PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that this is a good buy?

Meadowbrook
04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
The guy wants $1800 for it. I don't think it's a bad deal. But what are the negatives on the Ultra's with higher hours?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=280102169948

RigglePLC
04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Price reasonable--even if needed--new motor is not particularly expensive.

indyturf
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Looks like its been well maintained. What parts have been replaced? lot of hours if its the original motor, but its still not a bad price.

Meadowbrook
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
If you take a look at the last picture in the 'gallery' it has the spares included. Throttle cable, fuses, pulley, etc.

indyturf
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I would offer him $1500, that will help cover the new motor when you need one. ask if he has ever changed the transaxle. Has he made all the modifacations to the electrial system to help the spray system? probably has since he used it so much.

Runner
04-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Not a bad price at all, actually. Is that pretty near you?

americanlawn
04-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I think it's a great deal. Especially cuz it still sprays & spreads.

We have two 2004 Ultras. We have replaced every part listed on this ad, plus more.

Quite frankly, I normally expect commercial lawn equipment to hold up for more than three years. We soon realized that this was not the case with our Perma Green Ultras.

I'm not saying the units are a bad investment, cuz they are very versitle, and they make you alot of money.

Some guys I know actually prefer the Ultras over the Magnums.

But be prepared to have good mechanical knowledge and know of a local repair shop that is able to repair and MODIFY these units.

To this day, I can never figure out the thin wiring system?? The wiring is a mess of very thin wires that easily corrode. 40 bucks extra would cover the cost of running heavier wiring. Oh well.

Our main probs with our units:
corroding wires
bad batteries
poor small-leafed weed control
little if any weed control along the curbs
deflector shield does not allow granules to fall along the curbs
the brakes are nothing to brag about either

My personal advice: buy a 2nd one as a backup. You'll soon find out why.

Sounds like I hate these PG's. Not really. I was disappointed, but now I now what to expect. Our LESCO dealer uses a Toro dealership for repairing them.

We now have one in their shop cuz the impeller is froze up, and the battery is bad. Toro says they will order parts, and use a motorcycle battery to improve the spray. Still waiting.

americanlawn
04-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Update: I test drove a 2007 Perma Green Magnum today at my LESCO dealership.

Spreads fine.

Spray droplets were 3/4 inch apart. That means herbicide does not hit weeds that are not at least one inch in diameter.

Good luck on clover, spurge, purslane, knotweed, speedwell, chickweed, creeping Charlie, violets, etc.

Even my LESCO guy said the same thing today. He reommended a "Z-Spray" or a LESCO Z-sprayer/spreader.

We have a LESCO Z-Spray, and it kills all weeds.

I agree. Problem with PG units is: herbicide labels call for thorough coverage.

Meadowbrook
04-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Can you adjust the pressure or change nozzles to make droplet size smaller? More of a heavy mist rather than droplets? Just a thought. Anything beats walking around or dragging a hose IMO

Chris

indyturf
04-18-2007, 07:32 PM
How does every thread with "PG" in it get turned into a bash against them lately? I have a PG Magnum and have no problem controlling weeds. even the small leafed ones! you don't have to hit every leaf on a clover, spurge or chickweed to control it. I have almost 400 hrs on my PG and would buy another one.

indyturf
04-18-2007, 09:16 PM
The guy wants $1800 for it. I don't think it's a bad deal. But what are the negatives on the Ultra's with higher hours?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=280102169948

I saw it didn't reach the reserve again! you should have some bargaining power. I would say between $1200-$1500 would be a good price because with the hrs on the machine it will need some TLC. but really with the SS frame these units should last for years they will just need to be updated every so often.

NattyLawn
04-18-2007, 09:41 PM
How does every thread with "PG" in it get turned into a bash against them lately? I have a PG Magnum and have no problem controlling weeds. even the small leafed ones! you don't have to hit every leaf on a clover, spurge or chickweed to control it. I have almost 400 hrs on my PG and would buy another one.

Agreed. Just went over the 400 hour mark on the '05 Magnum as well. I have no problems with weed control, and carry a backpack to hit some of those curb strips and edges. Same old posts from am-lawn. Just be careful. He doesn't like "senior members" pointing out he posts the same thing over and over again.

TLS
04-19-2007, 11:31 AM
you don't have to hit every leaf on a clover, spurge or chickweed to control it.

I agree.

1/2" space, 3/4" space or 1" space....who cares. One drop is all it takes.