PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on edging

Darrin A.
04-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Do you edge the curb near the road on normal jobs, ie. not high end. The jobs in this area will be about $35 -$45 for mow, trim, blow. Is it common to edge the curb at the street if you are edging the rest?

bohiaa
04-13-2007, 08:47 AM
yes

it sure makes it look nice

LawnSharks
04-13-2007, 08:50 AM
ALWAYS. Curb appeal is the best seller we have have.

puddin' pie
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
ALWAYS. Curb appeal is the best seller we have have.
yes..........

cward
04-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Absolutely. Treat your low end jobs exactly as you would your nice properties. You never know where your next customer is lurking. Furthermore, be proud of your work and make the crappiest yard look the best you can.

Poncho25
04-13-2007, 04:20 PM
As the rest stated, yes, edging everything that is around the house. Its the little things like that, that people notice! I edge all my clients beds also, as long as there is not to many. I Have one that has over 2k sqft of beds those types I charge a bit more if they want their beds edged.

SoloSulkySurfer
04-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Yes, it only take another minute or two anyway.

Vikings
04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Do you guys edge it with an actual edger?

Nobody edges here but I have just sent out 30k flyers with Edging advertised anyway, I was hoping to establish the edge with an edger then maintain it with a Edgit. Good idea?

dcondon
04-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Do you guys edge it with an actual edger?

Nobody edges here but I have just sent out 30k flyers with Edging advertised anyway, I was hoping to establish the edge with an edger then maintain it with a Edgit. Good idea?

Most of the time you will only have to do it once a year with a stick edger or wb. After that just use your trimmer.

xtrim
04-14-2007, 12:48 AM
If you skip a week w/o edging here in FL... it will look nasty... specially on St. Augustine grass

GravyTrain
04-14-2007, 01:56 AM
If you skip a week w/o edging here in FL... it will look nasty... specially on St. Augustine grass
here in central arkansas, the bermuda will just start snaking all over the place. I've got two or three new customers this summer that it has taken me 2 visits to get the line trained back to a respectable line. I've found that using an actual edger is faster than using a trimmer anyways.

ACutAbovesiny
04-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Im not a fan of trimming my edges. A stick edger is much better in my opinion. The only thing we do is use a walk behind edger in early Spring then a stick edger the rest of the season.

Grits
04-14-2007, 02:30 AM

That's for sure.

xtrim
04-14-2007, 09:01 AM
here in central arkansas, the bermuda will just start snaking all over the place. I've got two or three new customers this summer that it has taken me 2 visits to get the line trained back to a respectable line. I've found that using an actual edger is faster than using a trimmer anyways.

An edger is a MUST in Fl, if we see LCO's using a trimmer, we laugh at them

supercuts
04-14-2007, 09:22 AM
An edger is a MUST in Fl, if we see LCO's using a trimmer, we laugh at them

it depends where you are, clearly the guys in FL always use a true edger. in CT the majority of "edging" is done with a string trimmer to keep grass from growing over sidewalks and driveways. the only edging i do is with a rounded end hand edger, looks like a shovel with a round tip and flat blade, and do mulch beds when laying much. on a rare occassion i have done sidewalks/driveways that have been neglected. otherwise, its all done with the trimmer here by the majority of LCO's

JayD
04-14-2007, 10:13 AM
You guys that keep talking about a " stick edger ", I think I know what your talking about, but do you really have control with those? I have never seen one used, but looking at then, I wonder if they are all over the place when trying to use it. Whats your thoughts on this. Are they worth buying?
Thanks for all your input.
Jay

GravyTrain
04-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I'll be the first to say it took me a couple times to get used to it, and I'm still learning the right speed, angle and other ins-and-outs of using it. At first, I was questioning my purchase, but after I've got most of them trained back, I'm probably 10 times faster with the stick edger as opposed to the trimmer.

fiveoboy01
04-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Yes, every place that grass meets concrete gets edged every week. I use a stick edger, never a trimmer.

lurch
04-14-2007, 01:44 PM
i've gotten really good using my trimmer...now i just need to work on the speed and effeciancy....once i'm a little faster i'll be alright

rfed32
04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
yeah wb edger once in spring once in mid summer and the rest of the time i use the trimmer...around gardens depends if the edge is there or not....