PDA

View Full Version : Plant,tree and shrub books or software

TazLandscapes
04-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I am getting into planting trees,plants and shrubery this year and i am looking for either software or books that identify all the mentioned above..I know of that Pro Landscape software that is out there but it is expensive for me right know.So Any help is appreciated..

Thanks
Mike DiBiase

PaperCutter
04-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Can't go wrong with Horticopia for software. The full version isn't cheap, but it's a great resource and you can do some nice presentations for clients with it.

Dave

mattfromNY
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Look on Amazon or E-bay for books by Michael Dirr. He has some great reference books for woody lanscape plants.

TazLandscapes
04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey PaperCutter
Do you know where i can find HorticopiaIs it like at staples or office depot or is it on the web..

Thanks
Mike DiBiase

:dancing:

PaperCutter
04-16-2007, 09:01 AM
www.horticopia.com

We bought ours direct from them

Dave

Dreams To Designs
04-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Horticopia is an excellent program for plant information and presentation. In my design business, Horticopia is something I use all day every day. You will be best to go with the XE Professional version and the additional portfolios. You will also need a good library lead by Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" and the picture book that goes with it. Alan Armitage also has authored some good books on perennials and annuals that will be a great help. If you do any work with ornamental grasses, Rick Darke's book, "The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses" is a must have.

Kirk

PaperCutter
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
You can save some money by joining the Architects & Designers Book Club (look it up on Google). There are some good discounts, they don't kill you on shipping, and it's easy to meet your minimum. The bonus points are also good for free books. Basically, every time you see what you think is a good resource pick it up. Used bookstores are good, because most plant info doesn't get obsolete.