PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know?

Paul Andrews
07-31-2001, 05:49 PM
Does anybody know if John Deere is buying Wright Stander ? PLease tell me this is only a rumor and its not true . I think if Deere got a hold of them they would ruin the mowers by putting Deere all over them.

BerksLawn
07-31-2001, 07:38 PM
Im pretty sure that its only a rumor. Deere might not ruin the mower because they bought out Great Dane and the Great Dane mowers will still be the same next year and the Deeres wont.

Steve

GrassChopper
08-04-2001, 06:08 AM
John Deere does own Wright. They will not change the mowers to Deeres.

By the way, have you seen the new Wright Centar???

Awesome!!!!

Randy Scott
08-04-2001, 09:08 AM
I demoed a Sentar on one of my properties. If you have long legs like I do, 6'3, you will have trouble with your left leg constantly smacking the brake lever. Not fun, poor design there. It was hard to feel comfortable sitting on it. I felt like I was going to fly off the back at times, when you would bounce a little on rough ground the weight of my feet would come up off the pedals, thus causing the mower to cut in and out with the safety device on the pedals. I guess I would have to use it longer to maybe get used to it. but I just didn't care for it myself. I'm sure some will and it will have it's uses but most likely, not with me. Sorry it's a little off the original subject.

Wright Mfg
08-06-2001, 01:11 PM
GrassChopper- It's people like you that keep false rumors going. If you were repeating a rumor, that's one thing, but you say it as though you know it to be a fact. Where are you getting your false information?

The "Fact" is that Deere does NOT own Wright and never came close to owning Wright.
We are not for sale.

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 01:25 PM
Phew!!!

That was close!!!

Administrator
08-06-2001, 01:42 PM
Glad you stepped in Wright Mfg... I wish more companies cared to interact with the turf community.

Chuck Keough

GrassChopper
08-06-2001, 03:43 PM
Gee sorry Mr. Wright, I was told that when I bought my 2 Wright Standers. The owner of the John Deere dealership told me that.

Thanks for clarifying the issue Mr. Wright.

And thank you for being so nice to a guy who just spent over 10,000 dollars on your products.

Bill Wright
08-06-2001, 06:51 PM
On behalf of Wright Manufacturing I am sorry for the reaction that one of us here had to the rumor. In his defence, we constantly have a hard time dealing with the rumor mill but I think his answer was quite harsh. So on behalf of our organization, I'm sorry. We'll tone it down in the future. Wright Manufacturing, Inc. is indeed an independent company and intends to remain independent.
Take care and happy mowing,
Bill Wright

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 06:55 PM
Welcome to LS Bill.

Your reply is spoken as a businessman, and gentleman. I look forward to seeing your input on how your products can benefit our endeavors in the future.

Kris

guntruck
08-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Hello Bill (fellow marylander) , and welcome to lawnsite also. Its nice to see a manufacturer/owner get invloved a bit and share some thoughts and philosophies as well as different aspects and views of the industry. I look forward to your comments and or suggestions here at LS., this is the very best place to be heard!!

:D

Bill Wright
08-06-2001, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the great welcomes! I'm new here, but I'll see if I can both contribute and learn in some way as time goes on.
Bill

Paul Andrews
08-06-2001, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification Bill. I was planning on buying a 52 Wright Stander soon and I just wasn't sure if I was going to want to buy one if Deere had bought them out.

Although , where I live in Shawnee, Kansas ( near Kansas City ) I could only find one dealer that sells them. Can anybody help out to help me find ALL the dealerships in this area? I want to find the one that offers the best service.

HOMER
08-06-2001, 10:02 PM
Hey Paul,

Seems as if somebody actually knew!:blob2:

GrassChopper
08-06-2001, 10:30 PM
I apologize also to Bill Wright. I understand his position. I truly believed the information I was given was correct. Now is it true or not that Deere is trying to (or has) bought Great Dane? Is it true or not that Wright has the patent on the stander and that Dane has to pay a royalty on every mower they sell?

As for the Wright products, I still believe they are the finest mowers I have used. I have two and plan on buying a third in the near future, a 61". Maybe I will try the Centar.

Eric ELM
08-06-2001, 10:42 PM
Welcome to LawnSite, Bill Wright. As others have mentioned, it's good to see you get involved here at LawnSite. :)

It is amazing how rumors get going. Last fall the rumor was that John Deere bought Dixie Chopper and a DC dealer was supposed to be the one that told this member JD bought DC.

It was also a false rumor.

1stclasslawns
08-06-2001, 11:05 PM
Welcome Bill, As was said befor it is good to hear from a MFG.

Grasschopper, It Is true that JD acquired Great Dane, or at least that is what I have heard from the GD rep in my aera. But I also saw it in TURF, and there was a link on the JD website in the "news" place that the purches happened about Dec. 18 2000.

But that could be just an ugly rumer.

As Robert L.Ripley said Belive it or not..

Jim:rolleyes:

Bill Wright
08-07-2001, 12:44 AM
After 2 years of litigation in 1999 the court determined that Great Dane had been infringing some of our patents. Great Dane was then ordered by the court to pay us damages and to stop building the original Surfer. However, Great Dane was willing to pay us a paid-up, one-time fee for a "limited-field" license. This restricted license gives Great Dane and its qualified successors (potentially John Deere) the ability to build mowers under some of our patents but restricts the design. This is what has permitted Great Dane to build what became known as the "Super Surfer". Some of the restrictions are: the main handle bar is required to be more than a certain distance far forward of the zero tuning point, the fronts of the drive wheels must be more than a certain distance gapped behind the back of the cutter deck and the tail of the foot platform must be more than a certain distance ahead of the zero turning point. We are very happy with this outcome.

The other question was how to find out the names of all dealers in the Kansas City. We use regional distributors to set up our dealers and the name of our distributor for that part of the country is the Keen Edge Company: Tony Lapidus, Sales Manager (262) 749-8077. Dealers are being set up so fast that we can hardly keep up with the current list. We have gone from about 75 to nearly 400 in the past 18 months! Tony would have the latest on that area.
Bill Wright

Wright Mfg
08-07-2001, 10:31 AM
GrassChopper and fellow readers- Please accept my sincere apology for my earlier reply. I should not have reacted as I did to anyone (customer or not).

Jim Velke
Wright Manufacturing, Inc.

Kent Lawns
08-07-2001, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the insight, Bill.

That would help explain why GD quit building a decent product (Surfer) and began building a complete POS (Super Surfer)

Broke another frame (Replaced with the "new style" 4/23) yesterday on a Super Surfer (aka GD SS POS)

jcoat
08-07-2001, 11:39 AM
All,
I just want to state it's really great to be in an on-line forum community where there are manufacturers who sound genuinely interested and who follow critiques of postings from the end-user and what he/she has to say about their product. It speaks volumes about lawnsite and the community that has grown to include professionals and manufacturers.
To Wright: Thank you for showing interest and putting out the potential fires by being straight-up with the end-users.

fore
10-07-2003, 10:02 PM
what do these changes mean to the great dane in the outcome of the 99 suit that you explained in a post on 8/27/2001
does this make a diff in the mowers ? THANKS

Kingbman1
10-07-2003, 10:13 PM
John Deere kicks ---!

rookiemower
10-07-2003, 11:21 PM
hey jim velke are you a owner of wright also does your name go with the velke product

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-08-2003, 07:57 AM
If Wright is so concerned why did I never get a call back on a demo machine ????????????

Scraper
10-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX
If Wright is so concerned why did I never get a call back on a demo machine ????????????

That's a dealer/distributor issue, not a manufacturer issue.

Bill Wright
10-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by fore
what do these changes mean to the great dane in the outcome of the 99 suit that you explained in a post on 8/27/2001
does this make a diff in the mowers ? THANKS

Not sure what post that was, couldn't find anything on that exact date. Great Dane had to stop making their model called the Surfer but because of the limited field licence we granted them there were permitted to make what was called their Super Surfer. Basically the license required several dimensional limitations that led to the operator, the cutter deck and the engine being located farther forward of the zero turning axis than the Surfer had, which makes the newer mower more front heavy which results in less desireable performance on hills and less traction on the drive tires than the former machine.

MacLawnCo
10-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX

I will echo that.

mike9497
10-08-2003, 06:58 PM
i would like to demo one too,but there aren't any dealers in my area

lawn and stump
10-08-2003, 07:05 PM
I have had great results with Wright products I had a small problem with my Sentar and the dealer was great!

dvmcmrhp52
10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
Bill Wright,
It is great to see you responding to a recall of a 2 year old thread.
Good to see you here.

energy
12-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Mr. Wright, i have a question for you. How come you have not designed a 36" Sentar yet? I have two of your 36" Standers and love the quality of the machine, the only problem with it is the ability to change the height of cut. This was the only reason i looked into the Great Dane machine before my initial purchase because of the fact that they did have that quick change ability. Second question is that how has the sales of the larger Standers been affected since the introduction of the Sentar? I figure that if i was to buy a larger mower from you company, i would definetly consider the Sentar over the Stander. Keep the innovations coming.