PDA

View Full Version : Ow!!

gorrell
07-31-2001, 10:12 AM
I pulled a good one Saturday evening. I'd just changed blades on my flatlander with my jungle jack and decided to tackle one of my suburb'n turbn's before quitting for the evening. I tried to raise the deck the first time and said "man is this ever heavy". I tried the second time and my left foot slipped and my right foot turned as I fell and dislocated and broke my right ankle. I called to my wife who was nearby and said I think I broke my ankle and when she saw it at a 90 degree angle to the other foot she said(Oh yeah you did!) Anyway our Saturday evening and night was spent in the emergency room and operating room. I ended up with a plate and 7 screws in my ankle and a cast up to my knee and most likely no work for 5-6 weeks. Thank God for good employees. Boys and girls take it from me, you can't be too careful.......................Lynn

TGCummings
07-31-2001, 10:35 AM
Wow, Lynn, get well soon!

It just goes to show you how things can just happen, and how careful we need to be out there. You've got good employees, as you've said, so that'll help in your situation, but us solo ops out here have to be twice as careful. One bad mishap like that could force some of us to hang up our mowing hats, and that's a scary prospect.

Thanks for sharing!

-TGC

shorelinelawn
07-31-2001, 01:42 PM
OUCH !!
Hope you get well soon.
At least you have employees to get the jobs done !
At least you can "relax" the rest of summer. Maybe there's a lake nearby you can pull up a chair, drop a line, and enjoy a cold beverage !!! As your staff does the job.
Just don't push your healing process !!! if they say 6 weeks, they mean 6 weeks !
If ya don't like fishing, put a lawn chair in the bed of one of your trucks, prop up an umbrella, pack a cooler, then " supervise "
Good Luck !!!!!
Ralph

oneEXMARKfan
07-31-2001, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident Lynn. Hope you aren't in too much pain, and it heals fast. As a solo op. I don't know what I would do, but glad you have things under control. Thinking about getting a Jungle Jack, have you been happy with yours?

gorrell
07-31-2001, 04:33 PM
oneExmarkfan, yes I've been happy with the jungle jack until this incident. I believe the Suburb'n Turb'n is just too heavy for the jack to lift. I usually drive up on the side of the tailgate of the trailer, but couldn't Saturday because the truck was not hooked to the trailer. Guess I should have waited until it was. Hind sight is 20/20...................Lynn

HOMER
07-31-2001, 06:43 PM
Lynn,

The left ankle is the one you need to raise and lower the deck, it's still healthy! Don't use this as an excuse to get out of working the rest of the summer. Prop that right foot up and get back at it!

Well, with no employees that's what I would have to do:cry:

Cutter1
07-31-2001, 09:06 PM
My buddy tore something in his ankle one year. He use to hope up onto his laser and riggerd a system for it to be propped up. It was a funny site, but he kept cutting. :) Use to use crutches to get in his cutting truck, I give him credit, I would of been "supervising" :)

cp
07-31-2001, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear this GORRELL.

Hope the pain doesn't last. and I would seriously consider the wet line theory of recovery..

eslawns
08-01-2001, 01:01 AM
I usually drive up on the side of the tailgate of the trailer, but couldn't Saturday because the truck was not hooked to the trailer.

I do this sometimes also. FYI: If your trailer isn't attached to the truck, put a jack stand under it at the rear on each corner. Instead of the tongue being held down, the gate end is held up. It's less of a hassle than moving vehicles. BTW, I only do this on a flat paved surface. The stands will sink into a lawn or stone driveway.

Runner
08-01-2001, 01:20 AM
Sorry to hear this, Lynn. Get well soon, and take care. By the way, I haven't seen you around lately..., is it just me?

Eric ELM
08-01-2001, 01:28 AM
I hope you make a speedy recovery Lynn. Get well soon. :)

Davis TLC
08-01-2001, 08:45 AM
Lynn,

Take it easy and get well soon.

dhicks
08-01-2001, 11:04 PM
God that would be my luck. Speedy recovery and I'll even say a prayer for you. :angel:

Randy
08-01-2001, 11:36 PM
Get well soon.

JimsLandscaping
08-02-2001, 01:11 AM
Hope u get well soon:)

Jim

kutnkru
08-02-2001, 07:44 AM
Lynn,

Hope your back up and on your feet feeling better soon!:blob3:

Pun intended. :p
Kris

TheMom
08-02-2001, 03:07 PM
Lynn,

Listen to your doc and don't get back on that ankle too soon... 3 years ago I slipped on a wet floor (my own dumb fault) and probably did break my left ankle. However, no med insurance at the time, plus my foot wasn't on an angle like yours, so I made the best of it... for almost a year the only way I could put any weight on it was to wear a MagnaBloc wristband on my ankle. Say what you want about voodoo medicine, but those magnets work!

-- Barbara:p