PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Zero Turn Any Opinions?

Joe2920
04-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I am looking at 52" 21HP Dixon ZTR I have never heard of the Brand but at 7K with a bagger I thought it was a great deal.... Any one use Dixon or know of any horror stories....

Thanks Joe

Jason Rose
04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, Dixon has been around a LONG time, they were one of the first ztr mowers out there. Actually the term "ZTR" is copyrighted to Dixon. Iv'e owned many Dixon mowers over the years, logged well over 6,000 hours on them. I have mixed opinions of them, but I have tried other brands (exmark, walker) and kept falling back to Dixon.

Dixon was bought out by Husqvarna last summer, and the mowers have been changed quite a bit from the designs that dixon had. The 52" deck was not standard in Dixon's line up, 50" was their "commercial mower" deck size for years and years. They are better decks that most here will give them credit for, but there was room for improvement. The 52" decks now are a bit deeper and still use the tunnel design. I have not been able to try a new 52" deck, our dealer does not believe in having demo mowers.

You will hear a LOT of horror stories on here, but take them with a grain of salt. Many poo poo dixon now, because of a dixon mower they had 15 years ago that was a POS. Talk to those that run the newer models now and you see a lot different opinion.

What model are you looking at? I wasn't aware of a 21 hp. model.... Is this a kodiak? Nevermind, I see that it IS a kodiak, with a Kawisaki engine. (good choice too)

Joe2920
04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I local shop just started carrying them.. it is a kodiak it appears that it will cost me and extra $3,000 for an exmark with bagging system just wondering if that $3,000 is worth it. When I called exmark the first thing they said about dixon was the decks are junk.. I sat on this one and it looks to be built just as tought as my gravely... thanks for the input..

VT_K9
04-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a locate dealer who sells Dixon. I started with their 42" ZTR. It it a rugged mower. My only complaint was it would not hold relatively steep slops (not sure which ZTR does). I ended up getting a w/b (huslter hydro) to deal with steep slopes and wet areas (my belt w/b would not work well in the wet).

I would consider a larger Dixon ZTR w/bagger when the bank account will allow.

Mike

Landscape_Chaser
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm curious as to how your Dixon experience went? Did you purchase one or go with another brand?

White Gardens
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Holy Old Thread Revival Batman!

retrodog
08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Its funny how dealers dog other brands. The Dixon deck is where it stands out, the deck handles grass really well. It is called a tunnel force. The deck is shallow on the closed end, and then opens up gradually to the chute, very well designed deck cuts good in every condition. I used to be a Dixon dealer, and once Huskavarna took over, they were very hard to deal with. Changed up all the part numbers, discontinued tons of the older model's parts, basically made it a hassle for us. I was the only dealer in 50 miles, and when I didn't buy mowers from them, they cut me off ordering parts. The only option these people have is to order from someone online like jackssmallengine with an average 3 week turn around, or drive to durant ok which is an hour and a half from here, it sucks because dixon is so strong here, seems like everyone I know owned a dixon.

lifetree
10-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm curious as to how your Dixon experience went? Did you purchase one or go with another brand?

The guy that originally asked the question probably isn't even around anymore !!