PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Truck!!!!!

mike lane lawn care
04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I just got back from buying a 1999 GMC sierra 1500. The truck is amazing, i had my mechanic take it for a test drive, and inspect the whole thing, and he gave it a clean bill of heatlth, as did Carfax. due to snow that is supposed to be comming, it will take a few days to prep the truck for me, as it needs two small items. 1. the drivers side mirror has a crack in it, so they're replacing the entire mirror assembly, and 2. the latch on the sliding rear window is damaged, so they're gonna replace that as well. other than that it is absolutely beatutiful condition. The dealer was really nice, and was very quick to jot down some notes on what i needed to have done to the truck.

I can't wait to pick it up!!!

mrusk
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Congrads! Good luck with it!

KS_Grasscutter
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I just got back from buying a 1999 GMC sierra 1500. The truck is amazing, i had my mechanic take it for a test drive, and inspect the whole thing, and he gave it a clean bill of heatlth, as did Carfax. due to snow that is supposed to be comming, it will take a few days to prep the truck for me, as it needs two small items. 1. the drivers side mirror has a crack in it, so they're replacing the entire mirror assembly, and 2. the latch on the sliding rear window is damaged, so they're gonna replace that as well. other than that it is absolutely beatutiful condition. The dealer was really nice, and was very quick to jot down some notes on what i needed to have done to the truck.

I can't wait to pick it up!!!

Looks VERY nice! I take it that it is a single cab short bed? Cant really tell from the angle of the pic. Z71 too i take it?

Now we can FINALLY stop hearing about Astro vans on here...FINALLY:)

Jason Rose
04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
OMG, that's a TRUCK!!!! Congrats on your new purchace!

mike lane lawn care
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Looks VERY nice! I take it that it is a single cab short bed? Cant really tell from the angle of the pic. Z71 too i take it?

Yup regular cab, Short bed, Z71, 4X4, fully loaded power everthing, and heated mirrors.
I am gonna miss the van though, i'm giving up a good friend, and a lot of cargo room......plus it was always fun when taking the girlfriends out.:rolleyes:

THEGOLDPRO
04-11-2007, 11:11 PM
looks nice what engine?

Raven386
Yup regular cab, Short bed, Z71, 4X4, fully loaded power everthing, and heated mirrors.
I am gonna miss the van though, i'm giving up a good friend, and a lot of cargo room......plus it was always fun when taking the girlfriends out.:rolleyes:

thats what quad cabs are for! why do you think they were ever designed?! Congrats & Good luck with it!!!

mike lane lawn care
looks nice what engine?

thanks, it's a 5.3 liter V8

THEGOLDPRO
04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
cant say im a big fan of the cool blue fog lights tho i'd rip em off.

Petr51488
04-11-2007, 11:43 PM

AMEN TO THAT!!!

How many miles are on it? Please don't tell me 160k. Congrats on the new truck. But, you shoulda gotten a long bed. lol

mike lane lawn care
04-11-2007, 11:46 PM
AMEN TO THAT!!!

How many miles are on it? Please don't tell me 160k. Congrats on the new truck. But, you shoulda gotten a long bed. lol

the astro has 170,540 miles, the new truck has 91,000 miles on it, so a fairly good upgrade.

As for the fog lights, i kind of like them, sometime down the road, i'll replace them with a more effiecent light, but that's on the list, whcih is as follows:
1. class IV tow hitch
2. install my Sony CD player from the van
3. Rhino line the bed
4. 2" suspension lift
5. fog light replacement

Petr51488
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
And if u dont mind... how much? 90 isn't too bad. I have 104 on mine and its a 98

mike lane lawn care
04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
And if u dont mind... how much? 90 isn't too bad. I have 104 on mine and its a 98
total cost was $8200(not including trade in), so i think i got a pretty good deal

lawnboy dan
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
why did you buy a short bed?

DBL
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
shortbed or not its a 4x4 truck

Guzman Properties
04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Congratulations on the truck, looks great!!!

THEGOLDPRO
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
why did you buy a short bed?
my guess there wasn't a long bed on the lot he went to, he prolly drove by it,saw it went in talked to the guy and walked out with it.

lawnboy dan
04-12-2007, 02:44 PM
unless you intend to plow-4x4 is not needed in this biz. it a waist of money and extra expence on gas and wear . 4x4 short bed = poor choice for a work truck!

mike lane lawn care
04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
my guess there wasn't a long bed on the lot he went to, he prolly drove by it,saw it went in talked to the guy and walked out with it.

actualy no, i did a lot of research on this vehcile before hand, then arranged for my mechanic to inspect it. we then went over with the sales guy on what it needed to have done, and what the vehicle's history was. I don't like the long beds, they just don't look as good, and for my needs, I really wouldn't use the long bed that often anyway. but it still has a lot of space in it. and they did have a long bed version on the lot, a 1999 chevy silverado(same thing) with a long bed and 105,000 miles for the same price, but again, i didn't like it as much.

mike lane lawn care
04-12-2007, 02:49 PM
unless you intend to plow-4x4 is not needed in this biz. it a waist of money and extra expence on gas and wear . 4x4 short bed = poor choice for a work truck!

after having RWD for one MILD winter, i hated it, i got stuck at the drop of a hat, and had less than ideal contorl on snow covered roads. it's not just a work truck, but my daily driver, and up here in the northeast, 4X4 is a requirement(not kidding, some roads are closed to those without 4WD in the winter) i might get a small 7.6 poly plow for it in the winter, but prolly not.

LindblomRJ
04-12-2007, 02:58 PM

I agree. Ballast and good tires are effective. IMO 4x4 gets people stuck faster than 2wd.

Petr51488
04-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I agree with the 4wd.. it is a must. I have 2wd in my truck and i wish i had 4. 4wd is more to maintain, but since its your daily driver, then its a good choice. It also helps alot in the snow. How is it from going from 3 rows of seats to 1? I bet it sucks. lol

FearThisDeere
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Looks good. Congrats!

RedWingsDet
04-12-2007, 10:57 PM
plus it was always fun when taking the girlfriends out.:rolleyes:

I dont know ANY girls that like vans, and thats ALOT. IMO they like trucks, especially down south, but even up here they like em. But that being said, I drive an SUV, I should just drive my work trucks around LOL

Anyway Nice truck. Keep her maintained and she'll run forever. Get the fluids changed: Differential, Trans with new filter, Transfercase, Coolant, oil, New fuel filter, grease the entire front end. do all that asap and once a year but 4 times a year do the front end, and every 3 months/3k miles the oil and it'll run forever.

How many miles and how much was it?

Jason Rose
04-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I dont know ANY girls that like vans, and thats ALOT. IMO they like trucks, especially down south, but even up here they like em. But that being said, I drive an SUV, I should just drive my work trucks around LOL

Anyway Nice truck. Keep her maintained and she'll run forever. Get the fluids changed: Differential, Trans with new filter, Transfercase, Coolant, oil, New fuel filter, grease the entire front end. do all that asap and once a year but 4 times a year do the front end, and every 3 months/3k miles the oil and it'll run forever.

Ditto all of that, lol. Good answers by the way.

Have the coolant checked ASAP, if it's the Dexcool pink stuff and it needs changing get it OUT of there, flushed throughly, and go back with the regular stuff. Dexcool is fine, but it does NOT last the 100,000 miles itwas advertized to last, in actuality, after a few years, or 50 to 60K miles, it increaces in acidity and actually EATS it's way out of the engine and raditator.

I own a 2000 GMC sierra, so Iv'e dealt with the situation...

mike lane lawn care
04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
ok, i went and picked it up tonight. and man was it sweet, it has flowmaster with dual exhaust tips, so it sounded mean. It had plenty of power, and could get upto highway speed very quick. i did notice that it has a stiff ride, but that's prolly due to the Z71 package. Me and two of my friends went out driving for an hour or so, and i loved it, the truck ran like a top, didn't come accross any problems with it, so i'd say i'm good to go.

i need to install a hitch onto it, cause it only has a bumper htch, and i want a real one.

Fieldman12
04-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Good looking truck you bought. You could not give me a 2wd truck. They are the most useless thing I have ever saw. If you live in town and have no winters I guess they would do. I had one once and could not wait to see it go. Last four have been 4wd and never look back. "You know a cargo light gives off a Romantic glow" Joe Diffie - Pickup Man