PDA

View Full Version : irrigation service call

ashs inc
04-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey guys let me tell you first of all how much i have learned from you all. Thanks for all your help.

I am getting killed with irrigation service calls. Thats a good thing. I go on most of the calls and fix the problem. I try to replace the part with the same part. Hunter valve then try to replace with hunter valve. I am getting so busy and I dont have all the parts i need I replaced a hunter valve where a rain bird was messed up. Is this ok. What do you do when you run into this problem.

NEIL

DanaMac
04-15-2007, 04:39 PM
There is absolutely no way you can carry every part available by every manufacturer. For the most part on residential systems, you can interchange parts from different manufacturers and everything should work fine. Replacing a Rainbird valve, controller, or head with a Hunter, Irritrol or (gasp!!) Toro is usually fine. Or vice/versa with any others.

Once you get into larger commercial parts, you really need to read up on the specs to see how well they match up.

Mike Leary
04-15-2007, 05:04 PM
You have to decide if they're going to be a on-going client...then you change-
out the valves, clock & heads so it suites your service truck. We never carried
any parts on the trucks other than Weather-Matic & Rain-Bird. Our choice?
No way can you carry everything; know your market and pander to it.

londonrain
04-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey guys let me tell you first of all how much i have learned from you all. Thanks for all your help.

I am getting killed with irrigation service calls. Thats a good thing. I go on most of the calls and fix the problem. I try to replace the part with the same part. Hunter valve then try to replace with hunter valve. I am getting so busy and I dont have all the parts i need I replaced a hunter valve where a rain bird was messed up. Is this ok. What do you do when you run into this problem.

NEIL

I have done enough service in my area I know what has been put in the ground over the years. Heads are no big deal but when it comes to valves, it sure is easier if you stock the replacement parts. Diaphragm's and solenoids for most valves, dv-100's, Hardie/irritrol/richdel 205's, 2400, Rain Bird/HR1 diaphragms and new replacement tops since they fail in my area after about 12-15 years, Toro 252's and new style Hunter solenoids, etc, etc, etc.....I stock about 5-10 of each solenoids and diaphragms...If the bottom of a valve is cracked then I replace it with a Hunter valve and the Controller of choice is a Pro-C.... Know your service area and stock accordingly...

Mike Leary
04-15-2007, 05:38 PM
How the sam hell do you guys crack the bottom of valves? It's got to be lack of air-compressor
winterize....right? London must have a eighteen wheeler service truck w/double trailers.

DanaMac
04-15-2007, 05:43 PM
How the sam hell do you guys crack the bottom of valves? It's got to be lack of air-compressor
winterize....right?

High pressure or freezing.

Bigred350
04-15-2007, 05:55 PM
We only carry rain bird stuff on our trucks. If its broke no matter what brand then a Rain Bird goes back in its place. 95% of whats around here is rainbird anyway.

ashs inc
04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
great thanks for your help guys

londonrain
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
High pressure or freezing.
I replace about 10 valves a year from a hairline crack on the bottoms, mostly dv100's, Nelson 7900 series and toro 250's...
I have seen only a few 2400's crack but never a 205.

I figure the MA has been tightened to much or stress on the valve from improper installation causes the hairline cracks.

DanaMac
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I replace about 10 valves a year from a hairline crack on the bottoms, mostly dv100's, Nelson 7900 series and toro 250's...
I have seen only a few 2400's crack but never a 205.

I figure the MA has been tightened to much or stress on the valve from improper installation causes the hairline cracks.

I had forgotten about the MAs. Seen that do it also. i've seen just about every kind of valve crack. Not many Hunters, but I don't have many customers with Hunter valves.

londonrain
04-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I had forgotten about the MAs. Seen that do it also. i've seen just about every kind of valve crack. Not many Hunters, but I don't have many customers with Hunter valves.I also think stress on the valve can also cause a crack because I have seen a Toro Valve that the HomeDepot sold that used Female Adaptors also crack...

Mike Leary
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Back to instructing the install crews ( you?) about . using teflon tape vs.
rector-seal "hand tighten & 1/4" tighter" Too much teflon can crack the joint, as can
"cowboying" overtightening the m.p.t. I would'nt let apprentices use teflon, in fact, why
use it?

Midlo Snow Maker
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM

NEIL

put what ever you want in the ground

londonrain
04-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Pics of valves and repair parts I stock...

bicmudpuppy
04-16-2007, 12:41 AM
What and how much inventory you carry is a personal/company decision. Yes, it is easier to stock the truck with brand x and be done, but is it efficient? If you know your market, how much space do diaphrams really take up? Solenoids? Maybe even one complete valve of each type you consistently see. I wouldn't want to be in a service truck that didn't have a couple of DV's, a couple of 2400's, atleast one silver bullet, a 252, and a couple of hunter 1" valves. You then STOCK for full valve replacement whatever your company has decided is "your" valve. If you can get $30 for a new valve, you can get $15 for the diaphram, $20 for the solenoid, and $10 for the bonnet. (always do a "top end" if you can and charge for each part) It will take you 15 min to top end most 1" valves. Your going to spend an hour replacing a valve body. Do the MATH. The name of the game is bottom line and making money.

Remote Pigtails
04-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Pics of valves and repair parts I stock...

I see you've got a few 2400s without solenoids. We run into the same issue. It pains me but after a while I ditch them. I used to be able to get "the Richdel solenoid" for 7.50 but now it is about as cheap to buy the whole valve.

SprinklerGuy
04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Don't forget the cracks on the 204/205 valves from the idiot cranking down on the screws to stop the leak ;)

PurpHaze
04-16-2007, 08:25 AM
The key to the whole "stock items" issue is that you will eventually know what you need to carry and in what quantities in pretty short order. Then you can restock your truck based on this information and make adjustments along the way based on what has been historically installed in your service area. You'll end up with some parts that you'll never use or on such a rare occasion that you won't even stock them any longer because they just take up space. Other parts you will go through at a pretty steady rate and you'll want to maintain a certain stock level. This must then be balanced with accessibility of parts from your suppliers. Some items may require ordering while others are readily available. You'll learn to decipher what is really important. Stay organized and routinely go through your parts supply list so you don't get caught shorthanded and you'll be OK.

irrig8r
04-17-2007, 10:56 PM
I see you've got a few 2400s without solenoids. We run into the same issue. It pains me but after a while I ditch them. I used to be able to get "the Richdel solenoid" for 7.50 but now it is about as cheap to buy the whole valve.

You can get the solenoids with black leads that don't have the Irritrol name on them and don't have the captured plunger doohickey... last time I picked up a 4-pack at HD (November) it ended up as $5.00 apiece..

Looks like Irrigation Direct has the same ones...for as low as $4.00 ea. if you buy 50, $5.00 ea. for 10. (Their DFV version of the WM Silver Bullet uses these solenoids... an improvement if you ask me.)

I've used these solenoids (from HD) on the Hydro Rain/ Hardie/ Irritrol "Century" series valves.. careful on the brass threaded base on the Hydro Rains.. easy to cross thread...

Remote Pigtails
04-17-2007, 11:46 PM
You can get the solenoids with black leads that don't have the Irritrol name on them and don't have the captured plunger doohickey... last time I picked up a 4-pack at HD (November) it ended up as $5.00 apiece..

Looks like Irrigation Direct has the same ones...for as low as $4.00 ea. if you buy 50, $5.00 ea. for 10. (Their DFV version of the WM Silver Bullet uses these solenoids... an improvement if you ask me.)

I've used these solenoids (from HD) on the Hydro Rain/ Hardie/ Irritrol "Century" series valves.. careful on the brass threaded base on the Hydro Rains.. easy to cross thread...

i don't know about going to HD to buy solenoids. That Orbit wireless rain sensor they sold so cheap. I refused to buy it mainly for warranty reasons and supply house loyalty. well the batteries are going dead in them real fast. Explains why they were so cheap. It's always something with HD stuff. I'll stick to my supply houses.

LCPullman
04-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Around here, I stock what I install, 2400 valves, K-Rain and Hunter heads and I keep a few Rainbird 5004s around (its easier to just swap out the inside than to replace the whole unit) as well as a few DVs. If a controller needs replacing I just put in one of my Hunter units. Any residential valve other than a 2400 or DV gets a new valve. With poly pipe on the lateral end, I can just cut the valve off the manifold and put a union in with the new valve.