PDA

View Full Version : Big Storm a-Brewin'! Should we wait to see, pre-m, etc?

lawnguyland
04-12-2007, 08:17 PM
There's talk of a nor'easter which could mean lots and lots of rain. About 2"! A good chunk of the USA will get nailed, lots of snow too for interior sections. Check out the weather sites!

I'm wondering if I should wait to finish putting down seed, fert, pre-m(in unseeded areas of course). I already have most of it done, but don't want to waste seed, fert, pre-m, etc on the customers I haven't finished to yet. I'm pretty sure we're gonna get a nasty storm, it's still plenty early for crabgras control anyway. Should I wait until next week to finish it or just do it and reapply some seed if I need later?

What are you gonna do?

Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters.

Opinions, plans, comments?

jrc lawncare
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
There's talk of a nor'easter which could mean lots and lots of rain. About 2"! A good chunk of the USA will get nailed, lots of snow too for interior sections. Check out the weather sites!

I'm wondering if I should wait to finish putting down seed, fert, pre-m(in unseeded areas of course). I already have most of it done, but don't want to waste seed, fert, pre-m, etc on the customers I haven't finished to yet. I'm pretty sure we're gonna get a nasty storm, it's still plenty early for crabgras control anyway. Should I wait until next week to finish it or just do it and reapply some seed if I need later?

What are you gonna do?

Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters.

Opinions, plans, comments? I haven't put any pre-em down yet. Still snow on some of our props. My contracts 21 window doesn't start till 4/14 anyway, & still gives me 3 weeks. weather sucks this year, I'm 3 weeks behind at least. What can you do.

ChadsLawn
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Id wait.. but then again us deep southern'ers dont do what your nother'ers do in the spring. We just let the rain come and have fun after.

PhillyShells
04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Heard the forecast just a while ago - if this hits we are going to get dumped on! Gale winds, coastal flooding, heavy rain etc etc etc. Wouldnt hurt to wait.

Avast ye matey ! Batten Down the Hatches and let Ye Nor'Easter blow !

YARR !

lawncare18
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Not good.. we are basicly working any days we can get in ... sats sun etc full days if its nice we are working.. its bad though and doesnt look to be getitng dryer or warmer anytime soon... How far behind is everyone??? Usually im ready to mow.. havent even done much yet... to wet and cold.

Toad
04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Tell me about it . My winter job was over a week ago. Hope to get started soon!

lawnguyland
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm on Long Island (zone 7)- similar to places in North Carolina so the pre-m timing is about now, could wait longer so I think I will. I usually do split apps anyway, but I don't want to waste it or have it and fert and seed wash into the stormwater and groundwater either. I think I might wait and do things like soil and mulch deliveries that aren't subject to the wrath of nature as much. What to do, what to do.....

lawncare18
04-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Farmers are in big trouble around my area to.. to wet to plow fields etc...

Turf Troll
04-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Snow and rain for two days, I'm looking to spray broad leaf and mow, oh well better than the drought this time last year, if I fertilized right it will be more grass to cut, more shrubs to trim, hmm let me see what else do I sell

General Landscaping
04-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Crabgrass.... It never died off here. The drought is keeping the weed seeds from sprouting though:clapping:

Finally broke down and turned on the A/C last night. At 7:OO it was still 85 in the house. It will probably stay on till Decemberpayup

indyturf
04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
2 weeks ago we were worried about early crabgrass germination! since then its turned winter again. Im not complaining!

ant
04-13-2007, 07:08 AM
you being in Long Island, NY i would hold off.. you got some storm coming. looks like it will be tuesday till i get out due to the wind and now the rain coming..
i would say hang in there but on the down side its May soon*trucewhiteflag*

THEGOLDPRO
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Not good.. we are basicly working any days we can get in ... sats sun etc full days if its nice we are working.. its bad though and doesnt look to be getitng dryer or warmer anytime soon... How far behind is everyone??? Usually im ready to mow.. havent even done much yet... to wet and cold.shoot man i have barely started my spring cleanups, its just been too wet, we're suppose to see alot of rain this week coming so that doesnt help either.

lawnguyland
04-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh well, I decided to do the lime, fert, and pre-m today, plus some seeding and heavy peat moss after raking the seed into any bare spots so it stays put. I didn't seed any large areas that need it in case the rain is bad. I'll do them later on. I am done with clean-ups- Hooooooo ray! Next week I start weekly services. I can always throw down more seed as I go. I might be cleaning up storm damage next week anyway. There's no time to wait, who was I kidding?
Good luck with this biatch of a storm coming- may even get snow!