PDA

View Full Version : front mnt. vs. mid mnt.

Hunter Landscape
07-30-2001, 10:15 PM
i am currently running a 52" grasshopper frnt mnt and have the bagging attachment that i use mostly during the winter months. the 52" will let me get into some tight places and i do like that, but i feel really "slow" when operating this machine. i drove a buddy's mid mnt and felt like i was flying! i do like my frnt mnt when mowing up under obstacles and such but i am wondering how you all feel a front mnt stacks up to a mid mnt. in productivity. also how much more string trimming is necessary when using a mid mount.
oh yeah the hillsides with the g-hopper is like a sliding board!
:cool:

mowerman90
07-30-2001, 10:31 PM
You should try a 725 Grasshopper with the G2 transmission. It's as fast as a Lazer and with the V-Bar tires I can go up and down some really steep hills with it.

cantoo
07-30-2001, 10:55 PM
Find a used midmount and have the best of both worlds. If someone was to do a poll I bet that you would be surprised at the number of solo guys who have a mid mount and a front mount with collector such as the Grass Hopper and Walker to use on a wide variety of properties.

EJK2352
07-31-2001, 12:24 AM
cantoo,
How about a mid- mount w/ a collection system??? I have an Exmark Lazer HP 52" with an Ultravac. I feel this machine gives you the best of both worlds. It's an excellent bagging machine & I would put it up against any dedicated bagger. Then after less than 5 minutes of work removing the Ultravac bagger it becomes a high productivity side discharge mower!!! I am a Solo operator and don't see the need for 2 different machines to bag or discharge when I can do it all w/ my Lazer w/ the Ultravac. ;) :) ;) ED

slabpile
07-31-2001, 06:17 AM
Your not confusing a mid mount with a belly mont are you. i have no more trimming with a z master thatn with a walker. but the zmaster is much faster.

MOW ED
07-31-2001, 07:38 AM
This is a debate that can go on forever.

It all depends on what you mow and what your customers demand. I personally have a Walker that suits MY customer base just fine. Can I use a mid mount on my properties? Yes and I would be faster on some of them. But not all.

I wish I had the money to have one of each and trailer space for all of them. Every mower has a purpose, the trick is to find which one will make YOU more productive on the types of properties you maintain.

LJ lawn
07-31-2001, 04:15 PM
after using mid mount machines for a couple of years ,i switched to the front mount.i stil have my toro z ,but i find my grasshopper more comfortable ,scalps the lawns less when turning,better on fuel(diesel) and i can now mow under shrubs and trees without jamming me and the machine under or having to go back and line trim.i also like the versitility of the grasshopper with the extra attachments.