PDA

View Full Version : ACC Pedestal Conversion

PurpHaze
04-15-2007, 11:59 AM
We've come up with a mini conversion project that will kill two birds with one stone. The now original controller is an Irritrol MC-24-Plus-B installed inside a Rainmaster cabinet (Rainmaster was the original controller installed 35 years ago when the system was put in). Five zones were added close to the controller location and an Irritrol MC-12-Plus-B controller set on the side of the cabinet to handle the new areas where relocatable buildings were removed. This was contracted out and the new controller was never supplied with power.

Our plan is to remove the existing cabinet and controllers and start from scratch by installing a Hunter ACC controller (with enough modules to handle all stations) inside a plastic pedestal. Here's a few pictures and I'll post more as we get into this project.

The pedestal is on backorder through Ewing but we should have it by the end of the week.

PurpHaze
04-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Got the ACC and plastic pedestal from Ewing on Friday and got the chance to look at it up close and personal. Hopefully we'll have the time sometime this week to install it.

Here's some pics.

Mike Leary
04-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Other than the money, I miss wiring big clocks!

sheshovel
04-30-2007, 07:30 PM
WoW!! How cool is that!!!
I love that, so pretty and neat and all those stations available to add when needed. do you bolt it into the cement? Or what? Do you think it can handle the intense heat inside there?

sheshovel
04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Purp? I would for sure pour a small slab for that or put it up on flat 16"X16" step stones or something. Frame a little slab up and redicrete.

mikecaldwell1204
04-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Purp how do you get to always play with the cool stuff???

PurpHaze
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Other than the money, I miss wiring big clocks!

Pedestal and basic 12 station clock comes it at around $1600 including tax. Add three 6-station modules to bring it up to 30 stations and the grand total was around $2200. Still only about $300 more than an Irritrol MC Plus of comparable stations without any pedestal for the Irritrol. We'll also gain a 24 station and an 8 station Irritrol that can be used somewhere else in the district. :)

PurpHaze
04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
WoW!! How cool is that!!!
I love that, so pretty and neat and all those stations available to add when needed. do you bolt it into the cement? Or what? Do you think it can handle the intense heat inside there?

Frame a little slab up and redicrete.

It will be mounted on an existing concrete slab where the original controller is setting in the first picture of the thread (under all the dirt and crap after that's cleaned up by the site groundsman). We'll use Redheads or similar concrete anchors to fasten it down securely. It comes with a heavy metal template that also acts as a securing device.

PurpHaze
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Purp how do you get to always play with the cool stuff???

Because I can. :laugh:

Seriously, I have a boss that is easy to please when it comes to good equipment at a fair, comparable price. He likes it so well that he's going to put a change order in on two new elementary schools (currently in final design) that would have had two Irritrols with their metal pedestals installed and replace them with this single unit.

My biggest problem was that I didn't know quite how to order it. I was under the impression that you just bought an ACC and it slipped into the plastic pedestal. (This is what you do with the metal pedestal that is available for the ACC.) However, the whole thing is purchased as a unit. Basically the ACC face plate and internal door unit sits in the top and the internal components sit on the frame beneath. Once I had it figured out our local Hunter rep had it to us quickly through Ewing.

The Smart Port is located on the back side of the internal frame with plenty of room for the ICR receiver to be permanently mounted. We'll eventually purchase an extra ICR receiver and then permanently mount it inside this unit.

I had already purchased a separate ACC in anticipation for the plastic pedestal but since we didn't need it was installed on a high school varsity baseball field this morning as their old Irritrol MC-Plus went out. Age of the Irritrol was such (1992) that it wasn't even worth shipping it out for repairs. And the Hunter ACC with an extra module to bring it up to the 18 stations I needed ended up being about $200 less than a replacement Irritrol.

PurpHaze
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Began the conversion project today and got the bulk of it done. We found out that the main wire conduit does not run outside the concrete area. Therefore, I'll have to run conduit across the top of the concrete and into the side of the ACC pedestal tomorrow for the seven zones that have been added since the original install 30 years ago.

PurpHaze
05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Finally finished the project.

PurpHaze
05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Last pictures. Project finished, wiring tested and controller programmed. Everything's up and running.

Mike Leary
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Nice..poster boy...did you train a "you" when you retire?

PurpHaze
05-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Nice..poster boy...did you train a "you" when you retire?

Leo (in one of the previous pictures with the sawz-all) is very conscientious also and likes things looking good. He may not have the technical experience and education I have but he'll do a decent job.

PurpHaze
05-03-2007, 11:11 PM
BTW... Almost forgot to thank our local Hunter rep, Sam Perez, for securing the unit so fast. Apparently these are a hot item for commercial applications and hard to get ahold of right now. Hunter's supposed to gear up production of more of them because they're gaining popularity in the commercial world. Without his help we might still be waiting to install the unit. :clapping:

sheshovel
05-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Purp, tell Leo that She said he did a real nice job on that. Looks really good.
Only one thing...he needs to get ALL the soil from under the fence out of there, and grade it away from the slab.
There is a back panel that goes on the bottom of that right? I am sure there is.

PurpHaze
05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Only one thing...he needs to get ALL the soil from under the fence out of there, and grade it away from the slab.

Impossible. The entire slab area actually is lower than the surrounding areas. There's an amphitheater on the one side.