PDA

View Full Version : An actual phone call from a client today....

ThreeWide
04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Office phone rings this afternoon.

Customer: "This is <name> at <address>. Your company treated 3 lawns in the neighborhood yesterday."

Me: "Yes that is correct"

Customer: "Your company drove a truck through my lawn"

Me: "Uhhhhh....... what?????. I was the person doing the apps yesterday and I can assure you a truck was not driven on your property. There are curbs on your street. I think I would have known this."

Customer: "Well there are tire tracks all through our lawn"

Me: "Ahhhhhhhh.......you are seeing the tire tracks from the Permagreen spreader"

Customer: "What?"

Me: "The application equipment we used left tire tracks in your lawn. That happens all the time"

You can wipe the spit off the screen now.

This is no joke. Most bizarre call I've ever had.

indyturf
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I had a customer call me last year to say it looked like someone had been 4-wheeling in his yard! it was the PG..

Duekster
04-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Another reason I like my spray rig.

Thanks.

Shades of Green LService
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Office phone rings this afternoon.

Customer: "This is <name> at <address>. Your company treated 3 lawns in the neighborhood yesterday."

Me: "Yes that is correct"

Customer: "Your company drove a truck through my lawn"

Me: "Uhhhhh....... what?????. I was the person doing the apps yesterday and I can assure you a truck was not driven on your property. There are curbs on your street. I think I would have known this."

Customer: "Well there are tire tracks all through our lawn"

Me: "Ahhhhhhhh.......you are seeing the tire tracks from the Permagreen spreader"

Customer: "What?"

Me: "The application equipment we used left tire tracks in your lawn. That happens all the time"

You can wipe the spit off the screen now.

This is no joke. Most bizarre call I've ever had.

Should start a thread just on the stupid things customers say. Funny stuff.
-Jay

BeautifulBlooms
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I am the customer you are referring to, and I dont like being ridiculed@!!!!!!

MrBarefoot
04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Should start a thread just on the stupid things customers say. Funny stuff.
-Jay

Wow, if you really want to open that can of worms...

Customer (with genuine concern in his voice): Hello, we had a big party over the weekend, and now the lawn looks dead.

Me: Um, what do you mean when you say "the lawn looks dead" is it brown and crispy?

Customer: No, it looks squashed and flattened, like it's been trampled. The grass around the fire pit looks brown and crispy though. Is that grass dead?

Me: I assume there was a big fire in the fire pit the night of your party?

Customer: Yes.

Me: Ok, now you say the grass looks trampled, does it still look green?

Customer: Yes, but it looks real bad.

Me: Did you have a lot of people over?

Customer: Yes, and a lot coming a going too. Some of them spilled beer on the lawn.

Me: I'll come out and take a look, but I don't think you have a long term problem here. Grass it pretty tough and I think it will survive.

Customer: Well there is an area where we spilled a lot of beer.

Me: The worst case scenario here is we need to put some grass seed down. Let me come out an take a look, then I can tell you for sure what we are dealing with.

Customer: So, your'e sure the lawn isn't dead?

Me: I am virtually certain of it, I'll check it out and call you back with a plan to get your lawn back on track.

I found most of the lawn to be flattened by foot traffic. The grass around the fire pit was stressed out. I moved up his regularly scheduled fertilizer treatment and applied it a soon after this and the lawn recovered. I also sold them an aeration to combat "likely soil compaction" that occurred during the party.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-12-2007, 10:03 AM
i have a big brown spot in my lawn
i show up the pool is now open
i ask did u leave the pool tarp on the lawn yes we did
how long sat after noon all of sunday ok then heres your sign

Shades of Green LService
04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I am the customer you are referring to, and I dont like being ridiculed@!!!!!!

:cry: ...............

Customer: Can you spray the weeds in the lawn? The last company didn't spray weeds.
Me:Sure
Customer: 1 week later, Why are there dead spots where the weeds were
Me: ummmm.....there dying.;)

sprayboy
04-12-2007, 10:46 AM
small shallow kiddie pool left upside down, perfect little circle

sprayboy
04-12-2007, 10:51 AM
also had a customer get a new roof, they couldn't understand the little brown squares left in the yard from shingles laying there

txgrassguy
04-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Best one I ever had was an old lady who approached me while I was spraying a neighboring lawn.
She wanted to know what I was applying, no big deal but then proceeds to grill me on what the side effects of the pesticides are.
Apparently she has an elderly dog who wanders over to the neighbor's yard and digs holes all over the place.
So I tell her not to allow the dog on the neighbor's yard anymore. Actually I was glad she told me as I had to repair almost 400 square feet of damaged turf which the client had to pay for.
Well the old lady goes ballistic saying her dog has wandered all over the neighbor's yard before with no problems.
Soo, too make a long story short I notified the client of the source of the repeated damage - explains why I never trapped a skunk or armadillo - who sends the bills to the old lady.
I just got off the phone with the old lady cussing me out for ratting her out to the client.
The client apparently informed other weekender's of the suspected causes of their turf damage as well and sent the lady their bills as well.
Just have to love networking.

upidstay
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I applied pelletized lime (really low pH, around 90-100lbs per k) to a lawn while the lady of the house slept in a lounge chair by the pool. After I was done, she comes running up to the truck (across the lawn, barefoot), all in a huff over what I just applied. Apparently she took a quick dip in the pool, then walked across the grass, getting some lime on her wet feet. She saw the whitish powder and freaked. Said she was obviously having a reaction to the "poison", and was feeling dizzy and her heart was racing. She actually looked kind of sad when I told her it was just limestone and she was going to be ok. Gave her an MSDS and tried not to laugh.

indyturf
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I have one lawn where the 2 (ugly) teenage daughters always come out and protest about me applying chemicals to their lawn and destroying the planet! one time they came out screaming that I was making too much noise (I was using a push spreader) then lay down in the front lawn and started chanting something about saving the earth! I told them they could explain the spots in the front lawn that didn't get fertilized to their Dad! I havn't seen them since.

Shades of Green LService
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
I have one lawn where the 2 (ugly) teenage daughters always come out and protest about me applying chemicals to their lawn and destroying the planet! one time they came out screaming that I was making too much noise (I was using a push spreader) then lay down in the front lawn and started chanting something about saving the earth! I told them they could explain the spots in the front lawn that didn't get fertilized to their Dad! I havn't seen them since.

Did you get to finish that app? or was the threat of dad enough?
-Jay

ChadsLawn
04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Best one I ever had was an old lady who approached me while I was spraying a neighboring lawn.
She wanted to know what I was applying, no big deal but then proceeds to grill me on what the side effects of the pesticides are.
Apparently she has an elderly dog who wanders over to the neighbor's yard and digs holes all over the place.
So I tell her not to allow the dog on the neighbor's yard anymore. Actually I was glad she told me as I had to repair almost 400 square feet of damaged turf which the client had to pay for.
Well the old lady goes ballistic saying her dog has wandered all over the neighbor's yard before with no problems.
Soo, too make a long story short I notified the client of the source of the repeated damage - explains why I never trapped a skunk or armadillo - who sends the bills to the old lady.
I just got off the phone with the old lady cussing me out for ratting her out to the client.
The client apparently informed other weekender's of the suspected causes of their turf damage as well and sent the lady their bills as well.
Just have to love networking.

A+++ on that 1.. Old lady busted on herself..

indyturf
04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Did you get to finish that app? or was the threat of dad enough?
-Jay

I just did about half of the front yard. I called and told the Father I didn't have time to deal with his daughters and if they come out while I'm doing the application I will stop and bill him for the whole lawn. that was probably 10 yrs ago and he is still a customer. I guess the daughters are off probably saving the rain forest or something because I haven't seen them since!

seaweed
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
i had a lady call - said my chemicals killed her flower garden and shrubs from when i treated her neighbors house - wanted me to pay to replace them

so I went by to check out the situation....

when i was at her neighbors house giving them an estimate- she had seen my truck. she had assumed that i was spraying poison all over their yard and that it had drifted on to her yard.

M.C.L.C.
04-17-2007, 07:06 PM
ok, well while i find all of your stories very amusing i can't resist telling mine. I was on my ride on spreader fertilizing one of our H.O.A's which are notorious for older people living and watching you while working...while one man reported on here that he was blamed for riding a four wheeler thru a lawn, so was i. However this lady took it to the next level and instead of talking to me or my company about it, she proceeded to CALL THE POLICE!!!!! Two cops showed up, and as soon as they saw what i was doing they hit the sirens, and "pulled me over"....i think they were laughing harder than i was!!!!

americanlawn
04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Yep -- it's that time of year. They are coming out of the woodwork!

At least it makes our jobs interesting! Funny stuff!