PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Treatment Trucks

Hermanator
04-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey Guys,

I am wondering where to purchase or who makes the Tru-Green and Scott's types of spray trucks. Trying to get a base line for spending projections.

Also, do you feel that these types of trucks are more advantageous over flat bed trucks when considering all the costs and benefits or other pick-up based set ups?

Thanx

indyturf
04-13-2007, 06:49 PM
They are great to work put of, but you would spend a small fortune if you buy a new one! I bought one at a auction a few years back. check around and see if you can find a used one.

Hermanator
04-13-2007, 07:15 PM
What did you pay for yours and how old was it when you bought it?

Thanx

green horizons
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I can't comment on price, but I believe access is the only drawback. If your business is dedicated to apps., it's probably worth it. If you offer other services (mow,plant,etc.), you might consider the age-old skid sprayer. As for truck type, one could convert any van or box truck. Good luck.

motoguy
04-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Any leads / tips / ideas on where to look for these trucks used?

I've read (here, actually) that these rig use the truck engines to power the spray pumps. This means the trucks are running solid for probably 12-14 hours per day. Would this be an issue? That's going to be a lot of hours, but not a lot of load.

I used to think it was a problem leaving them running all the time, until I noticed that's what I do with mine, too. I'd rather just leave it running than start / stop it 3-4 times per site to move it...

vegomatic40
04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Call TG/CL in Memphis (corporate not branch) and ask to speak to the Fleet Services department. You might have to jump through a few hoops but they will steer you to the right person for vehicle-decommision. In the past they have sold trucks (minus pumps,tanks reels etc.) and usually have fairly solid chassis. The fiberglass bodies are another matter entirely as they tend to look like they have been through a war and lost. They weigh the cost of repair vs. replacement pretty shrewdly at the corporate level. You might also try they local branch(es) and talk with the manager to see if they have any units that need repair and see if he will part with them. Have a buddy that bought one, put in his own pumping system, painted it. put on logos etc. for around $11,000 and it looks very good.

Duekster
04-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Supreme makes those bodies and they are exclusive to TG/CL.

If you want a NEW truck like that with a similar shell on it I would budget around 32K for the diesel and no equipment, paint or decals.

GrazerZ
04-14-2007, 11:28 AM
There is one on ebay right now

GrazerZ
04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Item number: 330108497159

motoguy
04-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Supreme makes those bodies and they are exclusive to TG/CL.

If you want a NEW truck like that with a similar shell on it I would budget around 32K for the diesel and no equipment, paint or decals.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. Whichever route I go (enclosed or flatbed), it'll be used. :)

Duekster
04-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of that. Whichever route I go (enclosed or flatbed), it'll be used. :)

That's cool.

I like new equipment.

Easier to find in a good condition. Little to no maintenance for several years. Lower interest rates and often longer terms.

motoguy
04-14-2007, 04:20 PM
That makes sense. At this stage, I like having all my equipment paid for. If something serious were to arise, I like not having to worry about making payments.

It may change later, but I'm (in general) not a "buy new" kind of guy. I like letting other people take the initial depreciation hit. That may change with the business due to tax strategy, but that's a decision for the CPA. Right now, in our first year, I don't want to go into debt.

Warranties, low hours, and little / no maintenance are certainly nice to have on new equipment, though.

boats47
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
You can not buy those trucks any more. There was a design flaw in that style truck in that the fiber glass was cracking on a regular basis. I also believe they have some sort of patten on the design, but could be wrong. You are better off having Supreme make something for you. They are making me a truck as we speak and should be delivered by the second week of May. I will post pictures once I get the tanks mounted inside.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
bay shore trucks in del sells them lots of them and they come in all kinds of messed up the ones i looked in were shot however if u want to make them into something good u can with the time
i didnt like the setup in them and u also have to redo all the tanks and start over as they drill holes in everything befor they are sold

Grassworks Inc.
04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I bought a 94 GMC W4 enclosed truck (what TG calls a "rhino") from Bayshore in 2003. Paid 8000 for it, all it needed was a new hose reel, hose, and some minor repairs. It's been in daily service since. I always buy used trucks, try to stay out of debt as much as possible.

americanlawn
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
We bought several of old TruGreen units. Deisel trucks. I'd keep the truck, then install spray tanks. Eliminate the housing, and install a flatbed plus spray tanks.
This is if you want a spray rig that can spray lots of gallons for a cheap investment.