PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a timer

spray_man
04-12-2007, 01:00 PM
My house has a mechanical timer - Wheel and pegs - you know. I would like to change to a digital timer. What brand or type should I look for? I have no pump but have that idiot valve (do not know what it is called) that switches from line to line (four lines) when turned on or off. The water goes on and off with a 24vac valve.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots
04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Pardon me if I say that you should stick with what you have. The 'idiot valve' is not anything that controller manufacturers have any interest in dealing with.

jerryrwm
04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
With that indexing valve your possibilities are pretty limited. The indexing valve needs to have a brief rest period between zones to allow it to 'reset' itself to move to the next zone.

You could do it with an 8 station controller by programming a 1 minute delay between stations and using jump wires to connect the four zones on the controller.

Or you could pull the indexing valve out and install four individual valves.

Jason Rose
04-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Here's what you need. http://www.fimcomfg.com/controller.html

Remote Pigtails
04-12-2007, 07:38 PM
With that indexing valve your possibilities are pretty limited. The indexing valve needs to have a brief rest period between zones to allow it to 'reset' itself to move to the next zone.

You could do it with an 8 station controller by programming a 1 minute delay between stations and using jump wires to connect the four zones on the controller.

Or you could pull the indexing valve out and install four individual valves.

Another solution is to install the RB 4 sta modular and in the advanced settings a delay between zones can be programmed in.

Remote Pigtails
04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
The last indexing valve thread ended with 138 replies and morphed into a cat and dog fight.

irrig8r
04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Interesting how things are done differently depending on where you live...

I've been in the irrigation business for over 20 years here in the Silicon Valley, taken irrigation design classes thru the O.H. programs at 2 community colleges...

I've messed with the odd hydraulic system, seen a couple of 110 VAC valves, and all kinds of variations on backflow preventers over the years... and this is the first time I've ever heard of an "indexing valve"...

And of course, the only place I've seen a vibratory plow is in trade magazine articles and in pictures you guys from other places post here...

Wet_Boots
04-13-2007, 02:45 AM
An original electromechanical controller for an indexing valve system is very likely to be more reliable than any solid state replacement. Lacking any compelling reason to replace it (and none was posted) one should stick with reliability.

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 08:40 AM
"If it aint broke, don't fix it." :)

However, since you want an electronic controller and want to keep the indexing valve then Jason posted the answer. If you want to get rid of the indexing valve and install separate automatic valves then there are hundreds of options.

SprinklerGuy
04-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I want to install some Fimco.....but....I bet they are hard to winterize properly...hmmmmm

spray_man
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I tried the cheap Orbit digital timer yesterday (four valve) - $35 at Home Depot -. What a cheap piece of Chinese made crap that is. When I went to close the door the tab broke off. I guess you get what you pay for. Lasted all of 1 hour. What happened to the long term testing these companies use to do. You know, set up a jig that pushes all the buttons, opens and closes the doors, and latches over and over again, until it fails. I guess it's cheaper to have us test it for them.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM
What happened to the long term testing these companies use to do. You know, set up a jig that pushes all the buttons, opens and closes the doors, and latches over and over again, until it fails. I guess it's cheaper to have us test it for them.

The robotic arms are all on strike and are out drinking Lawn Genie Dark Ale at the local garage? :laugh:

Dirty Water
04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
This is the tool I use to test Orbit Products:

http://www.gp.lib.mi.us/information/about/Tools/sledgehammer.jpg

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:33 AM
"Aaahh, you don't believe, we're on the eve of destruction?" :)

Dirty Water
04-14-2007, 12:36 AM
"Aaahh, you don't believe, we're on the eve of destruction?" :)

I was thinking more along the lines of that scene in office space where they destroy the fax machine to rap music...

That was quite possibly the funniest movie I've ever seen, and now having spent almost three months as a white collar employee, a lot more realistic than I thought.

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Get a copy of Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex... (But Were Afraid to Ask)"