PDA

View Full Version : Tips for new business

tann3100
04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello all Im new to the forum and hope to be a regular here. I am looking into starting my own mowing service. I have helped another guy for the past 4 years and have now learnt things about it however I still need some advice.

I have been looking and reading about starting my own business as I am very interested in doing so. I have some questions though such as equipment some dos and donts and just some tips.

1. first question is I have read on here about getting some customers lined up before actually buying the equipment. At what point (how many customers) should I line up before commiting to purchasing the equipment?

2. how do you reccomend gaining some customers to get started before actually purchasing the equipment.

3. The guy I mowed for ran all exmarks what do you all reccomend equipment wise?

4. Also I am wanting to get a pickup truck and want to get a good used one due to the fact of possible damage to a new one what do you all reccomend on that is that a good idea?

My job schedule allows me alot of time off I work every third day so I have plenty of time to cut yards. My question is around here alot of the commercial is taking but there seems to be a lack of people to cut residential should I try and start out targeting residential the neighborhoods here have alot of houses in each that are very close together so I could easily pick up several yards in each that are very close together and would only take about 15-20 minutes to mow and trim and blow each. What do you all recommend on this?

Thanks for the help

dannyboy20
04-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Alot of people will say dont buy any equipment until you have a resonable amont of customers. I will be doing this part time so I plan on having the equipment already. That way I am confident to take on any size mowing job. As long as you have a mower, trimmer, and blower you can make a decent start with that. Then if you get more lawns, find a decent W.B. and just go from there.

dannyboy20
04-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Deffinetely go for the neighborhoods. If you can impress one person in that neighborhood, word of mouth goes a long way.

garrettlawn
04-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Buy equipment first then you will be forced to get out and get your yards to pay for it!!

tann3100
04-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the comments. Fortuantely I wont have to finance anything and plan on getting a zero turn and a walk behind although Im not for sure what is better out there now as I have heard different people say different things. I just want to make sure that I have my ducks in a row.

what would you all reccomend as for mowers? I mean what do you all like best. I looked at toro and ferris then I heard hustler I mean which one would you all go with considering whats out there?

supercuts
04-15-2007, 10:40 AM
i would buy a mower prior to picking up any lawns, just say you dont have quiet enough lawns to buy your mower so you tell the few people they will have to wait, they will tell you to take a walk. so your back at the same starting point. if you mess up and get a bad rep in the begining, it woudl be a horrible way to start. as for questiosn 1 and 2 arent they the same?? for 3 get a brand of a mower a good dealer sells, dealer support is more important than brand to me. 4, dont overinvest, buy what you can afford for a truck, go used.

in the future your really going to want to proofread your post. yours was horribly difficult to follow and didnt make sence in a few spots. if you want people to leave you good advice you need to start with a clear, understandable questions good luck

sedge
04-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Hello all Im new to the forum and hope to be a regular here. I am looking into starting my own mowing service. I have helped another guy for the past 4 years and have now learnt things about it however I still need some advice.

I have been looking and reading about starting my own business as I am very interested in doing so. I have some questions though such as equipment some dos and donts and just some tips.

1. first question is I have read on here about getting some customers lined up before actually buying the equipment. At what point (how many customers) should I line up before commiting to purchasing the equipment?

2. how do you reccomend gaining some customers to get started before actually purchasing the equipment.

3. The guy I mowed for ran all exmarks what do you all reccomend equipment wise?

4. Also I am wanting to get a pickup truck and want to get a good used one due to the fact of possible damage to a new one what do you all reccomend on that is that a good idea?

My job schedule allows me alot of time off I work every third day so I have plenty of time to cut yards. My question is around here alot of the commercial is taking but there seems to be a lack of people to cut residential should I try and start out targeting residential the neighborhoods here have alot of houses in each that are very close together so I could easily pick up several yards in each that are very close together and would only take about 15-20 minutes to mow and trim and blow each. What do you all recommend on this?

Thanks for the help

The Quick 36 sounds like a good mower for a guy just starting out, well heck for even an established guy. But, don't over purchase yourself to start, you don't know really how busy you will become.

tann3100
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I will try and ask the questions a little differently so they are easier to follow sorry about that.

Thanks again for the comments. Anyone else have any comments as to what brand to buy?

supercuts
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
find a good dealer in your area and build up a relationship with them. pick a brand of mower they say, usually they sell 2. when it breaks a good dealer with fix it quick for you being commerical. i run bobcats, but scagg, exmark, huslter, walker all good

bigmudder77
04-16-2007, 11:14 AM
get a DAM GOOD USED TRUCK and dont run the hell out of it like i did with mine a i was putting like 200 miles or more a day on my truck the rear end finally locked up and most likley took out the transmission what i great way to start the mowing season off right. but ya get a good used truck and if you cant afford it buy 2 beater trucks cause you never know when one is gonna break and you cant make the grass not grow until you get it fixed. you need a back up if you go with beaters. i am just starting out and i would like to have a back up new truck but i cant afford it so i need to get a back up beater i just went out and got 3 more trucks for $1500 total and i will be making money parting one out and still have 2 ok trucks one i will drive every day the other is for whenever the better one breaks.

tann3100
04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
get a DAM GOOD USED TRUCK and dont run the hell out of it like i did with mine a i was putting like 200 miles or more a day on my truck the rear end finally locked up and most likley took out the transmission what i great way to start the mowing season off right. but ya get a good used truck and if you cant afford it buy 2 beater trucks cause you never know when one is gonna break and you cant make the grass not grow until you get it fixed. you need a back up if you go with beaters. i am just starting out and i would like to have a back up new truck but i cant afford it so i need to get a back up beater i just went out and got 3 more trucks for $1500 total and i will be making money parting one out and still have 2 ok trucks one i will drive every day the other is for whenever the better one breaks.

Thanks for the tips. Do you reccomend a gas burner or a diesel burner?