PDA

View Full Version : Spill response kits????

BeautifulBlooms
04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Anyone have a recommendation of a spill response kit to provide effective control if a spill ocurrs? What abot a homemade kit (rubbermaid container, 1 bag of kitty litter, two or three absorbent snakes to contain a spill, a dust pan and a brush? Is that ok to do rather than spending the $60-100 they want to sell me that stuff for.

Grassmechanic
04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
That's fine, but you'll also need a garbage bag, gloves, Tyvek suit and anything else that your state may require.

sprayboy
04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
A shovel is not a bad idea, you can dam it up if needed.

Dirt Digger2
04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
A shovel is not a bad idea, you can dam it up if needed.

i was thinking the same thing...only for burying the spill

RigglePLC
04-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Should include a handful of plastic bags to shovel the conmtaminated residue into for disposal. I use a 2.5 gal jug almost filled with Oil Dry, and then I squeeze a roll of plastic bags in the top and screw the lid on. Marker it "Spill Kit". You could probably squeeze in a pair of rubber gloves--and maybe a dust mask, into the jug. Throw it in the back and don't worry if it gets wet. I carry a small dustpan and brush, also. A few of those heavy duty plastic fertilizer bags would be helpful, too.

I also have a product called "Soak Up" (I think), got it at Lesco. I cannot find it on their site, at the moment. It absorbs 55 times its weight in water. It is supposed to be easy to dispose of -you just add it to your tank a little at a time--but last year I still had a few problems with plugging filters. If you have to use it--I suggest letting it dry on a big plastic sheet in your garage. Use it up with a spreader--as a labeled use.

Try to absorb the spill in a way that allows you to use up the product in the tank or as a dry product. I have heard it is super expensive to have it hauled away to a hazardous material disposal company.

In 1988, I helped a friend dispose of some residue. His trailer hitch broke and his tank and reel did a couple of flips and landed in a front yard. Diazinon. He convinced the cop that the tank was almost empty--he had some spill pillows. Didn't have much to dispose of. His sprayer was kaput. I cut pillows and added residue to my tank a little at a time.

ant
04-12-2007, 04:31 PM
sounds like you got it

RigglePLC
04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
here is the Rittenhouse version:
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=749

You could always purchase an old gym bag at a thrift shop. Add what you need and squeeze it behind the seat in your truck. Tag it "Emergency Pesticide Spill Kit".

RigglePLC
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Should include a handful of plastic bags to shovel the conmtaminated residue into for disposal. I use a 2.5 gal jug almost filled with Oil Dry, and then I squeeze a roll of plastic bags in the top and screw the lid on. Marker it "Spill Kit". You could probably squeeze in a pair of rubber gloves--and maybe a dust mask, into the jug. Throw it in the back and don't worry if it gets wet. I carry a small dustpan and brush, also. A few of those heavy duty plastic fertilizer bags would be helpful, too.

I also have a product called "Soak Up" (I think), got it at Lesco. I cannot find it on their site, at the moment. It absorbs 55 times its weight in water. It is supposed to be easy to dispose of -you just add it to your tank a little at a time--but last year I still had a few problems with plugging filters. If you have to use it--I suggest letting it dry on a big plastic sheet in your garage. Use it up with a spreader--as a labeled use.

Try to absorb the spill in a way that allows you to use up the product in the tank or as a dry product. I have heard it is super expensive to have it hauled away to a hazardous material disposal company.

In 1988, I helped a friend dispose of some residue. His trailer hitch broke and his tank and reel did a couple of flips and landed in a front yard. Diazinon. He convinced the cop that the tank was almost empty--he had some spill pillows. Didn't have much to dispose of. His sprayer was kaput. I cut pillows and added residue to my tank a little at a time.

teeca
04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
a shovel and kitty litter are a couple of the most important items you should have, dam up the spill, those kits you buy have 4 socks, a few towels, and some kitty litter. good for about 20gal if you read the kit, that doesn't do anything for 200gal, or in my case 400gal. you should already have gloves, boots, safty glasses, and a few garbage bags. oh, and make sure you have LABLES and MSDS, the fire dept will fine the hell out of you if you don't!