PDA

View Full Version : dig this letter

bobbygedd
08-01-2001, 11:14 AM
a few weeks ago while cutting at one of our stops where we have 5 in a row, a lady drives by, stops and asks can u look at my place, my lawn guy hasnt been showing up. we stop by, small resident, nicely kept. we write up agreement, $25+tax per visit, once a week . she says great, lets do it. we send bill for remainder of july=2 cuts+tax, =$53. SO GET THIS: she sends a blank check, with a long letter, "dear bob, i know we agreed on this price , but the more i think about it, you must be crazy, these prices are outragous! i have had about 7 or 8 lawn guys here in the last couple years and they have all done my lawn for $15. and what the hell is this sales tax thing? i have never been charged sales tax by a lawn service. i need alot of other work done, replacement of shrubs, trimming, etc. will this be included for the $53? as u can see i sent a blank check, when u come to your senses , i would like u to fill in the amount you need to be paid for these two cuts. and, also, i woud like my lawn cut only once every two weeks, not every week. u did a very nice job and i look forward to using your service in the future. thanx bob, xxxxx" END OF QUOTE. so, my anger management classes must be working cus im laughing about this, and unfortunately my phsycic abilities were not working that day so i could not see this coming. i wonder y her other 8 guys stopped showing up. if anyone who reads this is cutting grass for $15 in my area, please stop! and, if u r not charging/paying sales tax, u r a crook! thanx for listening, BOB

HOMER
08-01-2001, 11:20 AM
Your customer relations are astounding....................can't even get a full month in before the bitching starts!

I would be her 9th "lawn boy" that didn't show up though. Sounds like one of my customers that always has a problem, she calls and says "This is just a quirky thing"..............makes me sick to hear that word.

Guido
08-01-2001, 11:25 AM
She sent you a blank check (she's a dummy) but besides that she's giving you the power in the letter by saying to fill in what you need to get paid for these two cuts. I would add on a administration fee for the paperwork you'll have to update for taking her off of your schedule. Charge her $100

By the way, if you had a written contract, why did she question the price 2 weeks later? Doesn't make sense to me!

bobbygedd
08-01-2001, 11:52 AM
yes guido, a written contract, and STILL she pulls this crap! i dont think im gonna fill in the blank check, im gonna go speak with her about it. so, hows my anger management working? its this thing i saw ed norton and ralph cramden working on, every time u get mad u just stop and say, " pins and needles, needles and pins...." actually i dont know why i seem to attract all the loonies, i think its the water in this area(and no, i dont drink it, i only drink bottled water)

Guido
08-01-2001, 11:58 AM
Now I know your problem! Put the water down! ;)

Anyway, on a serious note, I would like to advise you to make sure you get at least your $53.00 from this loonie. If you get less, your the loonie one!

NEVER EVER back down a price that had been agreed on by both parties, especially when the "buyer" is happy with the service.

Do it once, and the word WILL spread, people will walk all over you and your company.

Be careful, I've seen it happen. Let us know how it turns out.

geogunn
08-01-2001, 12:05 PM
fill the check out for the agreed price, mail her a reciept along with a xerox copy of your voided service agreement.

OR, mow for $15 as she wants and each time you come take about 15 minutes and charge her a hundred bucks for for the trim job.

GEO

Scraper
08-01-2001, 12:15 PM
Did she sign this check? I wouldn't touch that check with a ten-foot pole! Take it back to her and have her fill it out for the $53 and no less. If you fill it out, next thing you know you'll be up on charges of forgery! If she's as looney as you say...beware!

After you are handed the check...as Geo says hand her a copy of the voided contract.

Bob_McNaughton
08-01-2001, 12:16 PM
Sales tax on a service?

Thats a new one to me.. Is this a state tax or local?

Scraper
08-01-2001, 12:17 PM
Better keep researching for next season Bob...I don't know about Michigan, but here in PA we also have to charge State sales tax on service.

TLS
08-01-2001, 12:21 PM
But, for some reason, we dont charge it on snowplowing !?!? Must be that snowremoval is a necessity, not a luxury.

Bob_McNaughton
08-01-2001, 12:23 PM
Just called my accountant, and confirmed there are not taxes on any services rendered in Michigan. Phew!

We got enough taxes around here (third highest taxed state in the US). Glad I don't have to mess with the sales tax bureau in this state, they are horrible.

My accountant says few states tax services. I feel bad for the ones that do. =/

Got Grass?
08-01-2001, 02:00 PM
sales tax is 8 % here.

thelawnguy
08-01-2001, 02:09 PM
Make out the check for the 53 she owes you, mark the back "lack of endorsement guaranteed" and deposit in your account. Yeah she'll probably raise hell with it, but I assume you are going to drop the ***** anyways so have some fun witrh it.

PS dont spend that 53 any time soon as it will soon be deducted from your account, at which time you can decide what type of issue you wish to make of it. And save her letter.

kutnkru
08-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
... but I assume you are going to drop the ***** anyways ...I agree with Bill. Take ONLY what she owes you as agreed upon, and then CHUNK her arse to the curb!

Kris

Chopper Lover
08-01-2001, 03:08 PM
She sounds like a nut ball...

I recommend making copies of everything and send the check and letter back to her with a second statement requesting payment. If you have a late fee arangement I would advise her of that also. If her payment is late, nail her with the fee.

Even if you don't get paid you should cut your losses and drop her.

Mark

crazygator
08-01-2001, 11:09 PM
Bobbygedd,
Aren't you going to wash her car, take out the trash, and oh yeah clean the gutters all for $15.00??? LOL! Just remember "Pins and needles, needles and pins", then be careful how you deal with this one. Might be better to drop it and run, than to cash a check and her get really screwy with you. Hope it works out.

fivestarlawnken
08-01-2001, 11:36 PM
go back to this lady and get cash or anything valuable because if she is handing out blank checks she is crazy or broke???????and dump her:blob1:

Scag48
08-02-2001, 01:16 AM
I'd say get your $$$ than dump her. She'll probably give you trouble in the future. I've had weird customers and dumping them before it gets worse is better. This one guy I had (read my post about the safety glasses) was such a looney, he couldn't remember how many days we had agreed on to cut. He said 2 weeks, in my book is 14 days, but now he thinks it's 10, he said so on the invoice he sent back to me after I sent him his bill. I don't have that job anymore, thank god. 1 week to him is 5 days a week, so 2 weeks is 10 days. He lives in Seattle with all the Microsoft dudes so go figure. 9-5, 9-5, 9-5...

bobbygedd
08-02-2001, 01:25 AM
no problem then, just charge him by the month, 30 days , one cut per week, every 5 days, equals 6 cuts per month, bingo

KirbysLawn
08-02-2001, 02:14 AM
You get some funny ones!! Do as Bill or Scrapper said and get the money first and then kick her to the curb!

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-02-2001, 03:02 AM
hi guys she must be a nut. i would be very nice to her.i would charge her 50.00 and i would eat the tax.i also would give her a phone number for my landscaping buddies just to break thier ba..s, and laugh about it.

SLS
08-02-2001, 09:09 AM
She reminds me of a lady I talked to last week (bidding her lawn).

In the course of our conversation I found out that she would fire any lawn service that would not trim her bushes and shrubs as part of the mowing service.....every time that the mowing was performed....and at NO EXTRA CHARGE! She must have had 50 shrubs in that yard.....

I found out that she would agree on a price quoted to her for standard mow, trim, and blow and assume that this bush work was supposed to be part of the deal!

I explained that hedge and bush trimming was an 'add-on' service unless she obtained a full service mantainance package but she would have no part of it......."Thats not what my husband told me, yak, yak, yak...."

I spoke with one of her neighbors a few days later who saw my truck in her driveway and he asked: "So, are you going to do Ms. XYZ's lawn?"

I explained what the circumstances were and he burst out laughing. He said: "That woman is a complete loony-tune and we (the neighbors) were wondering why there was a different lawn guy at her place every other week."

I said: "Maybe I should go back and talk with her husband and try to explain the shrub work to him. Surely he would have to understand that extra service=extra time=extra service?"

To which the man replied: "Well that may be a little difficult as her husband has been dead for about 15 years! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think she is ready for a "home"...if you know what I mean. ;)

cos
08-02-2001, 01:52 PM
Awesome story SLS,

I think we all had a few wacky accounts from time to time and think that I had more than enough. I think the older the odder.

TheMom
08-02-2001, 02:21 PM
You know, I just wonder if there's any money in that account in the first place...

Send back the check and RUN from that woman! Count this as a cheap lesson.

Mike (MLC)
08-02-2001, 02:57 PM
Maybe she has popped one too many Prozac!!! I wouldn't continue with this weird looney woman if I were you. No tellin' what she might do next. I've never had someone send me a blank check before. I did have one crazy lady who forgot that I was here lawn man and tried to run me off her property because she though I was snooping around. Then she thought I stole all her trash cans. Finally, dropped her, I don't even think she realized that I was no longer her lawn man. You never know with people these days. One minute they're normal or so you think and the next minute they sound like they have fallen off the wagon!!!:rolleyes:

solaras
08-02-2001, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru
I agree with Bill. Take ONLY what she owes you as agreed upon, and then CHUNK her arse to the curb!

Kris

Huh?

solaras
08-02-2001, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru

Afterall, If a cat had kittens in an oven, Good 'Ol boy's wouldn't call 'em Biscuit's

Kris

I mean "huh"?

Fallguy
08-02-2001, 04:01 PM
go on take the money and run!:blob3: :blob1: :blob4:

powerreel
08-02-2001, 06:04 PM
Guido is right. $100 and bye-bye!!! Return the contract to her after the check clears.

ronslawncare
08-02-2001, 08:39 PM
pins and needles needles and pins its a happy man that grins i love that episode when he gets his rent raised .any ways do what ralph does you have to be the general and dont stand for any crap .hey was that 8 landscapers in one yr you should ask.

jay
08-02-2001, 11:15 PM
Hey I need a vacation can you sign that check over to me. I have one customer who has me fill out her checks for service for her because she trust me that much. But never hjad one complain and give me a blank check. That is pretty funny.

bobbygedd
08-03-2001, 12:37 AM
UPDATE: i explained the situation to my leader(wife), and i think she needs the pins and needles thing, cus she said bull sh**t, give me that check. goes to the bank, tells the teller what happened, teller fills in the blanks(this is for real), wife stamps back for deposit, and in it went. so.....if u dont hear from me for a while, u know im in prison. p.s., dont drink the water in N.J.and there is no way im gonna work for this lady again, BUT, unlike i usually do , im gonna be real nice to her and explain why we cant continue. we are licensed and insured proffesionals, we must keep minimums....etc. i really dont think this lady is a bad person, just a little kooky. thanx for all the replies

kutnkru
08-03-2001, 10:44 AM
Solaras

That was the answer that a friend of mine in Jefferson, Ky. made in rebuttle to a conversation about the infiltration of Damn Yankees into the So. Region.

I thought it was funny so I put it in my sig for a while.

As for the term "Chunk" its the same thing as to throw something, just like in NC you "Mash" buttons instead of pushing them, or Duke Power will "Cut" your lights on rather than having them turned on.

Just different dialects is all. LOL!

Kris

gogetter
08-03-2001, 03:52 PM
Bobby, I had a reply in mind, but you hit the nail on the head in your last post. EDUCATE this lady! Yes, drop her like a hot potato, but first educate her as to why your prices are what they are, and explain why she has had so many other lawn services over the years.

And Bob, don't be afraid or feel bad about giving her a bit of attitude when educating her. Remember, she called you crazy, said your prices were outrageous, and told you to come to your senses.

Charles
08-03-2001, 09:06 PM
She is a freak. Tear up the check and send it back to her. The trouble is just beginning if you start working for her. She will always think you are taking advantage of her and will tell everyone that

bobbygedd
08-04-2001, 12:35 AM
gogetter, believe me , i have no problem being rude or having an attitude. my logic has always been, that if anyone is messin with my money, or my work in any way, u are messin with the well being of my 2 little boys( 1 and 3), and i have a tendancy to become a bit nutty. trying to control that, but still at this point in my life if a customer is a pain in my butt, i try to nip it right away, strait to the point. too busy to mess with people who will not be on my schedule in the future. see yas, im off to vacation