PDA

View Full Version : Getting started; equipment ???'s Central/South Florida

Tider6972
07-31-2001, 01:36 PM
Hello, everyone! I've been reading a while, feel like I know you (g), this is my first post.

I've owned a couple of small businesses over the past 20 years, am going to get into the lawn care business for the change and the enjoyment...ummm,
er, and the , errr, 'green'. LOL

I want to get your input on equipment, if you please.

I intend to do mowing, blowing and trimming, residential and commercial. I also plan to offer
tree pruning, hedging, fertilization, seeding, dethatching, aerating, clean-ups, mulching and such on a limited basis. I have to get some experience other than my own home before I get too deep into the more "technical" services.

NOW...I like Toro/ExMark and something 'bout that green and yellow of John Deere!

My thinking is to get a 52' or 54' ZTR, 22-23 hp,
and as a back-up, also for smaller areas and the dethatching, aerating, seeding, fert., etc. a ...
don't shoot!..garden tractor: GT235 Deere, or 268H
Toro.

I realize I may need a 21', got one I'll use to get started. Handhelds Echo 260 series or Shindaiwa T260 type stuff.

I will very much appreciate any and all of your thoughts on my ideas; I have learned to listen to Experience!

Thanks, Steve

Scraper
07-31-2001, 02:24 PM
I would consider fertilizing and such as a "more technical service"...

oneEXMARKfan
07-31-2001, 03:05 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite Steve! Sounds like you already have a good idea of what kinds/brands of equipment to buy. Several people here may (maybe not) suggest a 60" ZTR. Sounds like you deff. have a good plan........Good luck to you! oneEXMARKfan
(can bring my eXmark down there, and let you try it out, but I'll have to stay at your house for a week or 2 in the A/C (hope you live close to the beach......he he he)

sheppard
07-31-2001, 06:38 PM
The practical realities of the right equipment depends on the strength of the local dealer. I think Exmark is great, but the local dealership has poor reviewes. Watch out for those gates to the back yard- if you have lots of yards with big back areas you'll need something that can get through them that is productive. The number of accounts is not the key- proximity is!

Cordially,
Sheppard

Fantasy Lawns
07-31-2001, 08:20 PM
Here's some help:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MENU_LH:LHLAWN
http://dlis.dos.state.fl.us/fgils/government.html

this one pertains to "pest & weed control" .....careful the fine is $5k ....that includes ANY Liquid ....like Round Up
http://doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/aes/pestcont.html

you'll see alot of 42" Walkers down here .....for good reason .....getting under citrus trees .... small yards with LOTS of twist n turns ....mulches nice ...... small back gates .....hydro's are a MUST ..... lots of rain here (finally) but more so you'll need reverse to help under the citrus & tight areas .....pistol grips are nice .... but use one all day on a non flat terrain with lot's of turns.... going around lots of shrubs n trees with thorns & wasp .....don't let go ;->

ZTR when you get the 1+acres stuff or multiple .......you'll see most dealers sell n serve Scag (pass) DC (nice) ..... Walker (but of course) lots of Dane's (price n compact) ....MTD's are getting big (price) .....36" Toro's n Snappers (dependable, just always need a 36)......Lesco (price) .....JD's (I wish I could afford one) are mainly the big boys on F series or 1400's for road ways ..... I don't have a clue why Exmarks are not big down here BUT not too many guys sell or work on em ???

Only the hedging is a "technical" service you should get into ..... for now ....... use the first link to understand our St. Aug grass which is Sod (does not use seeding, dethatching, aerating) the seed mix grasses down here WILL reguire a "Reel" mower ....lots of maintance n not too many have it ..... due to maintance cost

where about's in S Central are you ???......there are some fat cat's in the O town area ....

Good Luck ;->

Tider6972
08-02-2001, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Steve those links are of great help! I've bookmarked them for sure.

I had a NAPA store in Cocoa, lived on Banana River
Drive in MI for 10 years...we were across the river neighbors (G).

I am going to go further south, these 45-50 degree winter temps are running me !Looking at Ft. Myers / Naples, or on the East coast somewhere from Stuart to the lower Keys...no Miami tho...too big for me...am spending some time in several areas, talking t9o LCO's as well as dealers trying to get a feel for each place.

Thanks again !