PDA

View Full Version : Mulch/Termites

Myk
04-15-2007, 03:16 AM
I'm mainly in lawn care but a buddy of mine was wanting some landscaping done mostly mulch. His house is tan brick so he was wanting to go with mulch in his beds around the house.

My question is does mulch around the house attract termites?

JKOOPERS
04-15-2007, 05:42 AM
depends on where it came from. most likely not though

supercuts
04-15-2007, 08:41 AM
ggod question, termites eat wood. quality mulch is the bi-product made from bark removed from lumber. termites dont eat the bark only the wood, so they shouldnt if its good quality mulch. we have free stuff here at the dump but it is simply ground brush/logs that will definately attract all kinds of insects and funguses. customers ask me for it from time to time and tell them only if its far from the house and at their own risk!

bohiaa
04-15-2007, 09:30 AM
highly likely:

termites porge.... there allways looking for food.
like DARICEK said. if you get it from the dump YES...

I have dumped branches and such that I kno had termites in them.
chances are high....

but remember termites MUST have water everyday. and sunlight will kill them.
they come up from the ground so bed's with mulch is perfect for them

tjsquickcuts
04-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Most home in my area have already been treated for termites, and have termite spikes all around the home. IMO, with all the color added to the Mulch, I personally dont think termites would survive the transition when the color is added. I can't begin to count how many times I have had to explain to customers that there shouldn't be a problem with Termites.

txgrassguy
04-15-2007, 01:35 PM
As the other posters have mentioned, good quality mulch ordinarily will not contain nor support termites.
I usually apply Termidor to the outside of a new property site when mulching for the first time - and the customer absolutely pays for this treatment.

JKOOPERS
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
during the making of the mulch one would think that with the temperature raising so high the termites wouldnt be able to survive.

bohiaa
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Most home in my area have already been treated for termites, and have termite spikes all around the home. IMO, with all the color added to the Mulch, I personally dont think termites would survive the transition when the color is added. I can't begin to count how many times I have had to explain to customers that there shouldn't be a problem with Termites.

these "termite Spikes" are detection only not to rid a structure of them....

main st
04-21-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm in zone 8/9 and yes, mulch (bark or chipped wood including cypress) will attract termites. I have seen them in all types except pinestraw which has the least amount of cellulose available for them. They are a serious problem here and formosans have begun to appear in our area. I have also seen them in garden soil mixes added for new landscape installations. I only use pinestraw and keep all plantings from contacting any part of a structure and never plant anything between the drip edge of the eave and the foundation.