PDA

View Full Version : Motor Flushing ?

Mowman
07-31-2001, 08:39 AM
Have any of you ever flushed your engines out? I have done this on my cars and trucks to get rid of gunk in the engine. Works fine in V-8's just wondering if it would be safe to do it to my 20HP Kolher? If so what have you used? Reason I'd like to do this is to clean the engine and start running synthetic oil in her. Thanks for your advice.
Mowman

Richard Martin
07-31-2001, 08:58 AM
It is usually a waste of time. To see if your engine is gunked up just remove a valve cover and take a look. If you have been doing your oil changes regularly it should be just about sparkling clean.

roscioli
07-31-2001, 09:21 AM
Somebody please correct me if i am wrong, but from what I have always heard: Synthetic and conventional oils mix, hence the mixes they sell in the store. It would be fine to just change over to syn from conventional with no flush. I dont believe in flushes because it is like running without oil (or with watered down oil) for the 5 minutes they say... kinda stupid if you ask me.

HacMan91
07-31-2001, 11:39 AM
hey ive used a flush on a truck i used to have with no problems. I got a friend who is a mechanic and hes says not to. He says it loosens the deposits (like its supposed to do) but all the trash does not come out and it floats around your engine waiting to clog something up. Medically its like having a clot floating around your body waiting to cause a stroke.

Richard Martin
07-31-2001, 04:27 PM
roscioli,
Synthetics and conventional oils do mix as long as it says it's safe to do so on the container of synthetic.

linky
07-31-2001, 06:43 PM
Use caution when flushing. If you flush a high mileage engine that is full of sludge that stuff does not just drain out. It will get stuck in the oil pump screen and the filter. I would not switch to synthetic oils on a high mileage engine. I have seen many demoes on synthetic products and i beleive that amsoil has the best.