PDA

View Full Version : mulching kit?

gravtyklz
04-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Well I decided to bum 46" riding mower and try a few accounts and then go from there rather than buying something used at start up.

The Mower is a 46" MTD Garden tractor.

I have a question concerning customers though. Do most of them want their grass bagged or a mulching kit used so that there arent rows of clippings everywhere?

The mower needs blades and the deck is mulch capable, so I figured i'll buy whats best to begin with.

One last question too....

When I see nice jobs done it looks like some mower was used that can make an do the zero turning deal or atleast make an immediate 180 spin. On a riding mower thats obviously not possible, but it looks so neat the way the commercial mowers do. So using a rider how would you cut the yard? I've always gone in a circle untill its finished but I dont care what my yard looks like, I just want it done.

mcwlandscaping
04-13-2007, 06:29 PM
You probably would have been better off with a used 36 or 48 inch WB than that MTD.......If you can't discharge cleanly, then mulch it

gravtyklz
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
What would you say is discharging cleanly? Bagging?

I had a thread not too long ago where I was asking about WB mowers that were used, and the consensus seemed to be that it was best to have something that was in excellent working order and I dont really have those funds to throw into it right now.

If using a rider is a bad idea then I would just have to wait a while longer before starting anything up, so no big deal.

PLM-1
04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Well I decided to bum 46" riding mower and try a few accounts and then go from there rather than buying something used at start up.

The Mower is a 46" MTD Garden tractor.

I have a question concerning customers though. Do most of them want their grass bagged or a mulching kit used so that there arent rows of clippings everywhere?

The mower needs blades and the deck is mulch capable, so I figured i'll buy whats best to begin with.

One last question too....

When I see nice jobs done it looks like some mower was used that can make an do the zero turning deal or atleast make an immediate 180 spin. On a riding mower thats obviously not possible, but it looks so neat the way the commercial mowers do. So using a rider how would you cut the yard? I've always gone in a circle untill its finished but I dont care what my yard looks like, I just want it done.

Everybody has to start somewhere. You can do a K or a Y turn to get the back and forth'ness. Go the end turn either left or right. Back up a little bit, then continue with the next pass. Takes forever, but can be done.

M&SLawnCare
04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I've been using a 42" scotts lawn tracker for several years. This will be the first year i make the switch to an 36" exmark w/b (and possibly a 48" depending how busy i get).

You can do a job with a lawn tracker that looks as good as any commercial mower. The difference is how fast you can do it. If you only have a few jobs then speed shouldn't be that big of a concern, and your fine with what you have. As you grow and time becomes more important, then you can upgrade.

As for mulching or bagging its up to you based on the conditions of the yard, what the customer wants, how much time you want to spend, and what quality your looking for. If you mulch you'll have to go fairly slow and often double or even triple cut, unless the grass hasn't grown hardly any. Side discharge is fastest but its also the sloppiest. The last 2 years I've been bagging almost exclusively and its working very well for me. I can cut pretty fast and get very good quality. However it works for me because i have very close and free areas to dump around here. So you need to take that into account before you decide to bag.

Main thing is get out there and see what works for you. K and Y turns work fine. Sometimes I'll cut in a "box" pattern like you mentioned. All depends on the yard and what the customer wants. While you only have a few jobs, take your time and just learn what the machine can handle, and what "look" your looking for. You can do about anything with that mower that a commercial mower can do, the only difference is how long it takes to do, and how long the mower will last.