PDA

View Full Version : mini rotors

JB926
04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I have been wanting to start using mini rotors for certain apps and want to know everyones opinion. What mini rotor do you like using best??

Remote Pigtails
04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Give a manufacturer and type of one for comparison purposes.

LCPullman
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
It doesn't seem like mini rotors are always as reliable as the big ones, but the Hunter PGJ is a good option. The Rainbird 3500 is also an option, but since it costs as much as the 5000, I think you would just use the 5000. The K-Rain Mini Pro is a less proven option.

bicmudpuppy
04-14-2007, 10:36 PM
The PGM was crap. The PGJ seems to be somewhat better. The RB 3500.........I haven't liked what little I have seen of them. Mini-rotors cost about what a full size rotor does and the failure rate is higher. The best option I have seen is the I-20 w/ the short range nozzle set. This isn't a good cost option compared to the others, but for reliable watering at these ranges, I don't think you can beat it.

SprinklerGuy
04-15-2007, 09:32 AM
I HATE to use a PGP or and I20 or for that matter a RB5000 to shoot 20feet or so....it irritates me.....I have no clue why.

Because of that, I use the PGJ and usually I am upset w/ the performance...is it just me, or do the nozzles not have the range according to the charts?

That being said, they are fairly reliable.....more so than the 3500 in my opinion, that POS, if you look at it wrong it breaks.....

Do you really use a regular rotor for 18-21 ranges?

londonrain
04-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I would use a MP Rotator over a mini rotor ....

SprinklerGuy
04-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I really need to install some of these.....I just haven't done it yet....

I wonder why Hunter hasn't jumped on the stream rotor bandwagon .....

1turfguy
04-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I HATE to use a PGP or and I20 or for that matter a RB5000 to shoot 20feet or so....it irritates me.....I have no clue why.

Because of that, I use the PGJ and usually I am upset w/ the performance...is it just me, or do the nozzles not have the range according to the charts?

That being said, they are fairly reliable.....more so than the 3500 in my opinion, that POS, if you look at it wrong it breaks.....

i too have found that the pgj charts are off. switched out pgj for pgp w/ low angle nozzles

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 10:42 AM

According to one of the product managers down at Hunter they're "working on it" but no timetable was given.

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 10:43 AM
I would use a MP Rotator over a mini rotor ....

That's what we're doing now. :)

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 10:49 AM

I too have found that the pgj charts are off.

I'm not impressed with the smaller nozzles that come with the PGJ. We'll put them in (in areas that are 100% PGM/PGJ already) for replacement purposes with a larger nozzle that performs real well and then knock it down a little. If you have the zone GPM and use the larger nozzles knocked down then you can adjust the amount of watering via the controller. We've then found that the zone works real well.

londonrain
04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
That's what we're doing now. :)
I have used the Mp rotators on a few commercial jobs in islands, around parking lots and the overspray is virtually none...plus the owners loved them..

Mike Leary
04-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I really need to install some of these.....I just haven't done it yet....

Hunter did try a stream-rotor years ago, called the type S, I believe.
Horrible failure! Had plastic arc disks instead of Ed's stainless. The suppliers
ate tons & the contractors (me) ate at the same table, so I would imagine
they are being VERY carefull in the new design. They also ate the PGM,
but the PGJ & the 3500 are pretty good medium range heads. I too have seen
I-20s & PGPs used in medium applications, with the nozzles screwed down!
Don't work, application is s..t. We only have three options for medium range
& the MP seems to be winning.

bicmudpuppy
04-15-2007, 06:25 PM

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/i20data.html

this is the link to the I-20 nozzle charts. At the bottom, you will see charts for 18' and 25' nozzles. These nozzles do work, and the head is reliable.

YardPro
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
i use the pgj and am less than thrilled with it...

we see a high failure rate and the radius is non adjustable... it it supposed to be, but screwing in the set screw does nothing to alter the distance of throw. as a matter of fact, screwing in the screw most of the time will thicken the stream and make it throw further.

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
we see a high failure rate and the radius is non adjustable... it it supposed to be, but screwing in the set screw does nothing to alter the distance of throw. as a matter of fact, screwing in the screw most of the time will thicken the stream and make it throw further.

There's a fine point on them between knocking the stream down a little and totally disrupting the throw. I've seen PGJs knocked down so much that the adjustment screw basically cuts the stream in half.