PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding plow type

deere615
04-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I have a Chevy 2003 silverado 4x4 4.8 V8 is this an ok truck for plowing. I wont have many accounts next winter probably 1 commercial account and a few residential accounts. My truck has a snow plow prep package(stronger front springs, bigger alternator etc.) What would be the best plow? I was leaning towards Western and Meyer. Any opinions or ideas?

mattfromNY
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
The best thing I could tell you is to ask around your area for the supplier with the best service. We have vendors here that sell all brands, but we have a local guy that will drop what he's doing, whether its 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning to come and fix your plow problem. He could sell any brand out there, and I'd still buy from him! Luckily, I haven't had any major issues, but I know of one pump that got changed at 3 in the morning this winter. Saved a bunch of down time, kept the guy going, and kept his customers happy!
That said, I have a Western Pro Ultra Mount, and I love it!

mcwlandscaping
04-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I swear by fisher plows myself

supercuts
04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
it would certainly help to know if yoru truck is a 1500 or 2500 HD. i run meyers, they are perfect except the pumps are fairly weak. i have a spare pump for 2 plows. if you have a 1500, fishers may be a bit heavy for it but not bad plows. go for the best deal and how close your dealers are.

grassmanak
04-15-2007, 10:20 PM
i would assume he has a 1500 because of the 4.8, but i dont think you can get a snow plow prep on a half ton truck, so im confused. Id look at the blizzard 760 for a 1500. I ran one this past year with zero problems on about 20 residentials and 5 commercials accounts. The plow weighs like 550lbs so it saves a few pounds over most other companies.

Mark in MD
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Welcome to www.plowsite.com

deere615
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
it would certainly help to know if yoru truck is a 1500 or 2500 HD. i run meyers, they are perfect except the pumps are fairly weak. i have a spare pump for 2 plows. if you have a 1500, fishers may be a bit heavy for it but not bad plows. go for the best deal and how close your dealers are.

Thats good too know I always heard bad things about Meyers but I always liked them. There are some Meyer dealers around me, I'll check them out. And yes it is a 1500 sorry

dozerman21
04-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Like grassmanak said, I don't think you can get a snow plow prep on a half ton.:confused:

I have a Boss V that I've been very happy with, but it's too heavy for a half ton. I had a Meyer 7 1/2 ft. straight blade that I used on 2 different trucks, and I had 0 problems with it. Dealer support is and working hours are very important, or at least know of a hydraulic/hose shop that will get you running if you're to break down.

You should be able to get a descent deal on a plow this time of the year.

grassmanak
04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
you will need timbrens, dont worry about cranking up your torsion bars, its not needed, it just leeds to other problems. i would look into the blizzard, mainly because of the weight issue.

Rizzo
04-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Yes, you can get snow plow prep packages on 1/2 ton trucks...

TGM
04-18-2007, 12:36 PM
fisher plow all the way.

i ran a boss v plow this winter and it sucked!

J&R Landscaping
04-19-2007, 11:08 AM
I like Western plows a lot but the big problem for me is there are not many dealers around me that sell them. There are a few Fisher dealers in the aera and they are several Meyer dealers in the area as well.

I really dont like the meyer plows much but I wouldnt rule them out. I drove for another guy this winter and ran his 9'6" Fisher MC plow on an F450. It worked nice and the truck handled it well. I like the ease of mounting and de-mounting the fisher and western plows. Even the MDII meyers seem like they take to long but then again I have never actually done on myself.

For your truck, I'd look into a Fisher LD or a Western mid-weight plow. Meyer makes some small blades as well, the st7.0 or st 7.5 should work good for that truck.

Uranus
04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
If I had a chance to do it over again I would make sure I bought a plow with a back drag edge. I got a 8 ft fisher hd Minute mount. Plows great but back drags like CRAP.

I would stick with western or fisher. If you go with a myers expect to have the fluid freeze up on you and replacing A and B valves. The poly plows are nice but I've had to run back to the shop to many times with myers.

Western would be my first choice.