PDA

View Full Version : Renting vs Buying Equipment

echeandia
04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I have had a few jobs were I needed to rent equipment. So far I have rented a bed edger, sod cutter, and a tiller. At what point did you decide to buy a particular piece of equipment rather than to keep on renting? The bed edger is at the top of my list right now as it most jobs require some type of edging.

cks dad
04-15-2007, 04:03 PM
How much did you pay to rent a bed edger?

echeandia
04-15-2007, 06:43 PM
How much did you pay to rent a bed edger?

$55 for 4 hrs. He also has it available for $75 for 24 hrs.

mow2nd
04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
if you're going to use it everyday, then YES buy it, if you're only going to use it everyother month, RENT.

blueridge1
04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
$55 dollars for 4 hrs seems i little high to me.

topsites
04-16-2007, 10:11 AM
It depends a lot on the price of the equipment, but as a rule 3+ rentals / year = buy it.
That may sound a bit stiff, but with the time involved it adds out fast, there's an easy hour (if not 2) involved in going to rent one, and one day they're flat out of what you need, or there's a line of ppl ahead of you, too many variables add even more fun.

A stupid stick edger's around 250 or so, it may take a little longer than the nice ones on wheels, but again by the time you consider the effort involved in having to go rent one, it adds out real fast. This would likely be my first purchase, the edger is one of the more versatile tools.

With a tiller it gets trickier, you really want a rear tine front engine one, bigger is better, consider finding a used one unless you use these a lot, I think I paid 1000 for my Troy bilt (it's one of the biggest in walk behind models), I hardly use it thou lol, I'm more into core aeration.

A sod cutter I'm not familiar with, but say once we get into big money one has to think a little bit about it all.

One great bonus about renting is having the opportunity to try before you buy, that part I like a lot.

johnnywill08
04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
rent it until you can pay afford to pay cash for the machine, that's what i do.

fiveoboy01
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
It depends, if I have to rent it and I can cover the cost of the rental and make a little profit on top of that, then I won't buy it until I'm going to use it enough to justify the machine(whatever it is) paying for itself over the course of a couple years. If it won't pay for itself, then I'd rather rent it. I don't have to maintain it and I don't have to worry about it breaking.

lawnpro724
04-16-2007, 10:24 PM
If your going to be doing alot of landscapes where a bed edger is going to get alot of use on a regular basis the go out and buy one. If your not going to be using it all the time then just rent as needed. I would buy a good rear tine tiller and a good slit seeder before I would buy a bed edger. I use the tiller alot and a good slit seeder is a must have if your in this busn. The tiller and slit seeder get alot of use when we put in lawns and do reno's.

johnnywill08
04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
If your going to be doing alot of landscapes where a bed edger is going to get alot of use on a regular basis the go out and buy one. If your not going to be using it all the time then just rent as needed. I would buy a good rear tine tiller and a good slit seeder before I would buy a bed edger. I use the tiller alot and a good slit seeder is a must have if your in this busn. The tiller and slit seeder get alot of use when we put in lawns and do reno's.

which seeder do you use??? and how are you charging? by the lb, by time?