PDA

View Full Version : education

sulliaa8
04-13-2007, 02:03 PM
What does everyone recommend for learning the business? I have a few years left in the service so I have the time to take classes if necessary. Otherwise do you recommend just reading a few books or apprenticeship, etc?

violatorjf
04-13-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm considering working part-time for some local lawn care company just to get some experience under my belt.

Duekster
04-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm considering working part-time for some local lawn care company just to get some experience under my belt.

He is in the service and wants to study now. Maybe you should spend some time helping at a day care and learn to read.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Sulliaa8

I would read on turf management publications from a local ag university in the region of the country you want to settle in.

I would study weeds and the control methods.

You could take some Horticulture classes if you like. How much class time you want? You want a degree?

gravtyklz
04-13-2007, 05:18 PM
He is in the service and wants to study now. Maybe you should spend some time helping at a day care and learn to read.

He also asked if he should go for an apprenticeship. And in any case I think the user you were reprimanding was only sharing his own learning method anyways.

But in any case I have the same sort of question going through my head about the whole deal. I've done different apprenticeship things myself and quite frankly I'm sick of those, and I'm pretty busy with other things so I wouldnt be interested in doing that at all, but theres much I would like to learn about mowing techniques and such.

Theres a ton of information to buy online who all claim their writings are the only good ones. So which one of them is right, or are they all?

Duekster
04-13-2007, 06:05 PM
I do stand corrected. If he is going to do an apprenticeship. I would do it in the pest control industry if he can find a part time deal.

I know a lot of folks like to do striping and stuff but that is a lost art down here as we have warm season grassed. Yes we over seed in the winter.

I would learn more about soil health, diseases and such than I would worry about mowing. That's just me.

sulliaa8
04-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the response. I am interested in horticulture classes or landscape architechure but I'm not sure overall how much of a difference the degree would make as opposed to just taking the basic courses. I want focus on lawn care and work into landscaping so does it make a difference? Do customers ever ask about degrees or certification anyway? I understand the more you know the better off you'll be but would I be just as well off studying the region I will work in and like I said just taking the basic courses? Also, I would consider apprenticeship for a season just to get an idea of how other companies work and to see what works and what doesn't.