PDA

View Full Version : Mower for tall person

scubaron
04-14-2007, 02:38 PM
I am 6'7" (2m) and looking to replace my (European) lawnmower with a front drive gas-powered mulching mower.

After visiting 6 stores and trying the Toro, Honda, Lawn Boy, Poulan, Husqvarna, Yard Man, Craftman, Cub Cadet and probably a few other brands I find that all mowers are about 4" too low for me to be comfortable.

Does anyone know of any tall-person lawnmowers or ways to extend or raise the handlebars?

khouse
04-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Try looking at some commercial zero turns. I think you will find one that fits you. Too bad the big and tall man store doesn't carry mowers!

MowerMedic77
04-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Is it imperative that you are sitting? Maybe a commercial hydro walk behind mower and stand on sulky would work better. I'm 6'3 so I can kind of relate, like Khouse stated the commercial riders will be a more comfortable ride, but that comfort will not come without a much larger price than a residential rider.

fixer67
04-14-2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.mbsolutionsinc.com/lawn.htm

Try this.

scubaron
04-14-2007, 11:38 PM
MowerMedic,
I am looking for a walk-behind mower, not a sitting mower.

The MBS system looks interesting, but I don't think it will work on a self-propelled mower as the controls are usually on the handlebar.
Scubaron

Bill Kapaun
04-15-2007, 01:03 AM
I know my older Honda Masters has some height adjustment on the handle mounting brackets. I had the mower about 10 years before I noticed that part in the owners manual!:)
I can't speak for any other brands or even any other Hondas.

Why front drive?

scubaron
04-15-2007, 01:12 AM
I have a lot of "obstacles" in my lawn and was told that front wheel drive is much easier to manouvre.

Bill Kapaun
04-15-2007, 01:29 AM
It's easier to maneuver, but "typically", the FD's tend to be low end mowers with short lived transmissions.