PDA

View Full Version : Cabover box truck or Truck/Trailer

NewWave
04-13-2007, 11:59 PM
We are in the market for a new lawnmowing set up. I have seen people run the cab over box truck set up and was curious to know how that goes and what size box do you need. Which one is better? Gas mileage benefits either way? My partner wants to do the cabover box truck. We currently have a 2006 LCF and we love it. Any opinions? We currently have a 60" Exmark Lazer Z and 48" Toro ProLine and the usual equipment. Next year we are moving to two riders. What do you guys think?

LawnGuy73
04-14-2007, 07:33 AM
If you dont do snow removal, cabover....

Lawnworks
04-14-2007, 03:49 PM
I love cabover/landscape bodies... I have 3 of them.

Duekster
04-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Right now I have truck trailer combo's but the cab over is a cool unit.

GrassMonkey
04-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a cab over and wish for a truck and trailer combo for its versatility. If I am out selling I have to drive the cab over around which is expensive given gas prices. I wanted a truck and trailer combo so that I can haul mowers AND tractors. Ever try loading a trackloader on a cab over landscape bed.....be very careful. If all you do is cut grass, I say the cab over is great for that but it is purpose built.

You also have to look at the cost of the cab over versus a truck and trailer combo.

Eclipse
04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Everyone has different preferences.

Since several guys on this site use their "work" truck as their personal vehicle also I'd be willing to bet the truck and trailer combo will be the preference.

If the truck is going to be a work only truck and you do not plow snow, salt, or have another need for a pickup (or have other pickups available) I think a cab over would be very hard to beat.

I also like a truck with a dump body and an enclosed trailer. I'd have a hard time picking my preference out of these two setups since each has it's advantages.

ODC
04-15-2007, 12:42 AM
I do not mow grass but if I did I would use the box truck. If you do snow you could use that as your shovelers truck that could hold snowblowers a pallet of salt etc.

Lawnworks
04-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I have a cab over and wish for a truck and trailer combo for its versatility. If I am out selling I have to drive the cab over around which is expensive given gas prices. I wanted a truck and trailer combo so that I can haul mowers AND tractors. Ever try loading a trackloader on a cab over landscape bed.....be very careful. If all you do is cut grass, I say the cab over is great for that but it is purpose built.

You also have to look at the cost of the cab over versus a truck and trailer combo.

The cab overs are for work only. Two of my cabovers do maintenance only. The other(19,500gvrw) is specifically used for hauling my dingo and a bobcat. I would much rather haul a bobcat on a truck than pull a trailer. It is very easy to load a skid loader into a cabover w/ landscape bed... you just have to have an attachment/bucket on the machine. I also have a one ton 12 ft dump flatbed(use it for estimates also)... so I have the best of both worlds. If you are looking for one set-up do everything efficiently you have to give somewhere.

mosmgras
04-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Cab-over and trailer!

My 5111 rides on a trailer so, on big account day, I have to pull a trailer behind my NPR.

Lawnworks
04-15-2007, 12:55 AM
There is one set-up that will do everything efficiently actually... except plow snow. It is a cabover w/ 12ft flatbed/dump and then has a 4' detachable dovetail.... this is probably the do everything truck.

mini14
04-15-2007, 06:56 AM
everyone situation is differnet,ive had mine cabover dump fir 7 years now, when i bought it i went from 120 a week in gas to $35 a week in diesel. so payment didnt hurt. box cabovers arent very expensive, when u get into dump bodies u start to spend more....i just like the versitility of my truck trailer combo, if it were strictly box body u are limited. but u could always tow a dump trailer.

LLandscaping
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
We have a Hino with a 16ft box with a 3ft dovetail. We carry two ztrs, 3 21's , a Little Wonder blower and handhelds. We also have an Isuzu Npr with a open body we use for both landscaping and to transport mowers. We also have two Chevy 2500hd we use for towing our track loader and other landscaping tasks.
The type of truck you need depends on what type of work you will be using it for. The box truck is limited to lawn maintenance where the open truck can be used for both. If you are going to be transporting a skid steer often you might need to go the truck and trailer route.