PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms

Duncan IN
07-31-2001, 11:40 PM
Just got in the uniforms today for the business. I have to say they look really good. The are Charcoal grey work pants with Light gray button up work shirt with Name and Business name. Hope this will help with getting commercial accounts. Plus I am tried of wearing out my regular clothes. The work clothes I got were from Aramark and they cost only 15 for pants and 15 for shirt with Embroidery. Can't beat it! I will have to get a digital pic so I can show eveyone.
:D

MATTHEW
08-01-2001, 03:45 PM
That type of uniform definately looks mor professional, but I wore a uniform like that for 10 years and I could not wait to get out of it! The material is uncomfortable on a 12 hr day in the 90 degree temps. (for the summer) I prefer shorts and a cotton shirt. I have the type that is like a t-shirt, but with a collar that makes it like a golf shirt. The Logo is on the top left and looks rather good. I pay about $8.00 for these.

dhicks
08-01-2001, 09:57 PM
I bought some light weight pants from Weargard and they are good quality. I bought because I was tired of having my legs ate up by my string trimmer. Full lenght pains were too hot and I'm back to wearing shorts. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now when I trim, I put on the W.E. Chaps I bought at Expo.

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 05:06 PM
I'm a little bit in doubt on what to get for more uniforms. We are using t-shirts like the second picture with logo and #, but I am considering the work shirt picture with just the company name embroidered. I know the work shirt will look better in the long run (wear better...t-shirts are getting run down looking), but am I losing advertising since the work shirt has only the name and not the huge logo on the back with #? If I decide with the work shirt I will not have it embroidered with the logo or screen printed. Just embroidered name on pocket. Suggestions...
http://www.wearguard.com/jpegs/10069.jpghttp://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=155995

1MajorTom
08-19-2001, 06:05 PM
I don't think it is so much the phone number, but the idea of getting your name out there and letting people get familiar with it.

So it would be better to have your name somewhat larger than to worry about a phone number.

Just say you are in the mall. An older lady that is looking to have her grass cut sees the back of your shirt. I just don't see her keeping up with you, pulling out a pencil and paper and scribbling down your phone number. She will either approach you, or remember your name which is much easier to remember than a phone number, and then she will look your name up in the phone book.

I think shirts are good way to get your name recognized. The name is the effective part of the advertising, the phone number is really secondary.

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 06:27 PM
These shirts that I am talking about will only be for workwear, so you wouldn't see us wearing them in a mall. Our embroidered polo-shirts are worn outside of work and estimates.

1MajorTom
08-19-2001, 06:38 PM
So then what's the debate with the phone number?

If you are working, you will either be working for one of your customers who already has your phone number, or you will be in your work truck which probably already has the phone number on it.

So where does the phone number come into play? What am I missing here?

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 07:09 PM
I am not debating the phone number...it is the style of the shirt.

The workshirt will not have the large logo on back as the t-shirt does. So my question is will I be losing advertising going with the workshirt with just the embroidered name versus the t-shirt that has the phone number and large logo on back?

I was just describing the shirts(since the pic doesn't actually show the #)...phone number was not the debate.

1MajorTom
08-19-2001, 07:20 PM
I'm trying to think up a scenerio of how you would be losing work
because you wouldn't have the large logo and number. That's why I came up wih the mall idea. That's the only idea I could think of where your truck wouldn't be around.

If you are at work, isn't your truck always parked in front of the jobsite. Do you think somone driving down the road would be more apt to squint to see the large logo on your back, or would they just look at your truck?

I'm seriously just trying to figure out what position you would be in where not having a large logo and number on the back of your shirt could cost you a job?
If you are only wearing these shirts at work, then your truck with the magnetic signs is always around right?

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 07:26 PM
Your right. The only time I can think of is when we eat out at lunch, but the truck is still outside. Do you think the workshirts are more professional or do you think they are pretty much the same?

1MajorTom
08-19-2001, 07:43 PM
I don't know.. I really like your t-shirts. I think they look pretty good to me. Plus I just think they would be more comfortable.

You already have your polo shirts for estimates, so I think sticking with the t-shirts is fine.

skipwatson
08-19-2001, 07:50 PM
I think the t-shirts look better, too. Even though they wear out fast, they gotta be a heckuva lot cheaper than the work shirts, not to mention more comfortable.

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 08:02 PM
When you add up set-up charges for screen printing they end up about the same in price. Plus there is no minimum order with the workshirts.

skipwatson
08-19-2001, 08:09 PM
I made up iron-on transfers for t-shirts on the computer and they came out really pretty good. The transfers won't last as long as the professionally done ones, but you can't beat the price.

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 08:17 PM
Well we had our t-shirts for about 5 months and we are ready for new ones. So that is definitely not in our interest. The workshirts would last alot longer. I still really don't know. Price is really not an issue.

1MajorTom
08-19-2001, 08:35 PM
What isn't holding up on the t-shirts?

We ordered t-shirts this year and not to brag or anything, but they still look brand new. But they are not white. They are ash gray with green lettering. And I wash them inside out, so the lettering still looks great.

If the white is causing you a problem, maybe you could go with another color? Maybe gray? White looks really sharp, but I can see them becoming a problem as far as cleanliness.
Would you consider gray with your logo? It still would look good I think.

Just throwing ideas around.

LoneStarLawn
08-19-2001, 10:03 PM
Yes it is the whiteness that is losing it. Should be 15 months not 5...sorry.

Hoosier Mower
08-19-2001, 10:14 PM
I like the t-shirt look over the work shirts because they're more comfortable espically on the really humid days. I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap places on the net to order business shirts without having to buy like 20 at a time? Please let me know. Thanks

scottt
08-19-2001, 10:30 PM
I also suggest using a color other than white. I have royal blue t-shirts. They attract attention and still look like they did at the beginning of the season.

Mowingman
08-19-2001, 10:54 PM
I think button-up, short- sleeve uniform shirts look a lot more professional than t-shirts. I have had bad luck with t-shirts fading here in the hot sun. Also, the uniform shirts have collars that keep the hot sun off our necks. I am using khaki shirts as that color is cooler than green, ( which is really my preference).
A good source for all types of uniform clothing is a company called " Cintas". They have many styles of shirts and pants, will supply logos, and do embroidery. They will ship orders anywhere.Their Ph. no. is 800-786-4367. Their website is
www.cintas.com.

MowersAhead
08-19-2001, 11:59 PM
Somtimes Its really hard to look neat and professional with the type of work we do, And when it comes to uniforms We tried several different things before we found A lightweight coverall to work out pretty good. They can be worn in place of regular clothes and stay neat on the body all day. I know this may sound hot. But its much cooler than regular clothes, becuse they breath well.
I guess a t-shirt and shorts would be cooler,
but we would get eaten alive down here in the south.

I Recently found a great place to order online,
I ordered 10 custom embroidered coveralls,
and they were shipped out the next day.
theres no minumum
Coveralls run around 23.00 a peice,
Embroidery 15.00 for full back
front (ithink) was 3.95

This is the best place Ive delt with on-line, although my relationship with them has been short.

You can find the coveralls and site at
http://www.theriversedge2000.net/p700.html

HBFOXJr
08-20-2001, 07:52 AM
We supply hats, Carhart jacket, hooded sweat and short & long sleeve shirts.

The hooded sweats are Lee double something, heavy, wear & look good.

We love Anvil brand shirts, RN38619. Collared, 99% cotton with pocket. ABout 9 0z. fabric. Wears well and soaks up the sweat. Super comfortable in hot weather.

Our source is a local company that does all kinds of specialty and promotional stuff like umbrellas, tote bags etc. in addition to uniforms. They do our hats and sweats plus embroidered the Carharts we bring in.

Stay away from the 50% cotton, 50% poly stuff. It's hot and the guys hate it.

Since we are only looking for ID, our company name is embroidered on the upper left chest with no phone or personal name.

Uniforms are only loaned and must be returned at the end of the season or employment.

roscioli
08-20-2001, 09:12 AM
I have a couple of questions for you guys... I am only in my 2nd year, and don't have uniforms at all, just a plain white t-shirt and tan shorts. I have been thinking about cotton t's, either white or gray. My company color is red, but my truck isn't even the color, so I am not too worried about matching yet. Just can't justify the $1500 for a paint job. So, those of you who wear white shirts, don't they get stained quickly? I dirty my shirts faster than I wear them out, and if they are going to start having my name on them, I am worried about the image. I would think that in 5 months time my shirts would be so dirty that they would be rags. How long do your shirts usually last you folks?
Backwoods- From seaching on the net for a while, I have found that local companies in my area are almost always cheaper and easier to deal with. Although I still haven't ordered any, they are always more friendly than email! I think maybe with today's rain, I will go order some today. -Mike

HBFOXJr
08-20-2001, 10:09 AM
I don't think white is appropriate for sweaty, dirty, outdoor work even if it is a cooler color to wear.

We buy ash grey (light) and may switch to light tan. Want the tan so I can go from green hats to tan and be cooler.

Company colors are green, yellow and black on white trucks. I'm for people comfort and practicality not a total fashion statement.

taz72373
08-20-2001, 06:40 PM
Well I had lots of calls off of my shirts and most of the people said they saw me in the mall or in wal-mart. As far as color mine are ash(lite gray) and they are 50%cotton 50% poly and I don't burn up in those. If any one complains of heat in cotton poly mix they need to find a new job inside.

johnhenry
08-20-2001, 11:38 PM
Hi LoneStar
great tee shirt. I would stick with the tee shirt or go with a polo shirt with the same artwork that you have on your tees now.I have tees and a few polo shirts.The tee are real great in hot weather but the polo hold up better we have found.We tried the workshirt but it seem heavier and showed sweat stains alot easier.Just my two cents

Duncan IN
01-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Well here it is looks a little dirty, but it is clean. I think that is from the shadows.

I really like my uniforms, I have a gray top with charcoal grey work pants. I have 30$ in each set Only bought 5 for me and 3 each for my help. I have had many compliments on them and I believe it helps my business. I wear a white T-shirt underneath and I rarely had a problem with sweat stains and I sweat bad two. I thought it would be able to see the sweat but it's not.

I ordered them from Aramark. The business name and business cards is the only advertising I do and I have more work than I can handle.

HBFOXJr
01-17-2002, 07:56 PM
We like pullover shirts from Anvil (manf), #38619. Collar, 3 button, 99% cotton, very hvy weight and durable. Wear like iron and look good if you put them on a hanger out of the dryer. Hvy weight soaks up sweat and adds to comfort. Ours or "ash", light gray in color. Teens of $ embroidered I believe and worth it for looks, wear AND comfort.

I think we use a real hvy double weave??? hooded sweat from Lee and Carhart jackets. All are embroidered by a local company.

Pants or shorts are on the employee, we just tell them denim or khaki, blue or green.

GreenStar
01-17-2002, 09:29 PM
i use cintas cotton/poly pants. they re really comfortable unless it's 100 degrees out. i use cotton/polly white shirts they are similar to polo shirts. all together it's less than $20 a complete uniform. i am trying to find hats right now i want the style that sits low on your head. all i can find is the hillbilly crap that sit's way up in the front oh yeah there plastic net. lol

keifer
01-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Hey duncan at 15 a pop what was the set up cost and how many did you have to order.

Duncan IN
01-17-2002, 09:49 PM
I paid 15 for the shirt and 15 for pants. Embroidery is included in that price on that shirt. I think it is worth buying uniforms. Some people complain about how hot they are, i don't think they are. There are alot of other Business other than lawncare that wear them. They are nice I think. Pair of jeans cost almost the price of a full uniform

shawn'slawns
01-18-2002, 10:48 PM
Just can't justify the $1500 for a paint job.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND AS ALWAYS TOOK THE TRUCK TO MACCO. $470.00 COMPLETE COLOR CHANGE ON MY F-250 FROM SILVER TO A FACTORY FORD PERFORMANCE RED! INCLUDED DOOR JAMBS AND UNDER HOOD. I SWEAR BY THEIR WORK AND HAVE EVEN RESTORED OLDER CARS AND WON SHOWS WITH THEIR PAINT JOBS. THIS IS A PACKAGE THAT INCLUDED AN INTERGRATED CLEAR COAT. THE ONLY SUGGESTION I HAVE IS DO YOUR OWN BODY WORK CAUSE THAT IS WHERE THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY$$$

cos
01-18-2002, 10:59 PM
I think the work shirt looks more professional. The t-shirt would do you justice by wearing outside of work with a pair of jeans.

gogetter
01-19-2002, 10:18 AM
That's a great idea cos. Keep a couple of those white T's crisp and clean and wear them out and about.
Hmmm, might look into that for myself.

carlriv
01-19-2002, 10:34 AM
I have t-shirts for everyone, and a couple of polo shirts for me. The T's are 4 different colors, all mutted earth tones or "stone washed" look. The guys dont look exactly the same on the job, but that is what I want. Everyone looks clean, neat, and nobody has to wear the same thing everyday. Not that I need to make a fashion statement but I wore the same brown shirt and olive shorts for 5 years and I hated it.