PDA

View Full Version : synthetic blend?

mike lane lawn care
04-15-2007, 12:32 AM
okay, so me and a buddy were talking today, he's got roughly 175,000 miles on his nissan maxima, and since day 1, the car has always had fully synthetic oil in it. he was saying that i should put synthetic into my nearly 100,000 miles GMC pickup when the time comes for an oil change. i explained to him that i was hessitant, as it has had conventional oil it from the beginning, and i was concerned that synthetic oil might clean out the seals too well, causing a leak.

but would puting a synthestic blend oil in there be okay? the best of of both worlds? i would like to have the properties of synthetic oil for towing, but am a little afraid to use fully synthetic this late in the game. what do you guys think?

thanks,
mike

mcwlandscaping
04-15-2007, 12:47 AM
My truck's fluids were changed right before I bought it mostly with conventional oil, i changed all fluids when i bought it just to be sure i knew what was in there and when it was actually changed. I use synthetics in EVERYTHING.

mini14
04-15-2007, 07:58 AM
if u are worried which u shouldnt be, do the blend for a few oil changes, before switching over to full synthetic.

Mark in MD
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
if u are worried which u shouldnt be, do the blend for a few oil changes, before switching over to full synthetic.I don't see how this is going to help. If the blended syn eventually cleans the engine to the point of uncovering leaks, the leaks will exist, and you can't easily undo it.

The engine has 100,000 miles on it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." < -- I think this might apply here. MHO