Tell us what tabs you checked and how you checked them. Also tell us what your meter mode and range was in.

CAG
04-15-2007, 09:27 PM
i checked them every which way to see if i could get some kind of reading and got nothing.. i cant really remember where i had the meter.. but its the spot i put it in to make sure my battery's are charging.. i want to say 20 dc but im really cant remember i check tom..

Restrorob
04-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Your meter needs to be set on AC voltage and the engine ran near full throttle to test the stator only.

The regulator converts the AC current to DC current when the required 10+ DC volts is supplied to the center spade connector.