PDA

View Full Version : Dot ?

plantzpropertymanagement
04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Do I need to have dot stickers on my truck? I have a f150 and 61/2 X 12 ft trailer that i use to pull my mowers. I live in michigan right on the state line of indiana so I travel into indiana to work to. Some guy pulled me over today and was lecturing me about how I better get some dot stickers on my truck I did not know I had to have them I thought it was just for bigger trucks. I have my class b cdl and physical card already, im just not sure about the dot stickers?

d&rlawncare
04-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Do I need to have dot stickers on my truck? I have a f150 and 61/2 X 12 ft trailer that i use to pull my mowers. I live in michigan right on the state line of indiana so I travel into indiana to work to. Some guy pulled me over today and was lecturing me about how I better get some dot stickers on my truck I did not know I had to have them I thought it was just for bigger trucks. I have my class b cdl and physical card already, im just not sure about the dot stickers?

Yes you need your company name and dot# (not stickers) on both sides of your vehicle and/or trailer. MI law requires them to be above the bottom edge of your door.

bishoplandscape
04-14-2007, 07:11 PM
If its a commercial truck crossing state lines you will need one, but if you stay in Michigan no you don't need one. Your not heavy enough.:)

NMS0219
04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
you need the dot # regardless of weight because you carry haz. mat. ( anything more than 1 gal of gas they consider haz mat) Your excluded from over packings and shipping papers due to the MOTS rules. You also need 3 safety triangles, a 10bc fire extinguisher, and your med card.

bishoplandscape
04-14-2007, 08:08 PM
you need the dot # regardless of weight because you carry haz. mat. ( anything more than 1 gal of gas they consider haz mat) Your excluded from over packings and shipping papers due to the MOTS rules. You also need 3 safety triangles, a 10bc fire extinguisher, and your med card.

Only if you travel out of state.

plantzpropertymanagement
04-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info

NMS0219
04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Even if you stay in state (intrastate) you need everything I listed. They changed the law.

d&rlawncare
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
BISHOP- You do need a DOT number if your GCWR is over 10,000 pounds. So he will need one in MI regardless if he crosses state lines or not. You have until Jan 08 to apply and it will be enforced Jan 09. But it currently is a law.

Grassmechanic
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
d&r is correct. DOT # is needed for any vehicle and trailer in excess of 10,001 # in MI. It doesn't take much to exceed it. A 3/4 ton and a 2k trailer and you are over. I hope the state enforces it. I see MANY landscape (I'll use the term loosely) companies without them, especially the newbies that have flocked on to the scene lately.

robbo521
04-17-2007, 01:48 PM
man you all have some tuff laws.lets say you have a nice truck and trailer and you just load up to go cut moms yard and stuff do you all still have to have all that?

Grassmechanic
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
You do if you are in business and mom is paying you. BTW - most states follow some form of this DOT law thing. Ck with your's to make sure YOU are not in violation. Michigan is going to be cracking down on the enforcement (they found a new revenue stream).

razor1
04-17-2007, 05:08 PM

I have 3 questions......
Do you have signs on your truck?
How often do you travel on the highway?
What "guy" pulled you over?

This advice may go against the grain for some people, but I personally wouldn't get the DOT #s unless the Gov. demands it. I'm not saying to disobey the law but by your description, you may even be under 10,000gvw. If you're still worried about it, get the truck and trailer weighed. (and preferably not at a highway weigh station or by the State Police of course)

We had a 25,000 gvw truck for 10 years before they stopped us about not having DOT #s, and when they did, no ticket or fine. We now have DOT #s.

One of my local tractor dealers, who travels all over MD & VA. in a F350 dually & tandem axle trailer, still doesn't have DOT #s. Although he doesn't have any signs either.

How long before Uncle Sam starts charging annual DOT fees?

Shawns Lawns
04-17-2007, 08:52 PM
i just checked here and its over 26,000 lbs:waving:

plantzpropertymanagement
04-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes I do have signs and I dont ever travel on the highway. Sorry the guy didnt pull me over I was mowing and he pulled up in his car he said that he owned a lawn care co. and that there starting to crack down on the dot thing and that I need to get some stickers on my truck then he left and came back and said you are going to tie down those mowers right, this guy was getting kinda of annoying. Well of course im going to tie down my $15,000 worth of equipment. Then he started rambling on about that I need to get a bigger truck to haul my mowers cause my front brakes are going to go out. At this point I just said thanks for the info I need to get on to the next job.

NMS0219
04-17-2007, 11:25 PM
How many times do I have to say it. The FEDERAL law says that if you carry haz. Mat. you need the dot #, med card, and fire extinguisher. The FEDERAL govt defines more than 1 gal of gasoline as haz mat. The FEDERAL law applies to all states that get federal highway money. Guess what all states get federal highway money. The determing factor for getting dot numbers is no longer soley based on weight. It is now based on what the COMMERCIAL vehicle is used for and what it is carrying. By commercial I mean any vehicle that can/is used for monetary gain.

robbo521
04-18-2007, 12:22 AM
so your saying i have to get all that to carry my 2gal of gas and my pushmower in the back of my car,or the 5 gal of stain to do the deck with my friend is paying me.:dizzy:

robbo521
04-18-2007, 01:21 AM
where can i find the FEDERAL law,and state laws.i did a search and it brings all kind of junk up but cant find any thing on what your saying.

Focal Point Landscapes
04-18-2007, 01:34 AM
I stopped a DOT officer today and asked him what Georgia requires and he didn't have anything specific to this state - he said it basically follows federal law. In Ga. , if your GCVW is in excess of 10000 pounds , you need DOT # on both sides of the vehicle , hazard triangles , fire extinguisher , medical card , annual inspection form , log book , brakes on all axles of trailers , breakaway brake control on any trailer with brakes , no more than 6 gallons of gas ,fenders or mud flaps on all trailers ... I can't even remember all of the items he told me they will check - very troubling that they are focusing on landscapers and lcos - he said that he had stopped several that day. He also told me that for any situation that can be deemed unsafe , they would not allow you to move the rig until the problem was corrected . Also, if your GCVW is in excess of 26000 pounds - this is rating , even if you don't haul that much , you have to have a CDL - there is one type that does not require air brake certification (my trucks with the Dingo trailer exceed this rating). He said I would be ARRESTED if stopped under this violation. I almost wished I hadn't stopped and asked him , but ignorance of the law is no excuse . Georgia has added a bunch of additional officers this year and I suspect many other states are , too , since they don't get federal funds unless they adopt at least the federal guidelines. The problem is that there is much misunderstanding of the laws on the part of the state guys - I think we all better start paying close attention to this. Sorry for the novel.....

robbo521
04-18-2007, 01:40 AM
your post just hit me in the head!friend in the fire department is a state trooper and i will be next to him tomorrow cutting so i will find out some stuff.that i may not want to.everybodies yard i cut is family in some way down the road,i just get out and do good deeds!

Focal Point Landscapes
04-19-2007, 12:19 AM
I hate to admit it , but I am starting to plan my travel to jobsites and when possible haul a minimum of equipment on a single axle trailer pulled with my 1500 and no signage - obviously can't always do that , but I'm going to try to stay below the radar screen as much as practical until I can figure all of this mess out - just one more obstacle for those of us that are trying to run a legitimate operation.

d&rlawncare
04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
man you all have some tuff laws.lets say you have a nice truck and trailer and you just load up to go cut moms yard and stuff do you all still have to have all that?

No. Its always what your doing at the time of the stop. If you just going to Moms to mow then you would be fine. If your working commercially then yes.

Try to lie and I find out..PRICELESS. (for you):nono:

lawnman_scott
04-28-2007, 12:51 AM
What a jumbled mess these laws have turned out to be. DOT stickers for a pickup and trailer are a joke. And you have a 94 year old deaf and blind guy "driving" his 38 foot motorhome on down the road.

lawnman_scott
04-28-2007, 12:54 AM
How many times do I have to say it. The FEDERAL law says that if you carry haz. Mat. you need the dot #, med card, and fire extinguisher. The FEDERAL govt defines more than 1 gal of gasoline as haz mat. So at what point do you need the hasmat endorsement on your license?

NMS0219
04-28-2007, 05:48 PM
You need the hazmat endorsement if you carry more than 56 gal of gas or diesel fuel. You need a tanker endorsement if you have a hydro seeder bigger than 200 gal. I found that fact out friday when we got stoped by the dot.