PDA

View Full Version : k2500 drum to disc brake conversion

mcwlandscaping
04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Is there such thing made out in the market today? Ive seen them for k1500 but that won't give me the braking power i could potentially need! Has anyone done this or know where a kit is available for it?

DBL
04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
do you have drum all the way around?

Sydenstricker Landscaping
04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Look for a 99 up 2500 new body style, as they have disk brakes on the rear axle. Maybe find one on ebay being parted out or a wrecked one in a salvage yard. I dont know of a kit per say, but that is all I know of. It should bolt right up, since GM really hasnt changed the 14 bolt rear since 1973!!! My 2000 2500 has disk brakes in the rear, and the stopping with my trailer on is way better than drum brakes. Good luck!!:waving: :)

mcwlandscaping
04-15-2007, 04:43 PM
do you have drum all the way around?
just in the back

TLS
04-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Best thing you can do is have a brake job done and replace all brake parts. Not just the shoes. Have the drum turned and make sure you grease all wear points. Also make sure they are adjusted up well.

Rear drums in these 3/4-1T trucks work VERY well when they are kept it top shape.

Also look into an adjustable proportioning valve. My Father had braking issues with his 3/4 Ton Suburban. Dealer replaced the proportioning valve and it made a night and day difference.

mcwlandscaping
04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I have no complaints whatsoever on the drums so far, they work great, i just know that when the time comes to have to work on them, its more of a pita than disks!

Gravel Rat
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
The 14bolt full floater has the good brake drums I think they run a 3x13 shoes. Drum brakes are okay if every part is in top shape and the brakes are adjusted. If you have out of adjusted brakes and poor quality brake linings drum brakes don't stop worth crap.

Having 4 wheel disk brakes is the way to go. You should have hydroboost if you want rear disks. A vacuum assist isn't quite strong enough to operate 4 wheel disk brakes.

If your going to do the swap try find a good donor vehical to get the parts from. The cheapest option thou is put the best parts you can into your drum brake set up.

South Florida Lawns
07-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah there are a bunch of companies out there. my buddy just did a conversion to a corp 14 bolt rear axle in his jeep using bluetorch fabworks conversion kit.