PDA

View Full Version : Lights on both sides of sidewalks & driveways?

Ramairfreak98ss
04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
How do you guys run the power wires for the lights if say a customer wants lights on the left side of a sidewalk, then some on the right side and then way on the other side of the house on both sides of a 30' wide cement driveway? Besides running a line ALL the way around the house for the one side of the driveway, i don't know how you'd run a line "under" a sidewalk to get on the foundation side of it?

ChampionLS
04-12-2007, 11:45 PM
You can install a sleeve, such as for irrigation and snake your wire through there. On the concrete driveway, we saw through the expansion joint (sometimes it's either wood or felt) install the wire and seal it back up with Sikaflex.

You can see some examples in our photogallery at www.eveningstarlighting.com

bobw
04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
You can have a contractor come in and bore under the driveway horizontally and drop a sleeve in for the wire. Look for horizontal boring for more information.

ChampionLS
04-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Check it out...

www.underwunder.com

www.sidewalksleever.com

Pro-Scapes
04-15-2007, 03:22 PM
sidewalks are the easy part. dig a trech a few feet back and about 12 inches deep on one side then a reciving pit on the other side. A number of methods for getting under them are possible but rememeber you also need a sleeve of conduit too.

A water jetter kit is avalable at lowes and home depot for around 3 bucks. This is simple altho a bit messy. just place the water jet parts on each end of your sleeve turn the water on and ram it under your walkway. If your going to be doing a few you can make up a more elaborate set up with some couplers and I also installed a ball valve on ours so I got water control right at my finger tips.

Diversa bit method. Bore sidewalk with a flexable drill bit. Duct tape conduit on and pull it back thru. If its a small walk just pull your bit out and slip the conduit in place.

Sometimes in sandy soils and narrow walks you can place a cap over the conduit and kinda wiggle it in and tap it with a hammer.

I do have an irrigation contractor with a ditch witch that does bores for driveways or you can use a borzit tool or any other number of tools commonly used by irrigation installers.

JC Lighting
04-17-2007, 01:36 AM
What about using the garage to cross the driveway?

I've seen the wire run up behind the downspout of the gutter then under the eve of the garage and down the gutter on the other side. Also, seen wire in pvc come up and into the side of the garage on one side then tacked to the header inside the garage and run through pvc out the garage on the other side.

Nate Mullen's book "Advanced Trade Secrets of Professional Landscape Lighting" on page 7-3 explains running the "wire up a rain gutter" using a "ball chain (like from a ceiling fan)" to "drop through the elbows and not get hung up". I assume you could run the wire up inside the down spout and into the gutter itself and then inside the down spout on the other side of the garage.

What do people think about these methods??

Jim C.

bumper
04-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Doing a job where once there was a river, rocks and lots of em. We tried the water jet route but hit rock a foot in. Purchased the "sidewalk sleever" and pounded that dog home. Problem was we could not extract if from the 1" line. Ended up using a 3/4" steel bar and pounded the opposite direction. Finally she came loose. Little more trenching then originally thought but it's done!!!!!

JC Lighting
04-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Bumper, I read about he "Sidewalk Sleever" and it sounds oh-so-easy. It said that you must not cut the conduit longer than the tappered part of the sleever and that both the conduit and the metal shaft should be clean when you start or else it will be difficult to extract the tool from the sleeve.

Do you think one or both of these were your problem or do you think it's just not that easy??

Jim C.

bumper
04-20-2007, 05:07 PM
We followed the instructions closely as the last thing we needed was have it stuck. We had some serious rock to bust up and am actually suprised it managed that and left the 1" pipe intact on extraction. I might grease it up a little next. Once we cleared 18" it came out fairly easy.

irrig8r
04-21-2007, 06:17 PM
You can install a sleeve, such as for irrigation and snake your wire through there. On the concrete driveway, we saw through the expansion joint (sometimes it's either wood or felt) install the wire and seal it back up with Sikaflex.

You can see some examples in our photogallery at www.eveningstarlighting.com

I had never heard of Sikaflex. Thanks for the tip. Which of these do you use?

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/con-prod-name.htm#con-prod-SikaflexConstructionSealant

Lightscapes
04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I've used the sidewalk sleever, and it is very easy in most situations, but rock is rock. Actually installed 2 sleeves in 5 minutes total, but that was in beautiful base under the sidewalk.

klkanders
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I have a 20' concrete driveway that needs boring and 1" poly pulled thru. What are all you paying for something like this?