PDA

View Full Version : Which Synthetic Oil ?

Mowman
07-31-2001, 08:07 PM
Which synthetic oil would you guy's suggest ? Mobil 1 or Amsoil ? I have both oils in my area. I just want to use the best one to get as many hours on my Kolher as possible.
Amsoil CLAIMS to reduce oil use in some engines. The Kolher uses maybe an oz. or two in a 100 hours. So which one should I put in her? Thanks for your advice.

Mowman

Alan
07-31-2001, 08:45 PM
First, an ounce or two in 100 hours of operation is negligible oil consumption, absolutely nothing to worry about.

As far as which synthetic, either is better than conventional oil. Be smart about it and use the extended drain intervals. I run amsoil and change once a season with a filter change at the half season mark. You can expect to see the engine run cooler and give slightly lower fuel consumption.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-31-2001, 09:05 PM
I have been running Amsoil in my trucks and have seen a diff.. They claim Up to 25000 mile intervals, But I dont' think that' s practical for what we put our trucks through. I have been changing at about 5K miles and the oil is still together. Using reg oil at 3K intervals I found it had broken down already. However I have not started using them in my machines yet. Probably next time I change oil and filters I will ..

John DiMartino
07-31-2001, 09:10 PM
Both are excellent oils,but I would go with the Amsoil,if I were you,they have much more viscositys available,and have been making synthetics a long time.They also claim to have better base stock,and better additives than the competition.

lawrence stone
07-31-2001, 09:28 PM
For four stroke engines I have have been using Havoline full synthetic ($3qt.) for about the last five years.

I change the oil and oil filter in the kohler twins once a year at the end of the season.

Cars and trucks run for 20K then they get a oil and filter change.

I still use dino oil (hd 30) in the small single cylinder briggs engines (kees aerator and powerrake). They don't run enough to benefit from synthetic.

EJK2352
08-01-2001, 12:29 AM
I have run both Mobil 1 & Amsoil with great success. I would recomend either one as they are both excellent synthetic oils. :) ED