PDA

View Full Version : Charge double?

Twister Turf Man
04-15-2007, 10:03 AM
How much extra should I charge a customer who waits till the grass gets out of control call and get it cut?

Raven386
04-15-2007, 10:04 AM
double whatever the regular cut was.

topsites
04-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Yup, charge at least double normal, and be ready to catch either a dirty or deer caught in the headlights look.
You might need to clarify this before you start, thou in my case I've been known to just do it and leave the bill lalala (thou if I do that, I base the price on how long it took +20% for wear and tear {and it's not always double but it's fair}).

GreenN'Clean
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
yes because it will take you twice as long to cut it,, time is money

txgrassguy
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Give the customer two prices.
The first one based upon the initial clean up cost and the second based upon maintaining the turf once it is in position to do so.
My personal estimation policy is at least three times the normal maintenance cost due to the excessive amount of work needed to correct the site.
The customer's lack of planning does not equal a price break for me.

JKOOPERS
04-15-2007, 01:51 PM
any new costumer i get i tell them the first is always higher than the rest due to the fact that i have to get the lawn into shape on the first cut.

Darrin A.
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
How much extra should I charge a customer who waits till the grass gets out of control call and get it cut?

If I read this correctly, your customer calls you when they think it needs to be done. If it is getting out of controll, charge them for a clean up every time, or tell them that they need to be on a schedule. You can tell them that it is getting harderto just "fit them in" when they call.
If this is for first time jobs (clean ups) then I agree with the above posts.

HOOLIE
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
My old boss would just charge by however far into the season we were. If it was our 5th week of mowing, and that lawn had yet to be cut, then the charge was 5 times the normal rate. This applied more to new clients. If this is a current client trying to call the shots, I'd tell them they must be on a schedule or it's not worth dealing with them.

ed2hess
04-15-2007, 06:02 PM
We never was successful in charging more than a small fee for tall grass. It always ended with customer upset and usually us upset also...so we just mow it to keep the customer. But we don't do any customers any more who are not paying us monthly year round and we decide when to cut the grass.

mow & snow
04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Tell the customer your new policy is to mow the lawn on a weekly basis only. It's time for you to control your business and not let the customer decide when the lawn gets mowed!

haybaler
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I love when new customers call last minute saying there mower broke and the grass is to tall. I charge 3 times normal mowing, especially since it's usually on a sunday. and I demand cash on the spot and I give them my card and say if there ever tired of mowing there own lawn call me and I can give them a reasonable seasonal rate.

johnnywill08
04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
current clientele should never get out of control, new guys charge per cut, minus trimming maybe if you only do it once but def. 80% + each cut.... respect what you do and the time you spend enough to get paid for it.

JRS Landscaping
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
i see how many times it should have been cut and multiply the price by how many times it should have been cut and then charge them for the extra grass disposal.... i really dont like cutting high grass

martinfan06
04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Always double what would normally be, a rule to live by:laugh: :laugh:

RICHIE K
04-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Doulble charge w/o thing twice !!!!!!!!!!!!

johnnywill08
04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
i chg dbl too, but some of the looks i get (like i'm a thief) make it almost not worth it... still learning how to get paid for ALL my time after 5 years. biz is so competitive, i freak about losing "good" accts....