PDA

View Full Version : Shapening blades

turbo5560
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
I use to have my mower blades sharpened at the local toro dealer but they charged a lot and then raised their prices even more. So i bought a bench grinder and have been doing it ever sense. But i don't know if i am doing it the correct way or not. They never cut as good when i sharpen them verse the toro dealer. Does anyone know what is the best way to sharpen blades? Is there any websites that may have some examples, instructions or something? I'm not sure exactly what i am looking for in this post. But maybe someone can help me out.

cks dad
04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
You need to make sure that when you sharpen your blades you keep them balanced.If you dont they wont cut evenly.

ChadsLawn
04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Use a hand held grinder..

Vikings
04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I used a bench grinder and a angle grinder and I much prefer the bench grinder.

They come out sharp, easy to balance and it only takes a couple minutes. It's true they might not always look as pretty as a $500 machine doing it but with practice it's ok I think.

barnard
04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
You need to make sure that when you sharpen your blades you keep them balanced.If you dont they wont cut evenly.
Balance or lack of it will NOT affect the cut . I t will affect the vibration level of the machine and bearing life to a degree.the best is a real blade grinder, absent one just sharpen to the same approximate angle the blade had when new. and sharpen often keeping the blade tip square.(as opposed to rounded)

turbo5560
04-16-2007, 08:51 AM
what brand has a good blade grinder? any certain kind?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Magna matic is what we use at the shop .

cnymowing
04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
when using the bench grinder make sure the wheel is spinning towards the fin of the blade... this keeps the edge of the blade from "rolling over" it is kind of like sharpening a fish hook if you are familiar with that.

topsites
04-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Make sure, after you sharpen the top, to zing along the bottom as well, give it that knife edge, simply pass it along the wheel once kinda quickly, ziiiiing :)

Prestige-Lawncare
04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Make sure, after you sharpen the top, to zing along the bottom as well, give it that knife edge, simply pass it along the wheel once kinda quickly, ziiiiing :)

I like that ... "ziiiiing". And I agree!

:weightlifter: