PDA

View Full Version : Mounting help

Pro-Scapes
04-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey guys and gals...hope everyones weekend was well.

Got a new client and they want some cast deck lights mounted to a dry stacked wall. The wall is about 6 ft high then capped off with a brick topper. Unfortunatly to get the effect we want the lights would need to be mounted directly to the walls and not the brick. I have open accsess to the back of the wall to run wires and it just so happens the trans is post mounted behind the wall.

Have any of you mounted lights to a wall light this... Its similar to flag stone and just stacked. Little wiggle room to get wires in but hanging the lights has me baffled.

NightScenes
04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Billy, sometimes you might have to drill a hole into the fixture to get a good mount on an uneven dry stack wall. Then of course you drill through to run your wires. It's a little tricky but can be done. It's really hard to get all of the lights at the same height and distance apart.

Pro-Scapes
04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
but what type of hardware are you using to attach it to the wall. are you drilling one of the stones out and inserting an anchor ? I considered fabbing a stainless L bracket type thing to slip in the rocks maybe a dab of epoxy or something then mounting the fixture to that.

Dreams To Designs
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Billy,

Try Tapcon screws with using Paul's method of drilling through the fixture. These come in many different sizes and work great. I have used them in concrete, brick, stone and mortar joints as well as pavers and segmental retaining walls.

You should be able to get Tapcons at Lowes, Home Depot and local hardware stores.

Kirk

Pro-Scapes
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
will check it out. In the morning I will be spending a few minutes in the fab shop. I am going to fabricate some L bracket type mounts out of stainless I can shim into the wall then use some stainless steel hardware to attach the light to the bracket.

What do the tapcons look like. Im not concerned with drilling the bronze fixture thats easy. I am concerned with drilling these stainless mounts tho. Will try to prefab them at the shop with the plasma torch and post pics tmrw of them then again when the lights are installed. There should be enough room to tap these thru the first row then bend them over on the back side to keep em tight since the back of the wall is not exposed to a seen area.

will definatly look into both your methods mentioned. Thanks guys!!!

eskerlite
04-18-2007, 05:25 PM
You drill two 3/16 holes in the stone and put an expandable plastic insert and then a stainless screw. Re drill the back of the fixture if you have to to align for the stone. Then a 3/8 hammer drill 24" bit right through the wall to the other side.
Do it all the time with Nightscape postliters.
Sean C.

Pro-Scapes
04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks sean. I made a slip in insert out of stainless. Will get some pics when I install it and try it. Should be a press fit when done. The stones pretty angular for the plastic anchors but will try.

Pro-Scapes
05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
the brackets I made didnt work to hot on this one. We ended up mounting them a bit higher. I need to go back and kinda shim the bottom out a bit with some stainless washers. Looks very nice and you cant see any wire.

I did end up using the plastic anchors and stinless screws. Had to redrill fixture mounting holes. Thanks to all for the help. They just would not go solidly where they wanted them. The flag stone was too thin