PDA

View Full Version : Weathermatic and Smartline?

Duramaxsle1
04-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I haven't come across this product up here and anyone tell me about it and this Smartline controllers?

Remote Pigtails
04-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Wmtic is a local company with a long history in DFW. They have had some turbulent times recently but this controller in my opinion is the best thing to come out of them in years. I went to a seminar on it and have installed about twenty of them now. Since I don't do installs controller replacement is usually part of an upgrade. The feature I like most is that I can install as a normal clock with a regular program or i can install with a weather based monitor. It is not true ET but comes fairly close. It has diagnostic features, can ping a valve, allows preset monthly percentages. The best suggestion I can make is to sit down with one sometime for about an hour and I think you will be impressed. It has a few annoying quirks such as speaker wire connectors, when you open the panel it kills the 24vac power, they have promised a wireless monitor and remote forever. The indoor version is really flimsy compared to the outdoor. For what I'm trying to do as an irrigation company though it is a good fit for me.

irrig8r
04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Ditto on all counts. I think it's a great clock. I've only installed one so far this past October, and I'm waiting for some warm weather to monitor the water savings and how green the turf stays.

Looks to me like a decent controller without the monitoring too, including the ability to do month by month seasonal adjusts in advance.

Another big feature still promised and not yet out is an inexpensive handheld remote... (I know the more expensive and longer range TRC is available now.)

DarkLotus
04-14-2007, 06:45 AM
I have installed about 100 of the Smartlines and about 30 or so weather monitors in the NE. I think it's a great product and easy to use. The thing sold itself to commercial properties which used city water for their irrigation. It saved the companies a lot of water and saved me time.

That was over a year ago. How they're holding up, I don't know. They don't sell in Miami.

Duramaxsle1
04-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Can you tell me the pricing on this unit and the weather station?

Remote Pigtails
04-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Your timing for this question is perfect cuz I have an invoice for a couple today for installs this week.
Basic 4 station outdoor clock 86.071
4 station module 26.879
on-site weathermatic monitor 115.680
STARS 2 Vancouver 0 priceless

Duramaxsle1
04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
That's great, thanks for the information, I think if I can get it here I am going to give them a try!

Have you tried the 2-wirs system they have and how is that for price?

Remote Pigtails
04-15-2007, 08:52 AM
That's great, thanks for the information, I think if I can get it here I am going to give them a try!

Have you tried the 2-wirs system they have and how is that for price?

Never have tried it. Went to a seminar on two wire and as a service person that two wire stuff really worries me. If you lose a valve it is going to be really hard to find.

Flyerave
04-15-2007, 02:27 PM
The WeatherMatic ET system is ok, but the Rainbird ET Manager is a better system.

First of all, the weather station is not that precise. It is a simple, $269 weather station that produces information that will never be as reliable as a precision weather station usually found on golf courses. The Rainbird ET Manager utilizes precision weather stations that receive a broadcast of weather information EVERY HOUR, not once daily like the WeatherMatic. Some people believe that not having a weather station on the site will not generate accurate ET measurements but this is NOT the case.

ET is relatively constant over a wide area, but the rainfall can vary drastically over a short distance. Rainbird offers an optional rain gauge that measures rainfall as little as 1 (one) millimeter.

ET (Evapotranspiration) is not new, the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) standard has been around for 15 years, but the increase in legislation that reduces runoff from irrigation systems is bringing the technology to market. I have personal experience with the savings that the ET Manager brings to our properties and it is consistently 40% or more on all my sites currently being monitored.

Mike Leary
04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
ET monitoring may work in areas that don't have "micro-climates", as we
do in the Pacific NW. I'm hoping weather station prices will come down &
this is what we're looking at for our highenders. Reminds me of a Hunter demo of their first ET-based clock in Sequim, WA, a much drier area than
the Seattle area. Guess what, the ET was the same! Jon knows the difference.