PDA

View Full Version : Cutting for Tru-Green Lawncare

kutnkru
07-30-2001, 09:18 PM
Does anyone sub or work for TGC as a mowing contractor.

If so, could you shed some light on how they compensate their subs or employee's.

Thanks for any assistance,
Kris

leaflawnandlimb
07-30-2001, 09:24 PM
Kris

If your talking about the one in endicott, don't do it man

MATTHEW
07-30-2001, 09:31 PM
The employees are paid a salary averaging around $20,000 and are awarded weekly incentive checks based on a variety of things.
Profit is the only concern of Tru-green. If you get paid $50.00 to mow an account, they are probably getting $75.00.They do pay their bills and will not hold out on you. But, I would strongly urge you to get your pest license and get the whole account for yourself! I personally would avoid dealing with Tru-green altogether.

kutnkru
07-30-2001, 09:36 PM
Actually, I am not referring to Mikes outfit but am interested in how they compensate for this service. I have been approached by another applicator who services several hundred accounts and is looking to sub out his mowing.

I have talked with one contractor who pays out $350 weekly for every 40 hrs worth of mowing contracts he subs out. I talked with two others who said they pay 30% of the cost of the mowing to the LCO they sub out to.

I was hopeing to find an average (Good Luck I know) of what TGC gets so I could compare and comprise a figure.

Matthew we are NYS Certified Applicators. ;)

Larry send me an e-mail if your local -

Kris

lawrence stone
07-30-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru
Does anyone sub or work for TGC as a mowing contractor.

If so, could you shed some light on how they compensate their subs or employee's.

How can mowing 6" of growth a week for weeks after a liquid application of 46-0-0 be called compensation?

kutnkru
07-30-2001, 09:49 PM
Touche Stone. :laugh:

Of course Stone you have just given me an idea. :eek: I could talk with TGC about cutting on a per inch basis just like how plowers charge for snow removal!

The contractor in question does not IMHO negatively represent our industry. However, the TGC per inch idea could be far more profitable in the long run - NOT.

Kris

Got Grass?
07-30-2001, 09:55 PM
$350 a week for 40hrs a week I'd go work for someone else.
Ungodly low thats only $8.50 an Hr. losing money if you factor in your expenses.

kutnkru
08-02-2001, 10:47 PM
No, I would never send a guy out to cut for $350 a week if he had to cover his own expenses.

However, if the least a lawn would be billed out for was $25 a cut and we did a 3 wat split would it should still be beneficial for an employee to make some great money.

If he only had to cut 15 lawns per day 5 days a week that would be $625 in his pocket, $625 in mine to cover expenses, and the Applicator would get $625 for just subbing out his clients for cutting.

If I hire four one man crews that would be $2500 a week to pay for insurances and operating expenses. I was thinking about having them furnish their own truck and trailer and they would have to pay for their own vehicle maintenance but I would cover the equipment maintenance up to a point. Obviously anything that would appear to be blatant misuse would be the responsiblity of the subbed employee.

How do these numbers sound???

Kris

geogunn
08-02-2001, 11:53 PM
kkrew--I wouldn't work under any of the numbers you've thrown out.

$350 will buy you about eight hours in an average drive, unload, mow, load up and drive day.

thirty percent of the going price for lawn care will get you zero of my time.

this is just a FYI response. sorry I couldn't be more helpful to your point.

good luck

GEO

SLS
08-03-2001, 02:34 AM
Yeah, I'm with Geo on this. No way would I do it.

15 lawns x 5 days =75 lawns a week.

$625 divided 75 equals a whopping $8.33 per lawn for the cutter..

With the cutter providing his own truck, trailer, mower, and fuel???? :eek:

Am I missing something here? :confused:

I'm only doing 30 residentials in a 3 to 4 day work week (1 acre lots and smaller) and blowing $625 a week in the dirt...taxes, insurance, and expenses included.

Again, am I missing something here?

Are we talking teeny, tiny, 15 minute lots/5 hour work days???

kutnkru
08-03-2001, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by SLS
With the cutter providing his own truck, trailer, mower, and fuel????

I was looking at this from the stand point of an over ambitious employee who has his own truck and trailer.

I would furnish him with the equipment and fuels etc. necessary to run the equipment. I would be covering his insurances (he's an employee).

He would have to cover whatever he would need for operating costs for his own vehicle only.

The lots in question are 6-8m/sf, should take each operator about 20-30 minutes, and appear to be clumped in 3-5 per stop.

According to the Applicator, the guys would literally have to drive from the shop to the first client - and from there might have a total drive time of 45 minutes for the day including running for lunch.

I personally will not be performing the work, but rather subbing it out (so to speak) to employees who are go getters.

Sort of a personal goal for them to strive for within the company.

Hope this clarifies a little better.
Kris

geogunn
08-03-2001, 07:07 AM
kkrew--hey man, why don't you give it a try! nothing ventured, nothing gained.

however, my money says that the ambitious person that takes the opportunity you offer is going to figure out real quick that all he/she needs ia a mower, blower and a trimmer (for the nost part) and they are no longer an employee , they are the boss...and taking home all of the money.

it happens everyday that some LCO is getting screwed by an employee that is cutting grass on the side or setting themselves up to go solo by stealing accounts in advance.

just my thoughts here. good luck.

GEO

awm
08-03-2001, 07:53 AM
what geogun said is the big failing of this idea. but it still has merit,as i see it. good luck to you. TM

SLS
08-03-2001, 11:04 AM
kutnkru:

Thanks for the clarification! :)

That you are handling the equipment and fuel/mantainance for it plus insurance it makes it easier to understand.

I suppose that what Geo and AWM are saying about the employees 'flying the coop' would be a biggest concern as
this seems to be the way a lot of us get started on our own.

But a lot of people are not businessmen/self-motivated types so
maybe this would not be too much of a problem.

You never know about some things until you try them and this may just work out fine. You are doing your research and analysis so if it becomes comfortable in your mind for you to 'go for it' then give it a shot. :)

"He who does not try has already failed".

Good luck and best wishes...and if you do this I hope it is a GREAT success! :D

PEACE!

powerreel
08-04-2001, 10:37 AM
Is it TruGreen Lawncare or TruGreen Landcare?

kutnkru
08-04-2001, 10:55 AM
Actually PR its neither. :)

I was just wondering if there was anyone here that had experience cutting for TG-LC so that if I made an offer to an Applicator locally to maintain his lawns (whos not TG-LC) with the help of a friend of mine also, that we would have some idea as to what they(TG-LC) might be paying for subbing out cutting.

Kris

Albemarle Lawn
08-04-2001, 11:34 AM
That's my general answer for any question involving that cesspool

powerreel
08-04-2001, 12:13 PM
Virginia is no better!!!! ;)

lawrence stone
08-04-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
That's my general answer for any question involving that cesspool

That's quite an amazing ignorant response.

Do you know where the southern tier of NYS is located bubba?

Have you ever been North of the Mason Dixon line?