PDA

View Full Version : Final Question on Harley/Landpride box rake

Airwave
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Ok I have trawled through many sites and forums to see if this answer already existed but no. The question I have is the following.

I am going to invest in a box rake Harley/Landpride both seem identical. What I need to know is will it do the following;

1. Soil here in Ireland has a lot of stones in it (more then what I have seen on the Harley video) will it take them out and windrow them in a line so I can scoop them up or pick them up with shovels. Or is there an alternative way with the rake to gather them together.

2. Is there much handraking to be done after.

3. Will the rake level the site when it has already been rough graded before we arrive on site.

4. What else can the rake be used for other then in the creation of lawns.

The reason I want to get honest answers is that this is a huge investment for me and I cannot afford to get it wrong. I am looking to make this investment as currently it takes us to long to do an acre lawn and it is very taxing on my employees. As we do not have great weather here in Ireland time is of the essence as is the welfare of my employees. Thanks in advance for you honest replies.

I am aware how good the rake is and even maybe the best purchase some of you have made I just need to know will it actually do these things.

Lawnworks
04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't think you can go wrong. I have a 72" harley rake(not glenmac) for a bobcat and 48" harley rake(glenmac) for my dingo. There is nothing that can compare to a harley rake. I don't think there is much of a difference in manufaturers... my 72" harley is made by FFC and it does great. I never really windrow anything unless I need to pull dirt along a driveway curb. I always just pull on the rocks to the edge of the yard or pull them to the back of the yard to the woods.

We graded out about 3/4 acre yard in about 6 hours... when I was finished there was virtually no hand raking except up close the house and a little bit on the drive.

Usually I go over the yard once just tilling it up w/ only the teeth in the ground... then I will make a few passes w/ some weight on the wheels getting it graded... then I will make a final pass on the yard w/ a good bit of weight on the front wheels of the harley cleaning the rocks and grading it to perfection.

If the yard is rough graded correctly, the harley will do an immaculate job of smoothing.

Bigred350
04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
If you have alot of rocks you may want to get a rock hound. It will actually pick the rocks up and put them in a hopper. When its full just take it to a dump truck or where ever your putting them and dump them out.

We have a 6' Harley Rake and love it. Yes it will smooth out a rough graded yard in no time. You will not have to hand rake at all.

Lawnworks
04-12-2007, 09:17 PM
If you have alot of rocks you may want to get a rock hound. It will actually pick the rocks up and put them in a hopper. When its full just take it to a dump truck or where ever your putting them and dump them out.

We have a 6' Harley Rake and love it. Yes it will smooth out a rough graded yard in no time. You will not have to hand rake at all.

But will the rockhound grade out like a harley?

Bigred350
04-12-2007, 11:05 PM
No it more or less just picks up rocks.

Airwave
04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I can see what the rockhound does but I do not think it would be that suitable here in Ireland plus the fact they only supply in the US and not in Ireland does not help. Probably for the best as i would never make a decision then on what to do. So sounds like it is not that good at getting rid of stones on the soil if preference goes out to rockhound. Shame as that plus fluffing up of soil is what I want it for. As our walk behind rake is great but to bloody slow.

Lawnworks
04-13-2007, 04:40 PM
I think the harley is great for removing rocks... the only advantage to a rockhound is that you don't have to go back and scoop up the rocks. But it sounds the rockhound won't grade out like a harley. The harley will pull all of the stones to the end of the pass then you gotta scoop them up. Every single one of the major lawn installers in my town has at least one harley rake.

Airwave
04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Lawnworks,

Now that is what I needed to hear 'that it does exactly what it says on the tin' Thanks for that now just need to get leasing in place to buy one damn expensive shame I cant get it shipped direct from US with exchange rate would save a bomb. Thanks all for your help prob be back on in a few weeks on tips on how to use it.

Scottscape
04-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Harley rake is great, as said rock hound does wonders. Harley rake if tilted to side will most of the time put the rocks in rows after graded, then you can come by and scoop the rocks with the bucket.