PDA

View Full Version : MP rotators

SprinklerGuy
04-15-2007, 10:28 AM
My turn to drink the Koolaid

I'm wondering when and if Im going to get a chance to try these...I just did a bid for a backyard install..and he called to give me the ok to start this morning....

Hmmmmmm

It is a mix of 1 rotor zone and 1 spray zone....I have plenty of water...but it is fenced in, out of the wind...and a perfect candidate....I bid it with PGJ's and Popups....

I'm thinking of calling him and cutting the price a bit if he'll be my guinea pig.

I have some areas that I would use 18-20 foot spacings....and area of 9' spacing and some areas of 13-15 foot spacing...

What say you MP freaks?

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Just from experience with them I'd say the 18-20' spacings are perfect for the 2000s and the 13-15' spacings can be achieved by knocking down the 2000s a little. I'm not fond of knocking down the 2000s too much unless you have adequate pressure. They just don't look good (although they still work fine) when knocked down to their extreme. Your 9' areas would require the 1000s and I'd install them along the borders at 7-1/2' or 8' maximum spacings.

DanaMac
04-15-2007, 10:37 AM
How about I be your guinea pig? You come put a system in my yard using the MPs, and I don't pay a thing. How about that?

That system sounds like the perfect candidate for you. Only 2 zones, so if you or the customer don't like it, not much to change out.

londonrain
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a perfect job for a MP Rotator. We have high pressure in my area so I get 12'-15' out of a MP1000, 22'-24' out of a 2000, 30'-32' with a mp 3000 and corners I only get about 10' and it is a very flat stream and about 18' on the side strip which works very well....I hate mini rotors....MP Rotators cost me $5 each...plus 1800 body

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Seems like we're experiencing across the board that the MPRs work better with higher pressure regardless what the charts indicate.

bumper
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Just installed 32 mpr's front and backyard in combination of 1000's and 2000's. Might want to check to see if rebates are available, locally we are given $4.00 per nozzle over 15 purchased.

Still not sold on the MP just yet. I don't like using them where the yard is curvilinear but they work well on square and rectangle applications. Like Purp, I prefer knocking down the 2000 when reasonable to 16' or so. I have designed the layout around the mp for that reason vs standard nozzle applications.

Wind tends to move MPR's off intended target farily rapidly and consistently

Az Gardener
04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
My experience was the opposite. I installed my first Mp system about 4 years ago when they first came out in a pasture that would eventually be watered with flood irrigation. I needed a temporary system to get common Bermuda seed to germinate and established before we began flooding.

I just went with pattern to pattern coverage as it was a temporary system so my heads were 60ft apart. When I fired up the system the coverage was short about 5ft. So I called Ewing and they told me to turn down the flow control on my valve. As I got to the end of the stroke they began to throw farther and did reach the 30-32ft throw as advertised.

It seems to me I have about 18 half pattern nozzles on one valve. We did a huge area with 6-1" valves, very cost effective. We still use the system from time to time.

Mike Leary
04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Seems like we're experiencing across the board that the MPRs work better with higher pressure regardless what the charts indicate.

As with my favorites, the Stream-Rotors, the MPs DO like pressure!
50 psi is cool We put the MPs into service when they first came out, Walla
Walla sent us some to test. I had doubts also & designed the zones so I could
save my a.s if they failed: been using them ever since. They are susceptible
to windage, more so than most gear-drives because of the smaller stream.
Flush the lines more carefully than usual, as once they plug, their toast,
like a stream rotor nozzle. All and all, a great addition to our bag of tricks,
especially in re-dos!:cool2:

Remote Pigtails
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Well I took one of my zones and switched it to MP rotators. This was ten brass nozzles at 18' spacing. Running at 21.5 gpm. I used the 2000 series and the distance looks accurate. The zone is now running at 7.75 gpm. I changed my smartline on that zone from spray to .4" per hour. The RB rotaries run at about .65" per hour and you can really see the difference. The MPs also have a higher arc and move slower. The RBs are definitely more fun to watch. The pattern adjustment on the MP is nice because you don't have to buy so many types. The SS are terrible. I thought it was defective at first and tried another. Same spray. Too little on one side and too much on the other. It also sprays behind itself. Right now I'm sticking to the RBs. They cost a buck less and I think they will go over better with the customers.

I posted this on the Hunter ripoff thread. I did this Sat.

SprinklerGuy
04-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Well...I'm not sure I want to give him a break to be my guinea pig...

Lets see....I was going to have 6 rotors at 8 each...48 bucks
12 sprays at 2.60ish each for 32 bucks

Now I would have 18 mp rotators and heads at rougly 6.60 each for 118.8

It will actually cost me more to do it...I'll wait for the next bid.

BTW....I'm not cheap.....almost always the highest or 2nd highest bid, confirmed by all the clients this year...and I'm 6 for 6 selling jobs so far....

Must be that free winterizing I offer ;)

PurpHaze
04-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Well...I'm not sure I want to give him (Dana) a break to be my guinea pig...

But... didn't he help you out with plowing techniques? :p

SprinklerGuy
04-16-2007, 09:10 AM
First of all..you added Dana to my post when you quoted me...

Don't do that please....please edit again.

Second of all......I didn't mean him....I meant the client.

PurpHaze
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
First of all..you added Dana to my post when you quoted me...

Don't do that please....please edit again.

Sorry Tony but you should know that the "edit window" is only open for 10 minutes after a post is submitted. The correct way should have been brackets which is the perfectly proper way to indicate something in a quote that may need clarification. For using parentheses instead of brackets I'm truly sorry but I'll use brackets whenever it's deemed necessary. :)

Second of all......I didn't mean him....I meant the client.

One would be better understood if one would learn how to use quotes when posting a reply instead of just inserting a post 7 posts after the post you're referring to. One must then try to guess as to what and who the hell you're talking about. :laugh:

It was a misunderstanding because Dana's post mentioned Cavia cobaya and then your post mentioned Cavia cobaya also. :rolleyes:

MOlawnman
04-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Been using MP-Rotators since 2004 and love them.

Paradise Yard Service
05-13-2007, 11:33 PM
First, I just want to thank everyone for the great contribution made to this forum...I know it takes precious time away from your lives to share your storehouse of knowledge and real world experience. Thank you, thank you, thank you, (mahalo!)

O.K. could the MPRs work here? What models? We get the 'Delta Breeze' and it can be strong, but not too bad (up to 15mph).

Its 60ft to the tree and 15ft wide.

I will call the utilities Dept. to get an idea of the static psi from the street. I suppose its 40-50psi (we have no water meters in this part of Sacto). My 5 GAL. bucket test fills in 25 seconds...so my guess for household gpm is 12 from the 3/4" galv house pipe.

Also, do you have longer run times with MPRs over sprays...I think thats a dumb question so forgive me If I insulted your intelligence.

If it all comes together right can I expect to save water over the sprays?

I will get to the other parts of the prop with the Hunter PGPs or something. I'm doing this for my landlord at no charge....he's been so good to us since we moved from Hawaii.

Thanks for the help.

BTW how do I get my text centered properly in the box so you don't have to slide the bottom scroll to read this post? Did my picture throw it off?

Aloha

PurpHaze
05-14-2007, 07:33 AM
O.K. could the MPRs work here? What models? We get the 'Delta Breeze' and it can be strong, but not too bad (up to 15mph).

If they work here (3 hours south of you) they'll work fine in the Sacto area. I'd stick to the 2000s and 3000s if at all possible.

Its 60ft to the tree and 15ft wide.

The 2000s will work well in a 15' wide area. Can't quite understand what you're saying about the 60' to the tree though.

I will call the utilities Dept. to get an idea of the static psi from the street. I suppose its 40-50psi (we have no water meters in this part of Sacto). My 5 GAL. bucket test fills in 25 seconds...so my guess for household gpm is 12 from the 3/4" galv house pipe.

This is pretty typical in many parts of the valley and almost identical to my house. Increase your main line to 1" after connecting and you should be fine.

Also, do you have longer run times with MPRs over sprays...I think thats a dumb question so forgive me If I insulted your intelligence.

Yes... at first. You'll have less runoff and eventually you'll be able to cut back the run times just a little.

If it all comes together right can I expect to save water over the sprays?

I'm putting down about a third less water than I used to when I had all sprays in the front yard.

BTW how do I get my text centered properly in the box so you don't have to slide the bottom scroll to read this post? Did my picture throw it off?

It's dependent on attachments. The larger the picture the wider the requirement of the page to hold it.

Paradise Yard Service
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks Purple!

I will try to get it complete before the big valley heat!

Aloha