PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation with 1 GPM well...

mcclureandson
04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
I didn't think it was possible but it's done...

We took a 220 ft deep 3-wire residential well (6inch well - 55foot casing with a static depth of 32 feet - 3/4 h.p pump) that yielded just 1 gpm and managed to irrigate 10,000 sq/ft of turf and plant beds.

Required installation of a 1500 gallon storage tank w/a centrif pump (that gave us 14-16 gpm and about an hour's worth of watering time). When we ran the tank dry we rpm'd the pump down for 20 hours or so to fill the resevoir again...

We are able to give the turf about an inch of water a week...not ideal in the dry months but sufficient for sure.

We had to install a holding tank because a 6-inch well 220 feet deep only holds enough water for twenty minutes or so of irrigation...and the house would have been without water for hours until it replenished itself.

Just goes to show you there's always a way...

Remote Pigtails
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
THAT is pretty amazing work.

bicmudpuppy
04-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Never been down to 1 gpm. Have seen plenty of <5gpm wells set up the same way. Have helped with a couple of irrigation systems where a 3-5gpm well was used to fill an on-site pond and then irrigate from the pond. This beats a tank, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have!

If you can get 1"/week over and above house consumption w/ a 1 gpm well, your doing real good in my book. Two person residence w/ no kids? What the marketing guys call DINK's?

mcclureandson
04-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I think a pond would have been better, too. And I think they also should have tied downspouts from the gutters as well...an inch of rain over the course of one hour x 1500 sq/ft roof yields nearly 1000 gallons of water. Anything that would allow the pump to 'rest' instead of constantly sipping up water at 1gpm would be better IMO.

PurpHaze
04-13-2007, 09:19 AM
But some people don't want the headaches associated with a ponding area. As long as your supply POC holds true, which in actuality is the tank with the well as just a continual supplier, then it'll continue to work. Sometimes you just have to do what has to be done. :)

Remote Pigtails
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I want a pond someday. I'm going to put tree limbs and stuff in it and create structure to have my own private fishing hole.

Ground Master
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
how much of that 10,000 ft is turf?

Dirty Water
04-13-2007, 12:01 PM
I've done one with 4gpm. Without using a tank :) Its always possible.

Hank Reardon
04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I've done one with 4gpm. Without using a tank :) Its always possible.

All you need are low precip nozzles and a plethora of zones, right? :)

mcclureandson
04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
A good portion (75%) of the total area is turf. It has a few things in it's favor...moderate shade, local soil holds water well (clay-based), out of the wind etc...that gives me confidence it will do fine with 1 inch a week during the summer. We get regular rain here...I'm not sure this would have worked in the southwest/desert states.

I've got another project soon that DOES involve constructing a pond for irrigation. I've never done an un-lined pond before...can only assume site selection is crucial - start with an area (if available) that naturally collects/holds water and proceed accordingly. This next site has a soggy/marshy corner that might be suitable. I'll also be filling/maintaining water level in this pond with a low-yield well, supplemented by rainfall. Anyone construct a small (3000 gallon?) pond suitable for irrigation before?

bicmudpuppy
04-14-2007, 01:22 AM
3k? you meant 30k gallons right? To irrigate from? A 3K pond needs a float fill just to maintain level if you put a fountain or waterfall in the design.
A "small" in ground swimming pool is 15K gallons. 10gpmx60minxzones = lots of water. 3K is going to go real fast

PurpHaze
04-14-2007, 01:22 AM
A good portion (75%) of the total area is turf. It has a few things in it's favor...moderate shade, local soil holds water well (clay-based), out of the wind etc...that gives me confidence it will do fine with 1 inch a week during the summer. We get regular rain here...I'm not sure this would have worked in the southwest/desert states.

If you tried that out here your landscape would return to "au naturel" bare dirt in no time flat. :laugh: