PDA

View Full Version : Heart Issues,,,,,,,damn

TSG
04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
He Folks
This is going to be the new career and just found out I am looking at Heart Surgery,,,,and I may have to make "life changes"
The issue is the blood thinners .
My question is, how many of you are doinf this with valve replacements
or similar things.
I was going solo or little help,,,looks like I may be management only
Thanks
Alan

bohiaa
04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
sorry to hear this..... at the current I have no health issues however I'm 45 and I know I cant last forever...
take care of your self man.... let the younger guys do the work and you manage ........
this could be a blessing after all

bigtex
04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey Tsg, Sorry To Hear That. I've Been Cutting Lawns For 9 Years Now And Am Startin To Have (mad) Leg Pain. I Went To The Dr. And She Said Some Peoples Legs Just Dont Last As Long As Others (ohwell). I'm Startin To Think, Now, About Gettin Out Of This Biz. Its Hard To Do This Work And (not) Get Involved In The Phsyical Labor Aspect. Theres Other Ways To Make $ (i Hope) Good Luck Bro!

tann3100
04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
What valve are they replacing? which side of the heart? I dont see that there would be a problem with you doing some riding now as far as doing something that is real stressful then yes I would say stay away from it. But I would follow up with my doc I just dont see where riding a mower would be that bad for you and even some light physical work just dont over do it.

TSG
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm 47 and there going to do the Aorta and the valve
the real issue is the Cumadin (sp),,,,I may elect for a Non mechanical valve to avoid it,,,if that is the case,,,,the buisnees model should work,,,,if not
looks like I will be riding and managing.
Life's a choice
Thanks for the well wishes

tann3100
04-15-2007, 05:41 PM
At your age I would probally go with a mechanical valve just considering hte life span of the artificial valves. Also I think within the next few years you will see some alternatives to coumadin that will allow for a better alternative unfortunately in your situation the coumadin/warfarin is the way to go. I wish you the best of luck if there is questions that I might be able to anwser feel free to ask.

robbo521
04-15-2007, 05:51 PM
have 2 stents and lots of things done and i was 33 when it all hit me.got tons of heart problems.heart doc told me to get out and do more!heart stuff is not the end of the world now a days.

TSG
04-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks
I know if I don't go artificial I will have to have it done in 8-10 yrs.
I Hope your a heart DR and not an auto mechanic
: )
Alan

Eakern & Dog
04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
the real issue is the Cumadin (sp),,,,

I was on this for a while when I was ill and you really do have to watch yourself with it with it being a blood thinner. If you cut yourself bad enough it can be an issue.They can give you emergency fluids of potassium to counteract the thinning agent of this, but I would not want to be in a major accident or have a large wound while on this stuff. I would hire a side-kick and be careful when you are working out and about.

Oh, also make sure you get your "levels" checked regularly for dosage adjustments.At one time, I was over prescribed and I ended up in the emergency room with legs cramps from hell and awful back pain. They told me this happens a lot with blood thinners.

JohnL
04-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a bicuspid aorta valve. So at age 50, the topic is of great interest to me since I might be looking at valve replacement in the future. Here's a recent article on stem cell research growing heart valves. http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2048062,00.html

tann3100
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks
I know if I don't go artificial I will have to have it done in 8-10 yrs.
I Hope your a heart DR and not an auto mechanic
: )
Alan

LOL wish I was a heart doc but I do work on a ambulance and have had plenty of dealings with heart related incidents and people on coumadin. Well actually I work full time as a firefighter and part tiem on the ambo unit as that just doesnt float my boat. As eakern said there are ways to combat the coumadin if something was to happen as hanging LRS which is a volume expander to keep the blood pressure up. The main thing is to take it slow at first at least for the first six months stay active but not at a full pace like a freight train. After the first six months work yourself back into action although you wont be able to do everything you once done you will be able to accomplish alot. As another member said its not the end of the world it just slows you down a bit.

Good luck anything that I might be able to anwser let me know.

tann3100
04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I was on this for a while when I was ill and you really do have to watch yourself with it with it being a blood thinner. If you cut yourself bad enough it can be an issue.They can give you emergency fluids of potassium to counteract the thinning agent of this, but I would not want to be in a major accident or have a large wound while on this stuff. I would hire a side-kick and be careful when you are working out and about.

Oh, also make sure you get your "levels" checked regularly for dosage adjustments.At one time, I was over prescribed and I ended up in the emergency room with legs cramps from hell and awful back pain. They told me this happens a lot with blood thinners.

Your suppose to have your blood drawn every month to check your levels be sure to stay up on this to prevent problems.

causalitist
04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I have a bicuspid aorta valve. So at age 50, the topic is of great interest to me since I might be looking at valve replacement in the future. Here's a recent article on stem cell research growing heart valves. http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2048062,00.html

see, look at this, and to think our president blocked funding of this research on religious grounds.

you would think helping millions of people stay healthy and happy is what religious people would want to do.

its a shame.

Roger
04-15-2007, 09:27 PM
The UK article is interesting. However, it says nothing about embryonic stem cells. However, it does talk about stems cells from the recipient, which would not mean the cells are embryonic, rather adult.

TSG, wishing you well.

rodneyskip
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
I had a heart procedure done about 3 years ago and they also discovered that I have a "mitral valve regurgitation" (leaky valve).

The procedure I had was catheter ablation because of atrial fibrillation. After my 30 day check-up the doctor told me I did not need to come back any more.
He did however give me a card to carry and if I go to the dentist or have any surgery I have to take antibiotics first.

I am only 37.