PDA

View Full Version : Online filter source

gorrell
08-01-2001, 10:34 AM
I just registered yesterday with www.filter1.com and have found a very reasonable source for quality wix filters. In my situation the Kohler oil filter that fits most 20-25 hp engines is $4.90 with free shipping. Registering is simple and free of course. This same filter cost me over $10 at O'Reilly's. For your information............Lynn

gorrell
08-01-2001, 11:43 AM
Tried to edit my original message but didn't make it under the 30 min. deadline, anyway, DC hydro filters are $4.53 from this site. They are $9.27 from J-Thomas..............Lynn

WREBELMACHINE
08-28-2001, 07:01 PM
GUYS
we buy factory kohler part number 52-050-02 filters from our local dealer for $4.00 each.
You might check out your dealer and see what he has to offer!
If not I can give you the name of mine!

Albemarle Lawn
08-28-2001, 07:15 PM
Could you please share your dealer info with us? I have to buy a Kohler 26 EFI complete engine. If your dealer charges $4.00 for filters, then maybe he will be a good source for me to buy an engine.

Ken

AltaLawnCare
08-28-2001, 10:07 PM
I just switched to wix for my Kawasalis. Both the 15 Air cooled and 18 water cooled take the same one Wix 51394 - i paid 3.96 each for 'em.;)

Many mechanics have told me that wix are good filters also.

Runner
08-28-2001, 11:51 PM
Ken,
Not meaning to be nosey or anything, but how did you get in a predicament of having to buy a new 26 EFI motor? :confused:

Albemarle Lawn
08-29-2001, 01:12 AM
My '99 Gravely 260Z has a Kohler 25 and it is starting to get tired.

No oil consumption, but after new plugs and checking the carb it still feel nothing like it did just 200 hours ago. I think it is losing altitude, FAST. Total time since new, about 1500 hours.

The 26 EFI is similar to the 25. I'm hoping I can buy one and retain the same starter, electric clutch, etc. and basically do a bolt-in swap (Versus replacing the 25 with another 25).

Ken

HOMER
08-29-2001, 07:56 AM
My dealer charges $28.00 each for the hydro filters!

Car Quest is my source for oil filters, they are made by Wix for CQ. I pay 3 summinerother for em..............dealer want's $10.00+ for the oil filters too.

Can't deal with a dealer:cry:

weve
08-29-2001, 08:10 AM
Homer,

Does it cost that much to ship those hydro filters to Alabama? My old Dixie dealer charged about $21 per filter but the new dealer charges only $11.54 per filter and the spring open house discount makes it $10.39.

WREBELMACHINE
08-29-2001, 04:19 PM
Guys

I don't know if I am alloud to tell my dealers name in this column but he is easy to find. Go to the D/C website and dial in zip code 65802 in springfield mo.!

By the way you might check on your hydro filters also!
He is very reasonable!

And as far as engines I could not answer you.

Tony
08-29-2001, 06:34 PM
Spend over $ 5000.00 on a mower and buy a $ 4.00 wix Filter??? I don't blame anyone for shopping around for a good deal but Please try to use orginal OEM Filters. I know a guy who bought a no-name air filter and put it in a Kubota Engine and dusted the engine because the filter had a bad seal. I worked as a rep for the manufactuer of the equipment and I could not help the fellow out. It cost him $2500 for $ 10.00 he saved. The brand of filter is one that I thought would have been a reliable source, so don't accept a replacement filter unless you are sure of its specs. My 2 cents. Tony

AltaLawnCare
08-30-2001, 09:12 AM
I'm no filter expert, by no means. But I'm betting no manufaturer makes their own filter.

I've had two mehanics tell me that Wix are the best filters, this is why I bought them - not the price.

I just put a new fuel filter in my truck. I decided to try a wix in that. I had been using Fleetguard (used by Cummins).

The Wix was the exact,exact same filter. Down to the shrunk wrapped rubber gasket. The Fleetguard has "Fleetguard" stamped in it, that the only difference. Both are stratapore, and have made in the USA stamped on them at the same place. The Wix was half the price of the Fleetguard.

Wix probably makes Fleetguard.

John DiMartino
08-30-2001, 04:31 PM
I use wix filters,whenever they are cheaper tha OEM's.I feel they are great filters,and have never,ever had a problem in 11 yrs of use,and I go spin on at least 150 filters a year,from them.I paid 22 bucks each from Dixie for their hydro filters,what a rip off.

Tony
09-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Here's a good look at aftermarket filters. I think if you look at this info on filters you'll find some good ones to use. Also this study will show you which filters to stay away from. Tony

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/minimopar/oilfilters.html#recommended

Guido
09-01-2001, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the link, it will help out a lot being over here in Germany. I don't trust a lot of their products (and don't like their prices!!!) that are made "special" for us Americans over here. They know they got us by the seats of our pants. (The part of Germany I'm in is the largest population of americans in one area outside of the US)

Anyway, thanks!

Tony - I used to work for my Uncle's Garage who used strictly Wix for filters (air, oil, fuel, etc) and we got to talk with their rep a lot. They make the filters for most of the other guys and small engine manufacturers. Why pay for a name???

WIX is a quality filter!

jkelton
11-25-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare
I'm no filter expert, by no means. But I'm betting no manufaturer makes their own filter.

I've had two mehanics tell me that Wix are the best filters, this is why I bought them - not the price.

I just put a new fuel filter in my truck. I decided to try a wix in that. I had been using Fleetguard (used by Cummins).

The Wix was the exact,exact same filter. Down to the shrunk wrapped rubber gasket. The Fleetguard has "Fleetguard" stamped in it, that the only difference. Both are stratapore, and have made in the USA stamped on them at the same place. The Wix was half the price of the Fleetguard.

Wix probably makes Fleetguard.

I can tell you for a fact that Wix probably does not make that FF for Fleetguard (I am currently - for another week - a product development engineer for Fleetguard). Since Fleetguard is wholly owned be Cummins, more than likely the filter is Fleetguard made. Also, Stratapore is a Fleetguard patented media that is only used by Fleetguard - if the Wix filter has the Stratapore name on the filter, then Fleetguard makes this for them.

As far manufacturers not making many of their own filters, you are correct. I see many different manufacturers name go down the line in the plant when they are running (Wix, Fram, AC Delco, John Deere, Racor, etc.). Fleetguard also buys many filters from other companies and they are painted and silkscreened with Fleetguard's logo.

We have tested and compared many filters from other manufacturers - I can tell you that the quality and performance of Fleetguard filters are by far the best in the industry. After looking at a lot of field service data and comparisons with other filters over the past few months, Fleetguard filters do have a slight disadvantage in the service life for the same media area (shorter time before plugging), but often this is because Fleetguard- designed filters are much more efficient in removing small particles and water (if the filter is a water separator also).

Don't mean to run this down you - I just know the engineers personally behind these filters and the work that these guys put in the product.

strickdad
11-25-2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Tony
Spend over $ 5000.00 on a mower and buy a $ 4.00 wix Filter??? I don't blame anyone for shopping around for a good deal but Please try to use orginal OEM Filters. I know a guy who bought a no-name air filter and put it in a Kubota Engine and dusted the engine because the filter had a bad seal. I worked as a rep for the manufactuer of the equipment and I could not help the fellow out. It cost him $2500 for $ 10.00 he saved. The brand of filter is one that I thought would have been a reliable source, so don't accept a replacement filter unless you are sure of its specs. My 2 cents. Tony you dont really think a oem such as briggs, kohler or kawasaki makes oil filters do you?????? the truth is wix makes many filters for many engine oems as well as others..

odin
11-25-2001, 09:08 PM
Even though they are much higher i use amsoil filter also there oil.
Got in the dealers club for twenty dollars a year it gets below retail costs

AltaLawnCare
11-25-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by jkelton
Don't mean to run this down you - I just know the engineers personally behind these filters and the work that these guys put in the product.

O.K.
So Fleetguard makes Wix,..... That makes me feel even better by saving money buying my wix filters. ;)

Tell your buddies to keep up the good work, I'm planning on running my Cummins for a long time.

Carry on, jkelton...

accuratelawn
11-25-2001, 11:41 PM
Wrebelmachine
Alex sells filters that cheap??

Mowman
11-26-2001, 09:17 AM
So does Kolher mfg. their own oil filters? Or does wix, or fram or some other company make them, paint them black and put Kolher on them? Can anyone answer this question? I've been using NAPA Gold Filters for years without any PROBLEMS. They are made by WIX for NAPA. In a servey on this site I believe that the WIX filter came in at # 1 or # 2. How much better than that can you get? A failed seal can happen in a fram,wix,kolher or any other oil filter that is mfg. Just my thoughts.
Can't see paying 2-3 times the cost just to have it say Kolher on the side.

JMHO
Mowman

jkelton
11-26-2001, 10:06 AM
I seriously doubt that Kohler makes their own filters. It is very expensive to set up a line to run just a few types of filters. I looked up in my database at Fleetguard to see who makes the 5205002 Kohler filter for us (Fleetguard #LF3335)- a company called Champion Laboratories. I would be willing to bet that this company makes this filter for all the other companies as well (114 cross references to other filters per my database search). When one filter company can setup an run this filter constantly, the cost of the filter becomes very inexpensive to make. This particuliar filter is probably used in many different applications - even a "not so well known" filter company as Fleetguard sells 3500/month of this particuliar filter.

WREBELMACHINE
11-26-2001, 04:08 PM
accurate lawn

YES! ALEX does sell filters that cheap!
I personnally think that this is one of the many reasons that he sells so much product!

trimmer
11-26-2001, 05:19 PM
32,000 dollar truck, 4.00 dollar fram filter
9,000 dollar mower, 10.00 dollar filter
Make sense?:confused:

jkelton
11-26-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by trimmer
32,000 dollar truck, 4.00 dollar fram filter
9,000 dollar mower, 10.00 dollar filter
Make sense?:confused:

Prices of filters are very sensitive to yearly volume (alot of fixed costs in making filters) - Probably sell much more filters for the $32K truck than the $9K mower (plus increased competition for $32K truck filter market).

Likestomow
11-26-2001, 09:12 PM
Jkelton --- I am using the larger Kohler filter. The part number is: 277233-S. Can you cross reference that number and tell me the Fleetguard filter number? I was going to start using the Fram PH-3600…. any opinion on the Fram vs. your Fleetguard?

Richard Martin
11-27-2001, 06:38 AM
Likestomow wrote:
I was going to start using the Fram PH-3600….

If you going to use a regular Fram filter then you might as well just open up any old filter, remove the filter media, put the filter back together and use an empty can. I have taken the Fram filter apart and what's inside of it is junk. The use of a long filter is not necessary or required on any Kohler when the filter is changed on a regular basis.

I have opened up a few used filters including a Kawasaki and a Kohler. The only filter I ever opened up that didn't look like it was brand new was the Amsoil 1 micron bypass filter.

MOW ED
11-27-2001, 09:15 AM
I use the oem filters on my equipment until the engine warranty goes out then I change to Amsoil.

Walker even modified the area where you insert a "Kohler" filter on the 26EFI. It only takes the 01 but a little metal modification will be done next season.

jkelton
11-27-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Likestomow
Jkelton --- I am using the larger Kohler filter. The part number is: 277233-S. Can you cross reference that number and tell me the Fleetguard filter number? I was going to start using the Fram PH-3600…. any opinion on the Fram vs. your Fleetguard?

The cross reference to Kohler #277233 is Fleetguard #LF655. The Fleetguard cross ref. to Fram PH3600 is Fleetguard #LF3339. As far as the difference between the Fram unit and Fleetguard, I do not know. I do know that both of these Fleetguard filters are made in the US at one of our facilities in Iowa, so these filters do meet the strict quality and performance control we impose.

Richard Martin
11-29-2001, 10:41 AM
The same exact filter that my Dixie dealer just sold me (Wix 42276) for $43.76 is $9.74 at http://www.filter1.com. Guess where I'm buying my filters from now on for my Dixie.

I also found out that the BE90 Amsoil bypass filter that he charged me $36.95 for has a list price from Amsoil of $26.25.

I can't hardly beleive my dealer was screwing me in this fashion. Hey, I'm all for the dealer making a profit but this is just plainly highway robbery.

AltaLawnCare
11-29-2001, 11:21 AM
Thats about 80% gross margin on that wix! :eek:

jkelton
11-29-2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
The same exact filter that my Dixie dealer just sold me (Wix 42276) for $43.76 is $9.74 at http://www.filter1.com. Guess where I'm buying my filters from now on for my Dixie.

I also found out that the BE90 Amsoil bypass filter that he charged me $36.95 for has a list price from Amsoil of $26.25.

I can't hardly beleive my dealer was screwing me in this fashion. Hey, I'm all for the dealer making a profit but this is just plainly highway robbery.

FYI---If you have anyone who sell Fleetguard in your area, the cross reference to the Wix # is Fleetguard #AF435KM - I looked up the list price in our catalog; you should be able to buy this filter for somewhere near $10~$12 dollars.

Richard Martin
11-29-2001, 01:46 PM
I just got off of the phone with my dealer and he adjusted the prices of both filters. The Wix filter is now $14.00 and the Amsoil is $26.00 even.

thelawnguy
11-29-2001, 01:55 PM
And if you think he won't make it up by gaffing you on other purchases there, you are fooling yourself.

I'd find another dealer.

Ricky
11-29-2001, 02:58 PM
This may intrest you guys.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/